#1 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Seeing as this is a mostly Production/IDPA centric forum I figured I'd post here to get the real dirty on what I should do to make my impending entry into this division with a higher probability of success.  I've been busy this week trying to assemble my rig and finally get some dry fire in.  I bought a cheap Blade-Tech Revolution holster and bolted it up to my drop offset belt attachment and the gun (G34) sits pretty good although it may need to be shimmed if someone were to measure the belt to grip distance.

I have 3 mags for the gun and need another two at least.  I have three Blade-Tech Pro-Series Competition mag pouches and need at least one more.  So far I've just been getting the gear situated legally on the belt and practicing some draws and mag changes.  Big difference between my 2011 and the 34.  The Glock seems to draw to a clear and accurate sight picture much faster than my 2011 does.  Not sure if it's the weight of the gun or the design that is conducive to my natural point of aim.  Maybe both.  

I've got my 550 set up to load 9mm and I have about 180 147 gr. Precision moly bullets to work up a load with.  I haven't been able to order anymore bullets as of yet and I'm still researching the best option for what I'm trying to do.  I'm going to chrono some loads tomorrow and see if I find something that works.  The Precision bullet has a pronounced shoulder on it that doesn't headspace in my chamber loaded longer than 1.12 which is weird because a round nose jacketed bullet headspaces out to 1.16

I'm starting out using 231, although I also have WST, and Unique to work with if need be.  I've seen pros and cons for each powder.  Mixed range brass and Federal SPP's.  

The shittiest part of this transition is that I chose to do it at the least opportune moment in a financial sense.  Started a new career, and the tax refund is still out a few weeks.  I'm chomping at the bit to get going but have limitations and don't want sell any of my Limited gear.  I'd even take advantage of Ben's class in Volusia in a couple weeks if I had the dough.  what better opportunity to get into Production than in a class with one of the best.  

If anyone has a couple G34 mags they want to sell cheap and a mag pouch I would definitely pay it forward when I can.  I'm ready to see what all the fuss is about. 

• JohnesMl likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#2 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Sell the 2011. You'll have enough for the class, a ton of bullets, and a back-up Glock or 2. 

• Ben and Frask like this

#3 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think that you need to dick around endlessly with every combination of powders, bullet type, and OAL imaginable, because that's the shit that really matters. And you absolutely want to spend a couple range sessions trying out different recoil springs.

• leas327, Twinkie, Just Shoot and 1 other like this

#4 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Maybe I will see you when I am down in Florida.

#5 md12393

md12393

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Sell the 2011 to me. You'll have enough for the class, a ton of bullets, and a back-up Glock or 2.

FIFY
  • B_Seehawer likes this
"You need to be bitch slapped" - Sean Gaines

#6 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm not ready to sell my 2011.  It is my first and only custom gun and to be honest, until I've shot some Production, I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment.  

I'm also not one of those nerd alchemists that enjoys reloading and trying every fucking combination of powder vs bullet vs spring to shave off a billimeter of recoil.  I'll find something quick that I like and get used to it.  

As far as your course goes Ben, unless I can somehow roll the Tooth Fairy on his way out of my neighborhood one night, the only chance we'll hook up here in FL is if you put on a fake mustache and shoot one of my club matches incognito just to fuck with us.  I'm just starting out in Real Estate so I probably won't get paid too much for the next couple of months and have to live off my foo 'tamps and EBT.  I could scrounge the ammo (maybe make a YouTube video and beg) but it's the cash that hurts.  I'm already pushing the envelope and being less than frugal with the new gun and gear.  My loving wife supports anything gun and shooting related but I doubt she'll see the necessity of a course right now.  

I'm just going to sell a bunch of million dollar homes this year and become a real estate baller.  Maybe get my face on some bus benches around here.  

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#7 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I didn't mean in a class.. I mean like class dinner.

#8 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I didn't mean in a class.. I mean like class dinner.

I like me a classy dinner.  Hey...  You wanna go to the Red Lobster?  My treat.

• Ben and Frask like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#9 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thread drift but I should've gone last year when you had it at the junk yard.  I shoot there all the time.  PM me or post your dinner plans and I'll come down.  I used to live in New Smyrna Beach, there's some good restaurants there.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#10 B_Seehawer

B_Seehawer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

As far as the bullet oal is concerned, you may need the leade reamed out on your barrel if you plan on sticking with moly bullets.

Don't worry, it's cheap to have done.

#11 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

As far as the bullet oal is concerned, you may need the leade reamed out on your barrel if you plan on sticking with moly bullets.

Any reason why when shooting minor to not just seat bullets deeper?

#12 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

not with a Glock. Those things have a mile of freebore. 

#13 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm not digging loading these moly bullets.  I don't like to flare the case too much on 9mm and these bullets are kind of inconsistent.  Some won't sit down in the case on the bullet seating station.  Two out of twenty are getting scraped.  I'm going to look for some Zero 147 gr.  I like jacketed bullets and I'll have much more OAL to play with.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#14 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Why not flare the case? Being concerned about ruining your 9mm brass after 10 uses or so is kinda gay.

#15 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Why not flare the case? Being concerned about ruining your 9mm brass after 10 uses or so is kinda gay.

I don't care about the brass, I'm going to Glock the fuck out of it anyways.  Just the way I was taught to do it.  Brass is free around here.  I'll probably make an adjustment.  I'm spoiled as I've been loading the same recipe for .40 for over a year now and haven't had to change a thing.  I don't do change well which is why this Production thing is well... a production.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#16 TSO

TSO

Mr. Sunshine and positivity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

As far as W231 powder. 3.7g of W231 with 147g bullet makes minor out of my G17. Feels good and shoots great as well.
Look into Xtreme Bullets 147g plated. They shoot awesome and load great. Just don't overcrimp. I set my crimp at .379" with a 1.140" OAL
Tim Herron
TY68934

#17 dsa

dsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm not digging loading these moly bullets.  I don't like to flare the case too much on 9mm and these bullets are kind of inconsistent.  Some won't sit down in the case on the bullet seating station.  Two out of twenty are getting scraped.  I'm going to look for some Zero 147 gr.  I like jacketed bullets and I'll have much more OAL to play with.

http://www.doublealp...r/powder-funnel

Get one of these powder dies and you won't be scraping the coating off of your coated bullets anymore.  It was recommended to me and I was suprised how well they work.

#18 M91196

M91196

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Get one of these powder dies and you won't be scraping the coating off of your coated bullets anymore. It was recommended to me and I was suprised how well they work.

Mr Bullet funnel is king, it's even better when your dropping bullets thru it.

#19 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

I adjusted the powder die.  Should be fine.  Range tomorrow.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg

#20 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Get one of these powder dies and you won't be scraping the coating off of your coated bullets anymore.  It was recommended to me and I was suprised how well they work.

That shit is expensive. How can I afford a Hundo gauge if I'm buying golden drop tubes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users