#23 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Learn how to move through stages efficiently.

This

#24 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

what division are you shooting?

#25 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

what division are you shooting?

Limited.

GOALS
Grand Master (Production) in 2015
Master (Production) 2014/1st Q 2015

Is DOT Torture suppossed to be hard?

AFHF Dot Torture is an untimed drill that only gets difficult with increasing distance. Dot drill, attributed to Frank Garcia, is a hard and addictive drill distinctly different from Dot Torture.
Bonafide asshole

#26 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Sub Second reloads are hard in any division. depending on mag well who knows.  work on consistancy, then  get faster.

#27 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Serious...what's your class today.  What's your FAST.  It's a decent barrometer of a few skills.

What's the dot drill?  If it's like Dot Torture, a perfect from 7 yards should be in any B class shooters capabilities.

I'd worry less about what class you want to be and more on certain skills.  Focus on the process, not the result.  Like:

I want a 1.2 reload A to A from 7 yards.  (personally, I think trying to go from 1.5 to under 1 is a bit ambitious)  Once you get 1.2, then set a new goal.

2 A's at 25 in under 2 secs (From the BS Book.)  My most favorite drill is a variation.  Start 10+1 in gun.  5 pairs of 2 @ 25 in under 2.  Then the 11'th to the A zone head box.  Score it USPSA style as a fixed time.

A zone head box on demand slow fire from 20 yards.

Shoot on the move, all A's fast pace laterally all day, all the time from 7 yards.

Know when to use a fuzzy blob of gun generally pointed at target, fuzzy front sight, and clear front sight on which targets, for you, at which distance.  (See what you need to see)

Shoot Elprez, turn from the target, and accuratly score it without looking at the target.  (call shots).

And finally...sub 3.5 FAST from Production gear.

FWIW, I'm Top 20 on USPSA's list of losers who can't make it out of A class.  So FWIW, I know just enough to almost know what I don't know.

Dots are in some guy's shooting books. I set 1s as my goal time for reloads because fuck anything in between. Getting it down is the goal, the process is how good I can do it over time.

Don't care about FAST drill. IMO why do I need to do 4x to the body? Seems like waste of ammo. I want a 1s reload in classifier situation, and might as well just do 4 Aces. Head box practice is cool, but why conflate it with the reload practice?

I can call shots on El Prez to the extent that I know a good run from a bad one based on sight/gun movement and grip. Beyond that I ain't got no time. .2splits and .26 transitions are what I can manage if I hit my grip.

Seeing what I need to see is an ongoing process. Sometimes I forget.

I need to work on some difficult target stuff. Steel annihilated me recently. but that's ancillary to the stated goals.

#28 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm waiting on my classification card to come in for Production. I was all right in IDPA, and I think my initial in USPSA will be B or A. I had some good classifiers and bad, in part due to my sucking hard, not knowing how the scoring system works, and a new gun to figure out.

Honestly, M doesn't seem all that hard to get. 85% is pretty simple to get on most classifiers. GM though I'll need to rise to a new level. That's what I want to do. Concurrent with GM I want to get gooder at making stage plans and executing them.

On the advice given of going smooth to go fast on reloads, I am doing a combination almost every day of dry fire reloads slow as fuck while observing myself in a mirror for precise action, timed Burkett-type drills, 1s par reloads, and some drills like El Prez that emphasize reload speed. I suspect my horrendous depth perception due to a bad eye might be making reloads harder than they should be. My mag well on my Lim Pro is so beat to shit from me just barely missing the alignment, though I usually look the mag in.

I do think my rush to "go fast" is making me fuck up. When I remove that pressure to go fast no matter what, I relax and things go smoothly. But how to get sub-1s without intense time pressure forcing the times down?

Oh, yeah. Going to two Ben classes in November, so hopefully those will help me HTFU and also learn how to train.

