654 replies to this topic

#641 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

I just got fed up with leaving the match knowing I didn't leave it "all on the field".  Life's too short to live with regret, especially in a hobby that's supposed to be the diversion to real life.

At the end of the day, who gives a shit if you mess it up?  The world still turns 'round.  

I'd rather leave pissed than leave with regret.

• SlivGod, Stubb, ralloway and 3 others like this

#642 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Looking forward to seeing you shoot at SC State next weekend.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#643 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Looking forward to seeing you shoot at SC State next weekend.

I can't wait!

Very happy that the match is back at palmetto.
  • BenB likes this

#644 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Things didn't change for me until I realized that I spent too much time, energy, and money on getting better just to show up and shoot scared at the big match.

I made a conscious decision to leave nothing on the table, and so I'm going to shoot the way I need to shoot to win (or at least maximize my potential results, depending on the match and who the competition is). If I crash and burn doing that, it's better than giving it a safe effort and being completely off the pace.

So I would do some introspection and discover what kind of mindset you're bringing to matches, and if it's unsatisfactory or is leading to unsatisfactory results, consider modifying it.

I personally get a lot out of a "match mantra" that is specific to a particular match. I'll use it in training for motivation and repeat it a lot before a match and even in a match. I used my mantra to keep calm at BITB and to refocus when I started to get nervous or let my mind wander toward the results.

This is great insight, T!

Having a focus for introspection is definitely helpful. I have been swimming around in my head trying to figure out "what was different" since I adhered to my process but still got less than my current level of skill.

I've never given the mantra idea the time of day... seemed silly to me, but maybe that's exactly the "pep talk" that I need to hear?!

Why a match-specific mantra? So it's more immediate? So it's fresh and not just repeating the same old thing?

At least I've got a few majors under my belt now that I have some experiences to reflect on and apply some changes moving forward.

Oddly enough, at the last major I shot, I didn't have much in the way of mental roadblocks cuz I was having recurring equipment issues that started on the 1st stage. I guess nothing distracts you from yourself more than being focused on something else! 😉

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!

#645 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Damn. That couldn't have hit any closer to home.
I know what I'm adding to my mental program...

Quoted for truth!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's just this guy... ya know?!

#646 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Why a match-specific mantra? So it's more immediate? So it's fresh and not just repeating the same old thing?

Yes, because it's (in theory) immediate and personally tailored to your skill level and personality and scenario.

Everyone's motivated differently.

I know the kind of self-talk that is compelling and relevant for myself better than anyone else.  

The ideal is that which will remind oneself to focus on process and not a result.  

• ralloway likes this

#647 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

Burned some more rounds getting tuned up for the big match Saturday.

Worked on "Short Moves" out of page 135 in the book. The scenario I set up was sort of tough, and maybe a little to choppy for the purpose of the drill. It didn't flow very well. Results were hot and cold. Would like to set this up a different way next time.

Also set up a mini stage and exercise in masochism featuring 30 yard partials. Toward the end of my ammo supply I started to get my trigger control dialed in. It's exceedingly painful at that distance because every error is immediately apparent.

The rest of the week I'll focus more on simple drills and confidence-building.
  • TCB likes this

#648 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

I shot the SC State match last Saturday, and had a good time with the Georgia G Unit.  Our squad was stacked and I was able to meet a couple cool guys I only knew from the internet and catch up with a couple cool guys that I see 2-3 times a year at matches.  

Hetherington shot on Friday and Nick Y. shot on Saturday AM, which was convenient for us to have some stage HF benchmarks to work with.  

The match was well administered and ran like clockwork, which is exactly what I anticipated from a Palmetto Gun Club event.  Zack and Donna Jones knocked stats out of the park, even giving us live stage results via email.  Very cool.

My shooting performance is best described as uneven.  I was pretty bummed I didn't make a better showing, but that just goes to show how much work is required to eat into that large margin between good and great shooting.  So it's good motivation to go get my ass kicked by someone in the elite range. 

