I taught MacGyver how to use a paperclip. paperclip.png

#42 Crystal Baller

Crystal Baller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

I'm on my second CED7000 after a warranty replacement. The first one crapped out after about 11 months of heavy use timing indoor matches and classes.

I use a phone app for dry fire. Better volume control than the CED, and I can wire it into my ear pro if I need to be super stealthy.

#43 Crash

Crash

Man Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEmbrace the Man Hack

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I have a shotmaxx that worked great for a while then it would get down to 40% battery then die, then 70% and die.  I sent it in for service over a month ago.  They are going to send me a new one but they are out of stock.  On enos another guy had the exact same trouble with the battery.  Only thing I dont like is you cant adjust the beep volume.  So I have to put tape over the speaker to use it in the house for dry fire but its conveniently always on your wrist.  If you are practicing at the range and its the only timer you have and you are shooting with a buddy you end up just holding it in your hand rather than using it as a watch.  I have never used the "spy" function or found a reason to want to use it.  If it would hold more than one string of fire it may be usefull to look back on after a match, but it only holds one string at a time. 

Looking at the CED7000 RF model.  They have a device (CED Time Keeper) you can sync it to when you are ROing that you give to the score keeper, it shows the time on that device so they don't have to follow you around and try to get the time off your clock. 

ced_tk.gif

#44 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

I have a shotmaxx that worked great for a while then it would get down to 40% battery then die, then 70% and die.  I sent it in for service over a month ago.  They are going to send me a new one but they are out of stock.  On enos another guy had the exact same trouble with the battery.  Only thing I dont like is you cant adjust the beep volume.  So I have to put tape over the speaker to use it in the house for dry fire but its conveniently always on your wrist.  If you are practicing at the range and its the only timer you have and you are shooting with a buddy you end up just holding it in your hand rather than using it as a watch.  I have never used the "spy" function or found a reason to want to use it.  If it would hold more than one string of fire it may be usefull to look back on after a match, but it only holds one string at a time. 

Looking at the CED7000 RF model.  They have a device (CED Time Keeper) you can sync it to when you are ROing that you give to the score keeper, it shows the time on that device so they don't have to follow you around and try to get the time off your clock. 

ced_tk.gif

They "double alpha" have had my shitmaxx for three months now. Within less than 6 months, the piece of shit just stopped working and would only display the time. I bought the big blue from competition electronics and it works perfectly.

#45 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

My shotmaxx was shit too. Spy mode never worked. Regular mode would need heaps of messing around to be accurate and it needed software updates.

I thought it had a quiet beep option though.

I upgraded to a CED7000. Simple is good.

#46 bailey

bailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

My Shotmaxx is crap too. I'll gladly give it to somebody for shipping cost, but you will need to send it in for repairs. It won't work! Barely used.

Rather than ask a question that will simply encourage everyone to tell you what they have, why not look at some youtube videos of high level shooters giving lessons or advice. Stoeger, Vogel...all those kinds of guys. What do you see?   Pocket pro

#47 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

I used a friend's for an evening and it worked. I've wanted one for a while, but now you tards have ruined it for me.

Thanks.
  • ZachJ likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#48 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Strange no one can make a shot timer that doesn't seem like it's a 20 USD unit made by Chinese child slave labourers.

#49 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Strange no one can make a shot timer for less than $100 that doesn't seem like it's a 20 USD unit made by Chinese child slave labourers.

FIFY

#50 Crash

Crash

Man Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Strange no one can make a shot timer that doesn't seem like it's a 20 USD unit made by Chinese child slave labourers.

The the pact timers and pocket pro do look like $20 junk.  Thats why the 7000 had my eye.  But it looks like the same company makes the shotmaxx that makes the other CED gear.  I could be wrong though. 

Anyone have complaints other than the screen in the sun for the 7000? 

#51 Crash

Crash

Man Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

I used a friend's for an evening and it worked. I've wanted one for a while, but now you tards have ruined it for me.

Thanks.

I like mine when it works.  But after only having it for 3 months and now its been in RMA for over a month I am looking for something else.

#52 Crash

Crash

Man Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

My shotmaxx was shit too. Spy mode never worked. Regular mode would need heaps of messing around to be accurate and it needed software updates.

I thought it had a quiet beep option though.

I upgraded to a CED7000. Simple is good.

Mine had two different tone options, but they were both loud as fook (nice when your outside).  Putting some tape over the speaker worked for me and kept the wife happy by not waking up the baby. 

#53 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

The the pact timers and pocket pro do look like $20 junk. Thats why the 7000 had my eye. But it looks like the same company makes the shotmaxx that makes the other CED gear. I could be wrong though.

Anyone have complaints other than the screen in the sun for the 7000?

Yep its hard to read most of the time. Gotta angle the screen just right.

#54 Roland THG

Roland THG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

I run my CED 7000 at multiple matches every month. I picks up rimfire well but doesn't seem to pick up stray noises. I haven't had any trouble with the screen washing out. After three years the battery is still working well.

Buy the skin to protect it.

enjoy every sandwich

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVIO

#55 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

Pro tip: for the price they all suck ass.

#56 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

Yep they are all a fucking rip off.

I actually really liked the 7000pro (could score targets on it) but it's discontinued now and some scab stole mine. :(

So I'm back to another regular 7000. They are easy to use. Good for df. Plenty of options etc. nice and compact, rechargeable etc. I like it.

If you just want the most basic match timer the speed timer 3000 is hard to beat. Great beep on it.

But for a personal timer used for training and df id suggest ced 7000 with pocket pro 2 as a close second. I also think for the $ the 7000 should include the belt clip and silicone cover.

#57 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

FIFY

Actually would be surprised to hear there is more than $20 in making them which includes packaging and shipping them in bulk.

The rest are middle men and mark up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users