#29 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

ben reloads like a fag he drops the gun too much.... i've been razzing him about that since he started shooting..... 1 second par time is not enough dry to get you to 1 second live.

try working on the first half of the reload. ( from firing grip to snatched mag) do as many reps as it take to start missing)

To me hitting the hole was the biggest difficulty, may of us drew barbours poles  etc on our mag well to stare at until the mag went in.  eyes should go from Sights to mag well and stay until your mag covers up that barbour pole then snap back to target

#30 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

It is Twinkie Time here. I have a banana flavored Twinkie and some Safeway instant coffee in a Glock cup to go with it.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#31 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

I do think my rush to "go fast" is making me fuck up. When I remove that pressure to go fast no matter what, I relax and things go smoothly. But how to get sub-1s without intense time pressure forcing the times down?

I suffer the same issue.  I've been focusing on the mental game and being comfortable with "seeing what I need to see" and relaxing during a course of fire.  Visual patience.  However, its extremely easy to slip into the "go fast" mentality. 

I have found that my best par times and practice runs are when I focus on being quick and relaxed physically (especially the shoulders) and mentally.   I've found the more relaxed I am (not lazy), the faster I am.  Stay relaxed, but be quick.

• Twinkie likes this

"You can give it the old spin."

#32 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

The only

I suffer the same issue.  I've been focusing on the mental game and being comfortable with "seeing what I need to see" and relaxing during a course of fire.  Visual patience.  However, its extremely easy to slip into the "go fast" mentality. 

I have found that my best par times and practice runs are when I focus on being quick and relaxed physically (especially the shoulders) and mentally.   I've found the more relaxed I am (not lazy), the faster I am.  Stay relaxed, but be quick.

I can only describe it as being pulled along at a pace which is uncomfortable. My footwork and general lumbering about is a result of wanting to go fast but not knowing how. It's tempting to think you're a shooting god while in a CoF but better to just let the process happen and be an active participant in the feedback loop. Fuck, that sounds pretentious.

#33 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

ben reloads like a fag he drops the gun too much.... i've been razzing him about that since he started shooting..... 1 second par time is not enough dry to get you to 1 second live.

try working on the first half of the reload. ( from firing grip to snatched mag) do as many reps as it take to start missing)

To me hitting the hole was the biggest difficulty, may of us drew barbours poles  etc on our mag well to stare at until the mag went in.  eyes should go from Sights to mag well and stay until your mag covers up that barbour pole then snap back to target

How fast should I go in dry, then? One sec is pretty fucking hard, especially if I'm being honest with my sights and grip.

I've experimented with where I put the gun, and I kinda like twisting it a bit and putting the magwell at about collar-bone height. I need to see what the fuck I do on a field course since I feel my reloads are far better there relative to my static stuff. More fluid, at any rate if not faster.

I think the best course of action is to keep doing what I'm doing until i can get Ben to destroy me in-person.

#34 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

I've been doing micro reload drills lately, they seem to help.

Changing platforms is not easy

#35 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

It's not so much a change for me as getting better with something that I ever have with any gun before. Much excite!

#36 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

Working on the left hand getting to the mag faster in the past few days has helped my reloads a bunch.
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#37 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'd agree with the recommendation for micro drills to get hand to mag faster.

Twinkie, if you don't like the FAST, maybe you'd be more amenable to the Derp Test. Hopefully I will get the chance to Derp tomorrow.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#38 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Learn to win.  Done.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#39 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Dot drills are almost as dumb as limited.

I'm a Limited GM and I've never done a dot drill.

Learn how to move through stages efficiently.

Efficient field course movement won't help much with the M/GM classification goal. It will help with the stated match top ten goal.

GM classifier skillz (most important to least): alphas, transitions, splits, reload, draw

The main difference between 85% and 100% is turning off your targeting computer and using the Force.

• Twinkie, Mr_White and jst0915 like this

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#40 jabbermurph

jabbermurph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

GM classifier skillz (most important to least): alphas, transitions, splits, reload, draw

The main difference between 85% and 100% is turning off your targeting computer and using the Force.

There is no try...only do or do not?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)