• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 rmantoo

rmantoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Wish I had video. I was at a friends range. We had set bowling pins up in between the plates and set the drill up to take the 5 pins, reload and engage plates. The pins made me really be honest with myself but after taking them, the plates just seemed to be child's play. We did probably 10 runs on that drill and then some straight plate racks.

This type of training is making more and more sense to me.  I've been shooting a LOT of El Prez's and Bill Drills using 1/2 sized targets, running them 2-3 times, then shooting the drill with full sized at the same distance.  I've been consistently improving my times on these- I think in equal parts due to dry fire practice, and using 1/2 sized targets.

I've got some 2" plates I use for .22 practice, and I think I'm going to start using them for plate rack work...

I shot my first Steel Match recently and went absofa king lootely crazy for coco plates when I came in 2nd in my class.  REALLY enjoyed it.  3+ hour drive back to the house, and my wifey was kinda surprised that I shared my hard on with her instead of hanging my scoresheet on it and parading around the local gun club.

#62 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I don't know why steel challenge is so hated around here, it's some fun shooting steel as fast as you can.

IMO one of the major keys on the plate rack is that first shot, both speed and set up, hard to have a good time if your pistol is pointing somewhere different every shot and on the other side there's no way to make up for a 1.75 first shot. Also don't let yourself slip into auto drive, how many times have you seen someone just killing them and then a big miss and then back to killing? It's like you need a miss to wake your ass up sometimes.

Practiced up I can shoot target focus at 10 yds but once to 15 I have to focus on the sight. Before my eyes went to shit I could target focus big paper targets out to 25 easy on a good day, 50 if the having a great day but pretty dicey. I'm thinking you have to play the cards you have and work on ways of getting more good cards.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users