slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Got my card in the mail.

Thursday eve I was so excited... was going to practice actual live fire in an action bay with other uspsa shooters. They had told me there was practices on thursday nights.

Drove there and no one showed. I guess they are all at area one match or something. Oh well.

Took today off (no dryfire or anything).

Have a local match tomorrow

#43 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Showed up at the match a bit early. Walked through the stages. Made some plans. That part seems to be getting easier.

Rehearsed them in my mind. They all went fairly well! No forgetting reloads or anything. Just a couple extra shots on steel here amd there.

I think I did pretty good, but a lot of the good shooters were at area 1

#44 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

2nd in production behind a G 80% of his points out of eleven shooters

Notes: classifier can you count. Grip on first draw was really bad, grip low and loose in strong hand. Didnt seem to matter on that string though (still got all a's fast). That made me think of Ben's class and his demonstration of close quick shooting with poor stance, grip, sight alignment. Second string I think I focused too hard on a very firm grip and had a bit of trigger freeze.

Footwork was good and smooth for the most part. Practiced beforehand during walk through mainly focusing on efficient start positions and strong but smooth exits.

#45 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ordered a captains of crush number one. Will I be able to squeeze it? I work outdoors, used to weight lift a lot (benched 260 about a year ago). I use a cheap hand gripper that is supposedly 20-80lbs adjustable, and can do the "80" setting fifteen or so times.

#46 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ordered a captains of crush number one. Will I be able to squeeze it? I work outdoors, used to weight lift a lot (benched 260 about a year ago). I use a cheap hand gripper that is supposedly 20-80lbs adjustable, and can do the "80" setting fifteen or so times.

Bench isn't especially indicative of grip strength, but you should be able to close a 1 without much trouble. 

#47 Snizz1911

Snizz1911

Tripod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Agreed bench pretty much has nothing to do with grip but if your lifting and reasonably active should be fine with a 1. I always thought I'd develop grip strength with lifting, rep upper 300's on dead and 400# farmers walk, lifts that actually required grip. I was surprised when I got my CoC's how big of a pussy my grip is.
  • Dr. Yellow Visor Guy, Twinkie and GuanoLoco like this

#48 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I know, it's just an indicator lift that most people have an understanding of for comparison of general strength.

#49 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:44 AM

I started off with a T and moved up to the #1 in about a month.  I was progressing so well that I think I overdid it, working those things every day and sometimes twice a day.

At least with old man hands I think the muscles build up faster than the tendons can handle.  Ended up going backwards because I had so much pain in my weak hand.

Right now I'm just using the T and only three days per week.  Seems to be moving the right way now.

#50 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Right now, I only do my cheapo grippper twice a week, spaced out for max rest. I do finger band extensions almost every day though and that theraband bar tyler twist exercise.

#51 Snizz1911

Snizz1911

Tripod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Twice a week is probably good. I use them 2-3 times a week. I think Truk does his daily lol. With anything you can overdo it. I can't imagine feeling like working out the same muscle group more then twice a week max so my hands are probably no different. I do use the finger bands daily though.
  • Chance B. likes this

#52 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

I squeeze off forty reps on the 2.5 twice a week, four sets of ten. I've maintained strength without injury or fatigue for almost two years now.

#53 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Damn you must be strong. Which ones did you start on?

#54 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I squeeze off forty reps on the 2.5 twice a week, four sets of ten. I've maintained strength without injury or fatigue for almost two years now.

Baller.

#55 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

Damn you must be strong. Which ones did you start on?

#1 then 2 then 2.5.

I also have a 3 but it feels so far beyond I've never actively trained to close it, afraid I'll break or hurt something in the process.

#56 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Just got my gripper in the mail.

.2zg9mpl.png

Whew. Glad I wasn't too much of a weakling to close it.
  • Snizz1911 likes this

#57 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

It is tough though. Cant do much more than a few at a time and my support hand is definitely not as strong. Cant really close that one all the way yet.

#58 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Be careful with the Cpt o'Crushers.  I used them for awhile, but after a few weeks started to develop some strain in a number of my fingers.  Overuse most likely.  Went back to jerking off as normal.  Haven't had the issue since. 

But seriously, don't over do it which is easy to do.  Applies to both exercises.  B)

"You can give it the old spin."

#59 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yeah I am only going to do twice a week.

#60 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Shot a local match today. Things I learned or felt:
- I feel way more comfortable now.

- I like showing up a bit early, doing a walk through the stages to see what they are and forming an early preliminary plan.

- I can form these plans in my mind easier and quicker now.

-i used to worry mainly about remembering all the targets and tryimg to run the stage in the least confusing way.

-now I figure out the targets quickly, identify reload points, look for visual keys for foot placement, look for more efficient routes.

-i tried to push it a little and go faster instead of worrying that I might not get an a. Times were much faster but I did throw a few mikes today (first time for that think).

-sprinting full blast to the next position, downhill, then putting the brakes on could have been drastically bad. I slipped but regained traction just in time. I followed that up with two alphas but I almost ended up on my ass.

- times were a little closer to the top guys. But still a few seconds behind. Gotta make up time in reloads, movements, etc.

Shot my Glock 26 (subcompact).
Was pretty good with it, but suffered a little on longer shots. Shot one complex stage all alphas with the babay glock.

7/27 in production
went gm, gm, m,a, a, b, me( b ) so that makes sense.
  • Stubb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users