695 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Started shooting USPSA in January 2014.  I got hooked immediately and made some good progress in the last twelve months.

I found Ben's books and podcasts around the summer time and started a diligent dryfire training plan.  Thanks to this forum, I also found Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind which helped immensely with getting my mind right about my approach to competition and the correct way of thinking about winning.  Process > Results

I rose from an unclassified shooter to a 71% B shooter.  If you will recall, my primary goal in 2014 was to make A class in production.  I fell a little short, and was a bit disappointed, but I'm going to use that as fuel and motivation for 2015.  As mentioned above, my thinking has changed about making classification the end-all, be-all of USPSA shooting anyway.

I shot only local club-level matches last year.  I'm fortunate to live in an area with a thriving USPSA scene with a ton of really talented competition.  Toward the end of the year, I was regularly finishing among the top of the Production crowd and in the top quarter overall.  I had my first 1st place Production finish, which was a great feeling.

Stuff that hurt me:  Starting in L-10.  (I know, I know.  B classification there too.)  Little live-fire practice.  Too much emphasis on the static drills in the book and too little on movement and field course drills.

I'm still hooked, still hungry, and with that said, here are some goals which I'm writing down and posting for the doodieverse to see so it keeps me accountable.

1.  Shoot at least two "big matches" like state and area.

2.  Finish top twelve production in the GA state match.

3.  Live fire practice at least twice a month, or more, as ammo supply allows.

4.  Buy a Dillon and get started reloading.

5.  Resist the urge to dabble in the other divisions.

6.  Shoot like a Master; make Master class.

• Ben, Stubb, JohnnySr and 1 other like this

#2 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Nice! Good job. Will be watching.

Don't get sloppy in dryfire. I think inwas accepting a less than acceptable sight picture or trigger press. This affected me negatively.

I had to listen to some others and also try to remember how much "hard focus" amd concentration it took to get hard hits at a BS class I took in april.

#3 Reacharound

Reacharound

HondaTim nuthugger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationSouth Central L.A.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Tennis might be your friend.

#4 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Tonight focused on fundamental trigger control drills and more reloading, finishing with one-handed draws and transitions.

#5 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Ran several repetitions of Steeler Standards tonight, dryfire.

https://www.uspsa.or...fiers/08-02.pdf

#6 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Club match today.

Accuracy was excellent, everything felt "smooth" like it hasn't ever felt before in a match.  I've felt "flow" before in a stage, but never for the whole match.

I'm also doing better during walk-throughs and stage planning, visualizing my plan then executing.  No slide-lock reloads today, which I have struggled with before.  Also no penalties or mikes.

However, after every stage I came away thinking "I could have ran that so much faster".  I'm being just a little too conservative and deliberate.  Need to incorporate more of that on the very edge-of-control pace in my training.

Good day.

#7 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Club match today.

Accuracy was excellent, everything felt "smooth" like it hasn't ever felt before in a match.  I've felt "flow" before in a stage, but never for the whole match.

I'm also doing better during walk-throughs and stage planning, visualizing my plan then executing.  No slide-lock reloads today, which I have struggled with before.  Also no penalties or mikes.

However, after every stage I came away thinking "I could have ran that so much faster".  I'm being just a little too conservative and deliberate.  Need to incorporate more of that on the very edge-of-control pace in my training.

Good day.

What % of the points did you shoot, today vs. before you were serious?

Do you have any GM's or M's at your locals you can compare yourself too. 

#8 Reacharound

Reacharound

HondaTim nuthugger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Shit, i was A class outta the womb. Push harder, boy!!

#9 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

What % of the points did you shoot, today vs. before you were serious?

Do you have any GM's or M's at your locals you can compare yourself too. 

I shot 61% of the total match points of the combined winner, a GM Open shooter.

Previously I would hover roughly anywhere from 45-50%

Bear in mind I've only been shooting USPSA since January.

Yes, fortunately the two clubs I frequent are chock full of As and Ms with a smattering of GMs to watch and pattern myself after.

#10 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Push harder, boy!!

That's what your mom keeps telling me.

• B_Seehawer and JoeyBagODonuts like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#11 Reacharound

Reacharound

HondaTim nuthugger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

That's what your mom keeps telling me.

You guys are fucking brutal!
  • JoeyBagODonuts and TheGoblinKing like this

#12 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yes, fortunately the two clubs I frequent are chock full of As and Ms with a smattering of GMs to watch and pattern myself after.

You shot same match I did, I think. Steeler Standards can go to hell. I should have thrown that stage but did it like it mattered. Nice run but only 71%!? Ugh.

Was a fun match. Heat got brutal in the PM.

#13 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I meant of the points possible, how many do you get.  Say you have 10 targets; thats 100 points.  Are you getting 90-95% of them. 

#14 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

I meant of the points possible, how many do you get.  Say you have 10 targets; thats 100 points.  Are you getting 90-95% of them. 

Oh, thanks for clarifying.  By my calculations, I shot 96% of all possible points on paper, with 681 out of the total 710 possible points.  Not counting steel.

#15 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Was a fun match. Heat got brutal in the PM.

No joke.  It was hot.

#16 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Last night ran some drills with a shot timer app for the first time.  It's a humbling experience to think you had been just blazing through drills to find out you're actually slow as molasses.  The par times in the books are no joke.

I did:  Bill Drill, Reloads, and El Prez (terribly).  Towards the end I just kinda chalked up this session as a test of just how stupid fast I can move my limbs, just to get a feel for what's possible.  I found the buzzer does weird things to my draw grip.  Found myself missing/flubbing the grip a lot under pressure.  That's an area for further isolated training.

In the future I intend to back off the par times to the point where I can consistently hit them with good sight pictures, then shave a tenth at a time as I progress.

#17 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

El Prez is pretty hard on me as well. 

I wouldn't back off par times. What worked for me was to simply get used to doing the required actions in that par time. Now what I used to think was fast feels slow. I'm trying to see more (what I need to see) in a shorter time. How would limiting yourself to being slower make you fast, again? You said you got no mikes or procedurals but were too slow at the match. So you need to move faster and make shots faster. 

If you want to do slow reps, take the timer away and do them in a mirror or video record them. I find watching myself as I do the motions was helpful on draw and reloads.

• Roons likes this

#18 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

El Prez is pretty hard on me as well. 

I wouldn't back off par times. What worked for me was to simply get used to doing the required actions in that par time. Now what I used to think was fast feels slow. I'm trying to see more (what I need to see) in a shorter time. How would limiting yourself to being slower make you fast, again? You said you got no mikes or procedurals but were too slow at the match. So you need to move faster and make shots faster. 

If you want to do slow reps, take the timer away and do them in a mirror or video record them. I find watching myself as I do the motions was helpful on draw and reloads.

Wow, good points to consider.  Thanks!

#19 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I found the buzzer does weird things to my draw grip.  Found myself missing/flubbing the grip a lot under pressure.  That's an area for further isolated training.

Tense forearms or pushing hard to move fast are great ways to hose your grip. Stay loose. On the draw, I'm anticipating the feel of my strong hand settling up into the beavertail of my blaster, the pistol breaking free of the holster (I'm applying some forward tension as I lift it out), and feeling solid contact between my weak-hand index finger and the frame of the pistol.

#20 CB45

CB45

Granpaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Set your goals so you can achieve them, cool story bro!.

Ps. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users