I didn't visualize well, and I was uncomfortable several times going to the line, feeling unprepared.  I have a sense of when a stage is going to go well and when it's not.  It's pretty accurate.  Just not my best day of mental management and keeping my mind appropriately occupied in between runs. 

In other news, my next big match is IPSC nats in July.  To that end, I have begun practicing with my IPSC legal gun: a CZ Shadow 2.

It is very foreign to me, having next to no experience with DA/SA guns, not to mention the weight/heft difference going to a full steel gun from my airweight Glocks. 

It's going to be a fun little experiment. 

I have basically two months to prepare for the IPSC match with the new gun.  If I like it, and all goes well, I will switch over entirely and do all my shooting with the S2.  If it doesn't work out for some reason or I just prefer the Glock, I will go back to Glock.  The timing and the situation makes sense to give it a try.  We'll see.

• SlivGod, ZackJones, racetaco and 1 other like this

#649 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

a CZ Shadow 2.

• Sweet T likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#650 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Just came in from a quick live fire session.

I have been going back to basics with the new gun, stuff like Bill, Blake, draws, etc. Today I worked on accelerator (traditional distances). It serves as a nice comprehensive test. It's got everything.

So here are the results:

6.68 down 4C 1D
6.65 4C
6.23 4C
5.89 4C
6.03 4C 1D 2M
5.94 4C
6.09 clean
8.90 1C (missed load, mags flying everywhere)
6.17 3C
6.28 5C
5.68 7C
5.71 1C (C was draw to long target, called it mashing the DA)
5.00 7C 2D (went dicks out for the lulz)

As you can see, I improved generally as I went but had trouble dropping points. Most of it was in figuring out how the gun tracks and behaves in recoil. I feel I did alright with the first pull- I am thinking I can be on it much earlier and shave some time off the draw. Part of that is learning a new index, too.

All in all, I'm pleased. I am learning new things and figuring out how to run this thing. Reloads are pretty different. That last rep tells me I can be running it much harder than I am currently. I don't think there's any reason I shouldn't eventually be doing accelerator clean in the 5.5 range repeatably.

• SlivGod, Stubb and TCB like this

#651 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

Today I got the gun nice and hot running bill drills alternating 25y and 7y.

Results were not spectacular. This gun tracks out of the norm to me. A lot of horizontal stringing and weirdly a TON of low right hits. I am using crap 115gr ammo fwiw.

My peak times are about where I was with the Glock. I can run it faster in terms of raw trigger speed but the hits are not there yet. I've made no effort to reset my times and "slow down to get my hits"; I figure it's better to learn at full speed.

I was picking around with my last few mags of the day and set my 7y bill PR at 1.64 clean. I would like to run it at 1.50 but that would be a miracle run.

I can draw it just as fast as the Glock. I think it's actually a little more forgiving.

#652 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

7y bill PR

I'm curious the value of measuring this on a single run. There's no way to luck yourself in to a deadlift 30 lbs heavier than you're capable of, but you can luck in to hero runs on drills. Do you place a lot of stock in PRs or is it more of a "huh, that's interesting"?

#653 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

I'm curious the value of measuring this on a single run. There's no way to luck yourself in to a deadlift 30 lbs heavier than you're capable of, but you can luck in to hero runs on drills. Do you place a lot of stock in PRs or is it more of a "huh, that's interesting"?

I don't think that the information is valuable in a vacuum. But theoretically as your peak ability improves, with it your average improves. I picture it as moving the whole curve farther down the axis.

I think PRs are important to the extent that they are motivating, as long as you take care in drawing conclusions based on them.

But mostly it's fun to go dicks out and see what the upper limit of performance feels like.

• Stubb and racetaco like this

#654 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

motivating

fun

This is actually a really good answer. I tend to overanalyze a lot and neglect maintaining my own motivation sometimes, with foreseeable consequences.

• ralloway likes this

#655 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

If you did it once, you can do it again. And yesterday's lucky run is tomorrow's cold run.

• Sweet T, ralloway and racetaco like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users