#22 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Taking my first day off of practicing since 4/19-4/20 class.  

Last night, while practicing micro reload drills, I was somehow even flubbing the insertion of the already positioned mag.  It seemed impossible, but when the beeper would chime, I'd rush to slam it in and bring the pistol up to a sight picture, and occasionally the mag would get cockeyed and hang up on the well somewhere.  I mean seriously.... it's like a few centimeters of movement, and I'd screw it up somehow.  

Did some timed full reloads and couldn't come close to the 1 second par time.  Bumped the par time back incrementally and was only able to do it at about 1.7 seconds.  

So... anyway.... break time.

#23 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

I do the same on reloads. I fuck up the angle of the gun to mag and jam things up. Fucking Single Stack...

1.7 is slow as shit, btw.

#24 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

:(

Been practicing for over a week to get that time.
Lol

#25 dels

dels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Video yourself from the front, and watch your shoulders during the reload.

I'm no speed demon, but what helped me out was relaxing my shoulders during the reload. I had a tendency to tense up and scrunch my shoulders up. Created too much tension and a ton of unwanted movement.

I got the idea from Ben's video. He looks relaxed, but with alot of speed very little movement in his head and neck.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• slink likes this

#26 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

1.7 is slow as shit, btw.

Yep, that's not a bad time for 4 aces.

#27 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Don't feel bad. I was doing 1.4 sec on the reload today in 4 aces... So I know what sucks and how to do it.

#28 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Ooh just found this feature on uspsa.org. cool.

That one damn miss. It was a half target with hard cover. Launched a WHO shot a half inch into the black. Grrrr.
anyway, cool to see a recap of the scores.

I didnt really understand the six for six stage. I blasted as fast as I could at 25 and missed a few. Looking on it now, I should have just shot six good hits rather than tryimg to reload and hose.

Fluffys revenge, not sure why I was so slow. I shot all paper first and then steel. But had a momentary pause on steel during a transition. Perhaps thats why

2qwzjo5.png

#29 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Went to a new indoor range yesterday to check it out. They dont allow drawing, rapid fire, or keeping your own brass.

Won't go there again. But since I was there, did some group shooting at 25.

Dryfired tonight. Was okay.reloads, el prez, bill drills, single handed stuff, timed draws, plate rack practice.

#30 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

I like the FlexBar:

I'm running a special next month.  I'm including a FlexBar with every purchase of the FlexFire System.  

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#31 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Been practicing for over a week to get that time.
Lol

Don't stop believin'

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#32 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

On reloading drills this eve, starting to work on tiny changes during the movements. Noticing more about the movement. For instance, focusing on the feeling of going from strong grip during sight picture, to relaxed during reload and back to strong grip dueing sight picture.

Moved one of my targets so that two are next to each other and one is much farther (long transition). It was messing me up at first, driving past it or coming up short. Then started getting it.

Practiced leaning around barricades and getting good upright sight picture.

#33 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

On reload micro drill, where mag is already in position merely cm away from mag well, I have been flubbing it and quite honestly astonished by this.

Tonight I felt that it was because at the beep, I was moving both hands at the same time. Thrusting the mag in with left hand and driving the gun out towards target with right hand.

I focused my thoughts on a very slight lag of the right hand movement behind the left hand. That seemed to make it more reliable.

Then I tried the drill where you dryfire six at each of three targets with a reload in between. I could barely complete this on the clock before. I would always flub a reload. When I did complete it, it was nowhere near the listed par time of 5 seconds.

Tonight I did it smoothly and completely five times in a row at around 5.5 to 5.7seconds, which surprised me.
  • dels likes this

#34 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Drove an hour to a match today.

HEAVY rain. Taping sucks. Went through two jackets and still wet everywhere (shirt and pants and hat).

Finished second in produxtion way behind a gm. Did okay on a few stages and really tanked the timing on a few stages taking forever. Had a few jams with reloads meant for my g26 (but used today in the g17).

Stages were high round counts and a lot of moving and running and different positions. Practiced a few of techniques I learned in BS class.

Classifier was "can you count" (first time seeing that).
shot all a's for 10.xx hf

#35 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Did a lot of draw prax, transfer to who, transition prax, and reload prax during dryfire tonight. Incorporated foot movement into the reload micro drills, "running" laterally while going for new mag or while seating mag.

Proficiency felt good. Elbow hurting though. Ordered the theraband flexbar today. Bought some more bullets too. No powder found. I do have some clays I could use, but I am not sure this is advisable.

#36 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

IF it goes bang and not BOOM it's good for practice.

#37 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Last night, I started looking up fancy competition guns.  I was seriously considering them, thinking, "I will be that much better..."  

This was a weird thought for me, because I have always argued the indian over the arrow and have always been quite happy with glock accuracy and handling.

This morning, I recalled a complex stage from last weekend's match where you pulled levers to open ports and opened doors and ran down corridors.

I think there were 4 reload points if I recall correctly. Well, anyway, I shot mostly a's and a few c's and hit all steel with first shot.  The GM ran it in  29seconds.  I ran it in 42 and messed up my reload points and went to slidelock while I was pulling up the rope for the port and shooting one handed.  From there, it was a slow motions shit show.

Anyway, the point I realized, is that making up 13 seconds, for me, cannot be done with a new fancy gun.  I need to shoot my glock and work on planning and moving. I think I just saved myself 1300 bucks.

• dravz likes this

#38 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

"Anyway, the point I realized, is that making up 13 seconds, for me, cannot be done with a new fancy gun."

That is a piss poor attitude.

#39 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Have been doing dryfire a bunch. Havent posted it all here... but still working on it...

Tonight had a late work meeting, so just sat down with my gun and a dummied up mag and practiced mocro reload drill with it cm away from mag well. Did that 50times. Picking up a sight picture and transitions after seating the mag.

Felt boring after 20. Still amazed I can flub it from that close. Did okay though. Maybe 6flubs out of the fifty.

Could kinda feel a certain tenseness in shoulders when I flubbed them. The successful ones felt different.

Will sleep on it.

#40 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Got my first classification.

65% B production

I sort of wish I wouldnt have gone to that match that ended up being a classifier match. I didnt want to get classified so quickly. I liked the idea of shooting matches and practicing over the course of several months before I got my class.

However, I guess it is good to see a base of where I am now at the very beginning versus next year or whenever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users