702 replies to this topic

#701 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

I'm beginning to give some thought to 2019 and how I want my training to look and how I want to tweak my methodology.

In broad strokes, I want to be much more experimental. I want to train with other people and incorporate some different strategies. I think my training was pretty stagnant last year in terms of variety. Volume was good but more often than not I'd just pick a standard drill from the book and go to work on it any given day.

At this point, I want to expose myself to less rigid and more freestyle modes of practice and do things out of the norm. That's not to say be random or careless in my training, just try new/unusual/oddball things in my learning phases and then come back to the standard drills when training up for a particular match.

I know that I will push speed like never before this year. Specifically, movement and SOTM. Entries, exits, etc. I can hit all the stuff, but the guys better than me move better than me and they are more aggressive. I intend to take more calculated risks at matches and see how that pays off.

I think I am going to treat live fire and dry fire substantially differently as an experiment. Live fire will be about doing only things I can't perform in dry fire, the nonstandard stuff I'm talking about.

Dry fire will be fundamentals and really heavily emphasize gun handling. I want my basic manipulations to reach elite levels this season.

Overall, less standing still this time. Everything gets a movement component.

I'm still figuring out a match schedule, but as it looks now I'll be shooting fewer majors this year, and I'm okay with that. More learning and growth phases.

BITB is the only major in the first half of the year. I'll train up for that and then probably take another break because nats in November is a long long time away and I have a realistic expectation of burning out by then if I try to go hard all year.

I'm going to dick around with rifles and shoot some carbine matches and also some steel challenge. Our club is starting SC in the spring and I'm excited about that. Rifle shooting is a real deficiency in my skill set so I want to fix that. I only started USPSA with a goal of defensive proficiency in mind (obviously that morphed into a whole other kind of thing and competitive obsession) so I want to take a similar track with an AR15 so I can get good with that too. Should also keep me from getting burned out on pistol shooting.

More to follow, I just wanted to write down some thoughts while I had my mind on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• SlivGod and ralloway like this

#702 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

2018 Statistics

Nineteen practical shooting matches total
Two steel challenge majors
Five USPSA majors
One 5K run-and-gun match
Fourteen division wins
Two USPSA major division wins
90.4% points average across USPSA matches

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• SlivGod, Will, ralloway and 1 other like this

#703 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Good Shit! Looking forward to the encore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users