#1 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

From Ken Nelson on Facebook:

I never thought I'd have to do this, but here goes... if PractiScore has helped your club, changed your life, given you back your life (or at least your Sat/Sun evening), or if you are otherwise pleased with the support and service (and value) you've gotten, then let your Area Director know.

It's easy - tell them at a match, or just email them. Their email is area#@uspsa.org. So if in Area 1 then area1@uspsa.org, and so on.

The background is that I got an anonymous note that at least one person at the USPSA was advocating ditching PractiScore. As well as making some inaccurate and disparaging comments about me and NiftyBytes.

This is mildly concerning to me personally, but irritating to me broadly since so many clubs have invested to use PractiScore based on USPSA selecting it. 

As I'm about to devote 2 weeks to building and running the USPSA National match, after running USPSA Steel Challenge, and hosting the USPSA Junior camp, I need this kind of shinola like a popper to the head!

But I don't pick when trouble starts, I just have to deal with it. And I prefer to deal with it via facts and general politeness, as well as documented benefit. 

I wrote PractiScore to help my club, and had little inkling that it would eventually be squadding thousands of shooters a month, or scoring tens of thousands a month, and visited by even more weekly. I'd hate to have it be wasted because Area Directors didn't have the facts. So let's correct that!

So let them know what your thoughts are. And please be polite!

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#2 T "G" O

T "G" O

The Gay One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

What happen?

#3 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

Clubs around here will dump USPSA before they get rid of Practiscore.

But what's the other half of the story? Did Ken ask for some $ to offset the cost?

Was that supposed to be in the $144K 'computer budget'?
  • mechanik likes this

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#4 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

My guess is Noise is bitching because Practiscore makes EZwin irrelevant. 

or it's some old luddite curmudgeon that thinks technology is scary. 

• Ben, poopgiggle, Miculek is a Noob and 2 others like this

#5 jabbermurph

jabbermurph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the morning chuckle

#6 vluc

vluc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Wasn't there some buzz about another scoring program recently used in Florida or somewhere?  Check who's involved, see who their friends are and just follow your nose.

Ah, found it, Wirtex out of Spain called MSSC.  Has to have a local vendor or group pushing it.

interesting post here : http://uspsa6.org/new/?p=93

#7 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yes, I came up with it after the PVH fiasco. It's called EZ-Score and it works like this... Each squad nominates a magnanimous scorer who basically hands out scores as he sees fit.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#8 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Clubs around here will dump USPSA before they get rid of Practiscore.
But what's the other half of the story? Did Ken ask for some $ to offset the cost?
Was that supposed to be in the $144K 'computer budget'?

I'm Scoring Bitch for my club. Practiscore goes, so do I
  • Dr. Yellow Visor Guy and ZackJones like this

#9 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yes, I came up with it after the PVH fiasco. It's called EZ-Score and it works like this... Each squad nominates a magnanimous scorer who basically hands out scores as he sees fit.

you:     "What's the round count on this stage?"

RO:      "Whatever the fuck I want"

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#10 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

My guess is Noise is bitching because Practiscore makes EZwin irrelevant. 

I stand corrected on Noise. He's actually had some nice things to say about it on FB. Mea Culpa. 

Wasn't there some buzz about another scoring program recently used in Florida or somewhere?  Check who's involved, see who their friends are and just follow your nose.

Ah, found it, Wirtex out of Spain called MSSC.  Has to have a local vendor or group pushing it.

interesting post here : http://uspsa6.org/new/?p=93

That system seems pretty slick, having followed a few friends' FL Open results in almost real time. No idea how the input interface is, though. 

• Cajun cracker likes this

#11 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

That's called IDPA.

"Cover!"
  • Dr. Yellow Visor Guy likes this
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#12 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

travis-haley-magpul-dynamics-CEO.jpg

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#13 rvb

rvb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Has USPSA put a single nickle into Practiscore (other than tweaking EZWin to import data it generates)? Do they have NiftyBytes under some form of long-term licensing and/or maintenance contract?

USPSA does not appear in control of their fate on this issue.  They need to be, or it will cost them more in the long run.  They need to ensure the apps work with the website (direct uploading of scores and activity/classifier reports for instance), that bugs and fix-it tickets are resolved in a timely manner, etc.  Right now, it seems that if the app developers said "screw this, I quit" then USPSA would be f'd since they announced EZWin won't be available much longer (and they won't be able to maintain it going forward if they wanted to). 

I personally don't care if it's practiscore we use going forward or some other electronic scoring app, but whatever they use, they need to ensure it'll be available/maintained for several years, have similar performance (or better, eg real-time scoring) to practiscore, integrate well with the website, and work on the hardware our club has already purchased.

-rvb

#14 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Has USPSA put a single nickle into Practiscore (other than tweaking EZWin to import data it generates)? 

USPSA hasn't done shit. The Niftybytes guys did all the work, getting their data massaged into whatever fucked up format EZWin requires from the old Palm scoring days. The only EZWin patches in the past 2 years were related to classifiers and activity fees, nothing to do with PS.

#15 rvb

rvb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

USPSA hasn't done shit.

That's what I thought.  And now they are pissing off the guys doing all the free work?  Let's hope they don't take their ball and go home.  I don't see a strategy from HQ here other than taking advantage of the free app developers and attaching big risk to the $ they spend on their website development that it'll be viable long-term.

IMO, the scoring SW is the biggest issue facing USPSA.... yes, bigger than +2's and financial irregularities and resigning accountants.  This affects all clubs, members, and even non-members who still pay into the activity fees basically so they can see their scores on-line... hopefully soon after last-shot fired. 

I don't see a long term plan here.

-rvb

#16 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

You must not have read Kim's love letter from last winter, she said she's on top of all of it -- the USPSA app, direct uploads, instant classifier calcs, etc.

• rballz likes this

#17 rballz

rballz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

You must not have read Kim's love letter from last winter, she said she's on top of all of it -- the USPSA app, direct uploads, instant classifier calcs, etc.

She's on top of something....

#18 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

She's on top of something....

Yep, most likely $144,000.00
  • CrappyShooter and jabbermurph like this

#19 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

I think if we stopped losing 10K to crying bonuses and $144K to credit cards we might be able to afford some college kid or old dude to cobble together a scoring system and maintain it for a few years. I finally read Front Sight and Kim's life story and tale of woe. She's got 2 kids to feed so we need to cut her some slack. Stop asking questions or demanding accountability or competence. She *needs* this job.
  • rballz and Stubb like this

#20 CrappyShooter

CrappyShooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationYour wife's Boner Garage

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I thought that USPSA had a technology committee to work on things like this.  Makes sense that we have plenty of shooters in USPSA with technology backgrounds that could assist on things like this. 

Not every person can be an expert at everything.  Takes a bigger person to understand that and be able to ask for help or delegate to those that can.

I manage 37 Developers and anyone of them can write code better than me.  However, none of them can manage or actually "talk to the customers" like I can. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users