96 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

4 Reasons I’ll never go to Front Sight by Caleb •  April 3, 2014

There are a lot of great training schools and instructors out there. Long time readers of the blog know that I’ve never included Front Sight in that list, and there are good reasons for a lot of that. If Front Sight was just a training school using obsolete techniques, that would be one thing. But there are many, many problems with Front Sight that extend beyond just their training.

front_sight.jpg

1. Doctrinal Weaver

Let us be honest for a moment: Weaver is obsolete. Modern Isosceles, as used by every top tier shooter on the planet, is better. Yes, you can absolutely prevail in a self-defense situation using Weaver, and a well trained Weaver shooter is very capable. However, Front Sight teaches Weaver as The Only Way, and still teaches it as close to the original Modern Technique as possible. Even Gunsite, the fountain of Weaver has adapted their stance over the years. That’s why I always tell people, if you want to learn how to shoot Weaver properly, go to Gunsite. They started it.

2. Their prices are insane

Front Sight’s 2 Day Handgun Course is $1,000.00. You read that correctly, that’s one thousand American dollars. Which doesn’t include lodging or travel. Their four day pistol class is two grand. $2,000 is a lot of money, and again it doesn’t cover travel. By contrast, InSights Training Center’s 2 Day General Defensive Handgun class is $450 per student, and is located in Bellevue, WA surrounded by decent hotels and restaurants instead of BFE, NV. Or if you want to take Gunsite’s 5-Day 250 Pistol course, it’s $1585. Which is cheaper than Front Sight’s two thousand dollar four day course.

3. Their instruction is mediocre at best

I’ve had students in my classes that are Front Sight graduates, and I’ve know shooters who were Front Sight instructors. The the students had to nearly be re-taught how to shoot, as their time at Front Sight had left them with dismal skills, to say the least. The instructor I knew was no better – the only thing he was actually good at shooting off was his mouth. This also matches up the AAR’s I’ve read from skilled shooters that have attended Front Sight.

4. Dr. Ignatius Piazza

The most important reason I’ll never go to Front Sight is their founder. I could ignore the six-sandwich condiment master certification, and I could ignore the terrible, spammy marketing that come out Front Sight. But I can’t ignore the Scientology and the fraud. I’ll have no truck with cultists or fraudsters. Going to Front Sight would directly put money in his pockets, and I’ll have no part of that.

We live in a golden age of training. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a firearms instructor these days, and that’s a good thing. So why, in this glorious land of opportunity would you ever spend money supporting Scientology going to Front Sight? For less money you could go to Gunsite or InSights, you could take a class from Chris Costa for less. Hell, for two grand you could fly me out to your range and I’d teach you 1 on 1 for three days.

http://www.gunnuts.n...to-front-sight/

#2 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Scientology just put out a hit on Caleb.

Mofo has been warned.

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#3 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like he has a personal problem with Front Sight. Him widdle feelings seem hurt.

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

#4 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Does seem like a hit piece. Caleb is all about the Benjamins so it must have to do with not enough cash for Caleb.

#5 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Caleb is dead. Tom Cruise is a legit Scientology hit man. Collateral is actually a documentary they did about the guy he replaced. That movie was a warning shot to Hollywood.

#6 B_Seehawer

B_Seehawer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Does seem like a hit piece. Caleb is all about the Benjamins so it must have to do with not enough cash for Caleb.

Lemme guess. Front Sight wouldn't pay Caleb to come out and take a class so he could give them a glowing review?

Takers?
  • spiffy likes this

#7 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

Maybe Front Sight just sucks and deserves to be called out for overpriced suckitude?
  • sirveyr, SlivGod, lpc and 4 others like this

#8 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

You're supposed to go to his Top 5 Firearms Training Schools.

I'm personally glad that Scientology exists, because without it A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant would never have come to be.

Team Xenu FTW!

#9 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

I went to front site when i first started shooting.   I made Grandmaster.   Fuck off.  

Tom Cruise FTW!

• Ben likes this

L2683

#10 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

What would/could Caleb teach me?

#11 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Maybe Front Sight just sucks and deserves to be called out for overpriced suckitude?

This.... Been there, did not buy the t-shirt.
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#12 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

QFT.  Good hit piece Caleb, I dig it. 

9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#13 red headed stranger

red headed stranger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Judging by the comments, Frontsight has released its Internet response team (aka shills).  I think that article was part of Caleb's cunning plan to get some free training certs.  

He better be careful, or Piazza might end up putting him in the "overflow classroom"  

the-walking-dead-terminus-finale-ftr.jpg

#14 B_Seehawer

B_Seehawer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

What would/could Caleb teach me?

For 2k?

#15 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Dr. Mike Piazza was a beast behind the plate though. Dude could ball and made those Rogain commercials. It's no wonder he needed to learn self defense. He must constantly beat pussy off with a stick.
  • rballz and Scott like this

#16 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

For 2k?

Yeah,  I mean for the paltry sum of $666 per day, Caleb will come teach me.  I am fairly certain most GM's would do that.  I know several that are FAR cheaper.  And they have actually WON something of notoriety.  

• B_Seehawer and Twinkie like this

#17 jakemartens

jakemartens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

sad thing is some IDPA suck'tard is getting ready to write Caleb a check to come and teach him how to shoot a Ruger at the next IDPA Classifier to make Marksman

• Scott, sirveyr and Twinkie like this

#18 Roper

Roper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Scientology just put out a hit on Caleb.

Mofo has been warned.

Hello - Caleb shoots IDPA. I think he can take of himself just fine.
  • sirveyr likes this

#19 PupTown

PupTown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

You guys think this is an interesting piece?

There's only been about - oh, I don't know- some 20,000 threads bashing Front Sight on every single gun forum that ever existed. Caleb is hardly going out on a limb here or doing any hard hitting journalism.  I don't think Caleb has ever had an original thought (or at least an original thought that made it to his blog.)

I didn't know Caleb had students, though. That's interesting.   I guess I shouldn't have a problem with someone that's been stuck in A class for years teaching as long as he doesn't charge too much and doesn't inflate his resume with a bunch of shit about top ten finishes without mentioning that they came in IDPA's revo division.  

#20 jakemartens

jakemartens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

You guys think this is an interesting piece?

There's only been about - oh, I don't know- some 20,000 threads bashing Front Sight on every single gun forum that ever existed. Caleb is hardly going out on a limb here or doing any hard hitting journalism.  I don't think Caleb has ever had an original thought (or at least an original thought that made it to his blog.)

I didn't know Caleb had students, though. That's interesting.   I guess I shouldn't have a problem with someone that's been stuck in A class for years teaching as long as he doesn't charge too much and doesn't inflate his resume with a bunch of shit about top ten finishes without mentioning that they came in IDPA's revo division.  

Hometown: Fishers, IN

Caleb is known in the shooting community as “The Little Giant” because, even though he stands at 5’6″ and 145 pounds, he out-shoots guys that are bigger and faster. He started shooting at the age of eight. His Coast Guard Academy training and classes at Gunsite and Blackwater USA helped him amass trophies at the Indiana State Steel Challenge, the Ray Chapman Speed Event and the Indiana State IDPA tournament. Also a writer, Caleb runs a shooting sports website to help introduce people to competition shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users