50 replies to this topic

#21 Death Mechanic

Death Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Did those MGs have an exposed lead base or where you using JHP or CMJ? Thanks for the video

• Prailltrearia, cucvxmjcio, ammyreslsa and 1 other like this

Fix it to death

No love for MFCEO  

#22 poopgiggle

poopgiggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

A short video comparing BBI, Montana Gold and the new coated bullets from SNS Casting. I used Solo 1000 and VV N320 out of a Stock 2.  Obviously, the MG weren't as "smokey" as the non-jacketed ammo but there's not much that can be done about that. The smoke looks worse than it actually is, especially with it blowing at the camera. Jake Martens has a more detailed video posted using a Limited gun. I found there to be very little noticeable smoke from behind the gun, both at testing and at a local match that I shot them at. I did my best at the end to give a "behind the gun" view to get a better idea of what is seen. The side view always make it seems worse. The BBI's were a little more "smokey" than the SNS but I think it's safe to say that SNS has stepped up into the coated bullet market with a very quality product. I think BBI is planning on coming out with a new bullet with the same coating that SNS is currently using. Anyways, SNS has great prices ($76 per 1k of 147gr compared to BBI's $89 per 1k of 147gr)  and even better shipping, Ususally, you'll get a tracking number the same day you order. The barrel was pretty much spotless after the local match and when loading them you don't get a black residue on your fingers. These are definitely a quality bullet for both practice and match ammo.

http://www.snscasting.com

Keep in mind that BBI's prices include shipping but SNS's don't.

SNS still ends up being a few dollars cheaper I believe but it's not that much different.

#23 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I will absolutely order up 2500 .45 180 SWC as soon as they are available in moly.

Can't wait!

#24 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Got a few of these for testing in 45. The look great, but my Redding Competition seating die hates them. I may have to dig out the old lee seating die, if I can find it. 

#25 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Got a few of these for testing in 45. The look great, but my Redding Competition seating die hates them. I may have to dig out the old lee seating die, if I can find it. 

Do tell. I wonder how the die could be all that odd that it doesn't like a .45ACP bullet profile. I thought there was just "round" and "flat."

#26 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Do tell. I wonder how the die could be all that odd that it doesn't like a .45ACP bullet profile. I thought there was just "round" and "flat."

The redding comp seating dies uses a spring loaded sleeve that seats the bullet indexed on the ogive instead of at the top/point. I mic'ed a few and there's some variation of the bullet diameter on the ogive past the driving bands which causes .015-.020" variations in seating depth with that particular die. The diameter variation is most likely inconsequential if a normal seating die is used. I'm using the 230 RN. Looking at the profiles, I think the 200gr wadcutters would work fine with the comp seater die. 

#27 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Interesting, thanks.

#28 md12393

md12393

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Keep in mind that BBI's prices include shipping but SNS's don't.
SNS still ends up being a few dollars cheaper I believe but it's not that much different.

Duly noted
"You need to be bitch slapped" - Sean Gaines

#29 md12393

md12393

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

Did those MGs have an exposed lead base or where you using JHP or CMJ? Thanks for the video

CMJ.

#30 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Learn to read and those subtitles won't confuse you so much. I agree that the video was good for comparison.

#31 Xarmyguy77

Xarmyguy77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Glad to hear you guys are doing coated now, just ordered a couple thousand to try!

#32 Supsup

Supsup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Very nice!
I want to try too..

"Lover of all good things"

#33 bkeeler

bkeeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Are the 40/10mm 180's coated available? I ordered on Nov 11th still showing awaiting shipment. Just curious.....

#34 jcc7x7

jcc7x7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

bought 2000 9mm 124gr

Bulleye load not as accurate as I would like

TG smoked a little but was accurate

WSF load no smoke gentle push at 130 PF and accurate

WSF seems to be my go to powder for lead in the 9mm

All above loads were worked up until they hit 129 or above PF for uspsa production class in a SIG 226

Seem like good stuff

jcc7x7

#35 poopgiggle

poopgiggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Just put in an order for some 147gr bullets.

Right now I'm loading lead and moly with WSF. I have high hopes.

#36 bkeeler

bkeeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Received my order today loaded some up and testing tomorrow. I did notice on some of the bullets where the lube ring is was lacking some of the coating. I don't know if that will make any difference or not.?

#37 md12393

md12393

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I noticed that it did not make a difference

#38 Intel6

Intel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

The way the coating is applied it can be hard to get it down into the lube recess in the bullet.  I have found I need to add a bit more of the coating and swirl them around a lot more to get them to get coated.  Looks better but really doesn't affect anything. The part that touches the barrel needs to have the coating so it doesn't matter if there is any in the grooves other than asthetics. 

Neal in AZ

• SNSCaster likes this

#39 bkeeler

bkeeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think I just found a new bullet! . I am using TG and tested these bullets indoors they smoked a little more than the PD FMJ's but it wasn't bad. The smoke disappeared very quickly. I shot 100 rounds did not see any lead build up in the barrel from what I could tell. Never shooting a cast bullet before I am sold!
  • SNSCaster likes this

#40 Alan E

Alan E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

I had very good results with the SNS coated 180gr .40s.  I'd tried bayou before, and liked them, but you had to mail in a check back then; as far as I know you've always been able to buy stuff online...so I lost interest.

The 15% code and online ordering was enough for me to try coated lead again.  Smoke is about 1/3 of the way between MG and lead.  As for fouling, whatever was there, cleaned up in 5 minutes with Hoppes.    Good enough for my practice ammo for sure.  Might even become match ammo.

Good call getting rid of the discount.  Drug dealer in high school did the same...

"No Discourse whatsoever, can End in absolute Knowledge of Fact." Thomas Hobbes

TY43606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users