#1 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

I just got a shipping notice that a new gun is on the way.

Any tips on the best way to change over to the new style going from plastic striker to metal da/sa?

Should I wait to live fire till I have dry fired a bunch?
should I break in the bbl?
Only use one type ammo?

I know ultimately it doesnt matter, and I could hust oick it up and start blasting, but I spent a lot on it and it is wuite different than my glock and I would like to use it to its full potential. That is why I am asking.

#2 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm a rip off the bandage kind of guy. Switch to the new blaster and drive on. Break in the barrel? Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Twinkie, ny32182, dels and 1 other like this

#3 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

:)

#4 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Some of not paying much attention don't know what gun you are leaving and which one you are changing to, care to fill us in so we can give explicit comments?

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#5 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Glock 17 (15 years of shooting various glocks)

To

Cz sp01 shadow from cz custom
  • Bananabarrel likes this

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

Two-timing bastage! You are ahead of my schedule. Went for the 1050 and put the CZ on ice for now.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#7 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

Took eight weeks. Just as a heads up.

If you load me up a bunch of match ammo I will show you pics when it comes on wednesday

#8 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

I would do some dry firing, get my holster and mag pouches where they need to be. Practice the first shot, getting a little of that double action out of the way on the way up, just a little and increase until you start to feel a uncomfortable or have some early snaps and back off from there.  As long as the ammo is close wouldn't worry about that, barrel won't need breaking in, it's metal so it runs on oil you will need to get used to keeping it oiled especially long live fire sessions in hot weather. No anti seize needed.

I'll be shocked if you don't love it after you get used to the different trigger system and weight.  The accuracy and not needing to wear Kevlar in case of Glockaboom will be more comfortable too.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#9 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Congrats slink

I think you will love it. I'm still getting used to the reach difference between DA and SA. Being a longtime 19/2011 shooter its a bit weird.

Just go with it, dry fire, live fire as normal. Obviously it is picky on OAL for loads dependent on bullet profile.

#10 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:27 AM

Just in case you hadn't thought about it make sure you have holster and mag pouches that work with the new blaster.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#11 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:59 AM

I thought about it a long time ago... Then forgot. So I still need to get a holster amd mag pouches.

Actually I need the whole setup. My current setup is a regular belt with owb holster, and a cheap paddle dual mag pouch from fobus and another dual mag pouch from a different nanufacturer.

#12 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Just in case you hadn't thought about it make sure you have holster and mag pouches that work with the new blaster.

Pro tip.

• JoeyBagODonuts likes this

#13 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

Ben's ProShop has everything you need
  • JoeyBagODonuts likes this

#14 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Obviously lots of dryfire to make sure your holster and mag pouches work, and to learn to manage the DA trigger.

I did this switch in January.  I got all my shit put together 5 weeks before the FL Open, practiced for that amount of time (was shooting an M&P before) and then went to shoot the FL Open.

Your gun handling speed will probably take a hit initially.  This is normal.  The gun is heavier, and you have to learn to drive it around, and the weight makes a difference until you get used to it.

It took longer for me to learn to manage the SA trigger than it did the DA.  This is a little counter intuitive, but with striker fired plastic you are already halfway to a DA pull anyway.  Even right out of the gate there was never a time when I just couldn't hit shit on the DA pull no matter what.  At my first club match, I was throwing Cs EVERYWHERE, and the reason was that I was not used to the trigger breaking fast, light, and clean, and was popping them off right before the sights were quite settled.  Trigger prep levels of pressure on my old gun lead to bangs with my new gun.  You can't fix this in dry fire... you have to go shoot the gun, as much as possible.

Finally, like Stubb says, you have to be mentally committed to the switch.  This is your gun now.  You are not just "trying it out".  Your next major is coming when its coming, and you are either going to be ready or not, but THIS is the gun you are shooting, period.  So get ready.

• Dr. Yellow Visor Guy, Matt Mc, byerly and 3 others like this

#15 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

I thought about it a long time ago... Then forgot. So I still need to get a holster amd mag pouches.

Actually I need the whole setup. My current setup is a regular belt with owb holster, and a cheap paddle dual mag pouch from fobus and another dual mag pouch from a different nanufacturer.

No need for a holster, do all your shooting from Chest 1. Stuff the spare magazines in your waistband. Are you going to be wearing your gamer shit when undesirables storm your house at 3 AM? HTFU and operate!

Levity aside, the Pro Shop goons can hook you up with a belt, pouches, and holster. The DA first shot will take some getting used to. I switched from an M&P to a CZ not quite two years ago when I was shooting lots of Steel Challenge. Got in the CZ mid week, dry fired every evening, hit the range on the weekend, dry fired the next week, then shot my first match. Times matched up with those shot with my M&P. After a few more weeks, I picked up my M&P for some reason and it felt weird in my hands—cheap plastic piece of shit with a mushy trigger. Haven't gotten around to unloading it on some sucker who doesn't realize that.

You'll have the added handicap of un-learning the fucked-up Glock grip angle.

#16 Just Shoot

Just Shoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Don't expect miracles at first. When I switched from the Glock to CZ, I had real high expectations. It was a real let down when I didn't see significant improvement on my times and scores the first month. Don't let it get you down. Took me about 3 to 4 months to start seeing real improvement across the board. Now, I would never go back to plastic.

Like ny32182 said, the DA pull was no issue. I was worried about it, but it was a non-issue. Second shot was a much bigger problem. A-C, A-C, A-C until I got used to that crisp SA.

Had to rework my grip some. The CZ has a smaller grip and I can't get as much of my support hand on the gun as I could with the Glock.

Transistions took a bit of work due to the gun being so much heavier.

I had issues with point of impact at 25 yards that took a bit to resolve. I also had a pretty short chamber. I would check it before pumping out a bunch of ammo.

Other than that, just start shooting it full time like Stubb and ny32182 said. Take the Glock and put it away or sell it. The only thing I miss about the Glock was how little I had to actually clean the mags.

God doesn't want me to be a good shooter or he would make this easy.

Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better.

#17 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

Old blaster. Many years of good shooting.

53tzs3.jpg

#18 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Any tips on the best way to change over to the new style going from plastic striker to metal da/sa?

Shoot lots of As.

And lament your future GSSF performance.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#19 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

I cant shoot my cz at gssf?

#20 LeadChucker

LeadChucker