33 replies to this topic

#21 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

I just don't like your wording that a heavy gun with a light trigger "requires" a lighter grip.  Sure you need to hold onto a Glock because they only weigh 25 ounces but the trigger on it is irrelevant.  You can get them with 2 pound triggers and you still need to hold onto them.

#22 7HeavenCloud9

7HeavenCloud9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think you just missed the point. If you put very high gripping forces on the gun (in relative terms, I think 75 % of maximum support hand strength and 60 % of trigger hand strength are high values regardless of what your total strength is), then your trigger manipulation precision will suffer, compared to having a lighter grip. If your trigger is heavy, there will be less of a difference between the force your trigger finger is placing on the gun and the force from your other fingers. It appears this difference is difficult to master, so with a light trigger you would want to hold the gun with a lighter grip to have less of a difference there. And since with a heavier gun you would need less grip force to achieve the same recoil control result, that might be a worthwhile compromise.

If gripping rest of the gun had no effect to trigger work, then everybody would grip it as hard as possible, even bullseye shooters.

Because fighting (or in fancier terms ”managing”) recoil is such a big part of our game, we need to make compromises and for some people and some hardware/shooting styles that part is more important than others. Besides, the force used in the grip is itself just one of the many grip and stance variables, how strong of a grip is only a part of the question of how to grip the gun.

Also, I think this maybe one of those instinctive things where you might not realize these interactions between different forces, unless you really think about or experiment with them.

At least when I shoot my Glock 17, I don't think about going to grip it a lot harder than I grip my 40-50 oz pistols. It just kind of happens. I only realize it afterwards when the Gen4 pattern is imprinted on both of my hands.

I shoot like an amoeba with special needs!

#23 sampo

sampo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Also, I think this maybe one of those instinctive things where you might not realize these interactions between different forces, unless you really think about or experiment with them.

None of my pistols has devices that can measure grip or trigger forces, so I am only guessing here, but I think grip is as firm as possible no matter if it is 22lr, 9mm, .40 or .45 pistol. 

#24 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

Okay but I know CZ shooters who hit the COC's just as much as Glock shooters. You can justify to yourself not working out your grip strength however you want, but having immense grip strength is still basically cheating when it comes to shooting. You can dryfire for hours but not spend 15 mins with a COC? Twice a week?

You only need to deathgrip a gun if your grip strength sucks. Because see once you build muscle you get the same grip force with less effort.

#25 Severian

Severian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

This will help with your grip.

741390000.jpg?w=523

#26 Matt Mc

Matt Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I just grip the gun really hard, almost as hard as I can. I took a Mink/Stegger class about a year ago and they said I need to grip harder so I do. I work the COC's pretty regular..... It helps. I don't torque my wrists like Vogel does though, just not my style.

#27 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

... just not my style.

Shoot'um gangnam style!

I hope that song [doesn't stick] in your head today.   :)

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#28 Just Shoot

Just Shoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Shoot'um gangnam style!

(I hope that song sticks in your head today.   :) )

Yeah - - Thanks. That is my wife's ring tone. Hopefully it leaves the brain in about an hour now.

God doesn't want me to be a good shooter or he would make this easy.

Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better.

#29 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

After a couple of minutes (of it being stuck in my head) I came back and changed my post.  

EjzIJ.gif

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#30 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Music does not 'stick' in my head.  Am I the only one who can listen (in my mind) to whatever music I choose?

9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#31 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Music does not 'stick' in my head.  Am I the only one who can listen (in my mind) to whatever music I choose?

You have never caught yourself singing, whistling, or playing a song in your head and wondered where that came from?  

#32 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

No, I have, but it doesn't stay there if I don't want it.  Music doesn't get stuck.  I listen to what I want.

9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#33 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

What about the voices?

#34 Howie Feltersnatch

Howie Feltersnatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Yeah - - Thanks. That is my wife's ring tone. Hopefully it leaves the brain in about an hour now.

You should change that for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users