69 replies to this topic

#21 Co Th G

Co Th G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have taken competitive training classes for fun.

I have taken tactical training classes for fun.

I have taken crossover competitive/tactical training classes for fun.

Engaging in gun fights in the food court will get you killed in the street.

Can you pick out the threat?

mall-foodcourt.jpg

Look at this from the perspective of an IDPA'er...... They are all potential threats, therefore you should neutralize them all and let the RO (God) sort them out. 

#22 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Look closer.  You'd be dead before your first shot.

Do you even Condition Yellow, bro?

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#23 Co Th G

Co Th G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Is TPOG making reference to the MFCEO?

#24 jabbermurph

jabbermurph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

He's just jelly, bro

#25 Bananabarrel

Bananabarrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

No. That's why I'd just shoot everyone and let God sort out who the threat was. 

It's not Where's Waldo! It's TACTICAL! Do you even Sheepdog bro?

#26 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

Can you pick out the threat?

mall-foodcourt.jpg

Yes.

If you eat at the Sbarro, you're gonna die.

Edit:

Damnit, leadchucker beat me to it...
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#27 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

The whole tactical timmy training industry is just plain bullshit and a way to rob clueless people with paul blart fantasies of their money

Lot of truth to that. Guys with suspect Military credentials and average or below shooting skills can make a bunch of money if they can manage their online image and develop a following. They will bad mouth competition shooters at every turn because they can't shoot as well, just jealousy. Probably no worse than the local A champ trying to charge a fortune for "USPSA" lessons.

There are real guys teaching real hi speed tactical classes out there. Most of them are coming from a team environment and their tactics are not too great for the guy without a squad backing him up.  The police guys are the worst, it's an old tradition to make the officer who survives one gun fight the dept firearms instructor, even though most of the time his survival was just plain luck. And then there is "Tackleberry" who heads the police firearms instruction. I don't think you'll learn anything useful.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#28 skittles

skittles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

• Fire Lion likes this

#29 ummm

ummm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Years go by, but TPOG still merely regurgitates the obvious as if it's wisdom

• Buck Turgidson likes this

#30 Hans3005

Hans3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

Fuck training I just play call of duty operate the fuck on

#31 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Fuck training I just play call of duty operate the fuck on

COD will get you killed on the internet.

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#32 Hans3005

Hans3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

COD will get you killed on the internet.

Fuck that I kill motha fuckin zombies like a boss!

#33 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

I doubt it. I am prolly PNG to him. He doesn't lose any sleep over me.

I agree with his article in large measure. I have met a couple shooting instructors that get bent when people do classes with a bunch of different folks. I consider them retarded.

#34 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Any instructor who thinks he’s the only person with important or useful information should be avoided at all costs, in my opinion.

I've heard a bunch of instructors say this but I've not heard an instructor saying their way is the only way.

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#35 Alma

Alma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

It is interesting to go back further and read the original article to which this one is responding ( http://www.gunnuts.n...being-tactical/ ).

I summarize that article as saying that if you are showing up to classes hoping to learn to shoot better and the instructor doesn't employ something like a timer then you will likely reach a plateau in fairly short order. After all, there are only so many ways that you can learn to shoot through your legs, keep your eyes on the threat, shout at cardboard, or reload with retention. 

In my mind it comes down to a sort of lack of accountability for many of these courses. It seems like they spend a lot of time going through the motions and throwing rounds down range but never really attempt to measure your effectiveness with actually putting rounds on the target, especially under constrained timeframes. It's amazing what can look cool on YouTube with the right video footage and theme music but without focusing on actually measuring and improving tangible skills then you are just attending (to quote the article) a “bro fest.” The second article defends tactical courses by simply saying that classes have different focuses so one size does not fit all (although the tactical classes might not draw adequate attention to the actual skill of shooting despite suggestions to the contrary leaving students with an unrealistic understanding of arguably the most fundamental aspect of combat with a firearm). 

If there some kind of home study course for tactics because I am pretty sure I could test out of it. I have read at least one book by Ayoob and thanks to Doodie I have now watched a lifetime of tacticool instructional videos. 

#36 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

Jeff Cooper said the idea was to make the other SOB take cover.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#37 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

I just signed up for a german class. Learning is fun. You guys should try it.

#38 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:34 AM

Fuck the Germans they lose too many wars.
Taking a doodie while on doodie💩

#39 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

I just signed up for a german class. Learning is fun. You guys should try it.

Did you get anything out of that carbine class?  I can shoot a rifle ok fudd style.  Need to up my game for the operating though.

#40 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yeah the carbine class was good. We did malfunction clearing drills, learned some different positions. Practiced rapid transitions against a clock and against another class member in a mini competition (I did well I think due to uspsa stuff). We were shootimg steel at 50 yards off hand for that.

Shot super close and played with how much sight oicture or accuracy was necesssry.

Did night shooting with light. Did a cool mini competition against each ither where two guys would shoot. First guy would use his light as quickly as possible to pick a steel target, shoot it and turn off his light as quick as possible. The second guy coukdnt use his light, but had to quickly hit the steel before the light went off. Was fun shooting as the first guy and trying to screw the second guy. Was fun shooting as the second guy and sometimes hitting it before the first guy. We also got to try out night vision and IR laser which was cool.

Did some quick medical training which was good. The instructor was a swat medical guy.

Anyway, it was good. Got more familiar with my rifle and gear. It was a little on the basic side, as it was the introductory level one, but good nonetheless. The par times were pretty easy for me. I saw a lot of guys not make them, but I always seemed to be the first to shoot and one of the first to finish whatever task we did. Exception was the barricade drill in which you used a 9 hole wood barricade to shoot steel through. You had to contort into all kinds of weird positions to shoot through the holes. I took a while to do that. There was no time limit though.

I think my recent forray into uspsa has helped me htfu while still being accurate. I used to be real deliberate and slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users