• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

I was going to post this under 'Handgun a Technique', but it's broader than that.

Getting older doesn't mean dropping back to D class. But, adjustments need to be made to hold what edge you have. Smart compensations can still get the job done.

What changes have you made to work around age related problems like decreasing speed and vision and increasing aches and pains?
  • JohnesMl likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#2 thegrandwazoo

thegrandwazoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Lifting and cardio is starting to help with my speed, stamina and the back and knee pain. My eyes have started to go but I don't seem to have the same issues as others with glasses. I have progressive lenses and they work fine for me with both the dot and irons. Also since I started shooting more shotgun clay games it has helped diversify my mind set and allowed me an outlet where I put 0 pressure on myself and that has translated into being more excited to shoot Practical with the same mind set.

I see little things improving and at this stage of the game any incremental improvement is welcome. Some day I might even get out of FUCKING A class.

• boomerhc9 likes this

#3 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

I have lost 30 pounds over the last year, would like to lose another 10-15. Biggest change was diet but I am exercising more as well.

#4 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'll start with the eyes. I just got new glasses after 5 years. I'm amazed how the gradual change/deterioration goes mostly unnoticed. The new lenses brought back a sharpness I didn't even know I was missing.

I had a pair made to specifically focus at the distance to my front sight in my shooting stance. What a fucking difference. I haven't had a lot of range time with the new lenses yet, but I can literally see the improvement in dry fire.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#5 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Started shooting revo, since its slow as fuck and my age doesnt really show as much. been thinking of doing icore open instead so I can get a fucking dot as well

#6 Unclassified

Unclassified

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

The biggest difference I found is mental. Walking stages, developing and then running stage plans has gotten harder over the past 15 years. Then again the stages have gotten harder during that same time.
  • Twinkie likes this
Dude, I thought you would be better...... MFCEO

#7 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

The biggest difference I found is mental. Walking stages, developing and then running stage plans has gotten harder over the past 15 years. Then again the stages have gotten harder during that same time.

I think this is one area where I actually continue to up my game. 20 years of IPSC both shooting and designing stages has me looking at the angles and engagement orders like a mutherfucker. It doesn't hurt that I have some good shooters I usually squad with.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#8 WGN

WGN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

I take 2 Tylenol just before every match. ;)

#9 Ateam111

Ateam111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

I really don't think USPSA is that physical of a sport to where your gaining an incredible advantage with being really fast at running. You will gain more of an advantage with being very efficient with your movement and hitting your positions the first time.  I think if you've been in this sport for 15 years and it is even an option to "drop back to D class" then you are more of a hobbyist than a competitor.  Rob was still relatively competitive with two completely broke knees.   Even the worst stage plan executed according to plan can still be pretty good, Im sure I've heard that before.  You can't make excuses because you are getting older, move efficiently and get good hits and you will be competitive at M/GM level.

#10 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

I was being figurative with the drop back to D class talk. Even an average shooter would pretty much have to go paraplegic to slip all the way back to square 1.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#11 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

This thread brought to you by Centrum Silver and Ben Gay. Proud sponsors of geriatric fuckers everywhere.
  • JGus likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#12 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

MCN04810.jpg

Troof
  • wurm likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Troof is that generic 200mg Ibuprofen is cheaper and works just as good.

I look younger than I am. I hurt a lot more. Knees, working on some degenerative back issues. Don't see detail so good at at distance.

Pain is good. It makes me mean and ornery and then I just want to kick some ass at a match.
  • Doc likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#14 boomerhc9

boomerhc9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Locationcolorado springs

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

Also since I started shooting more shotgun clay games it has helped diversify my mind set and allowed me an outlet where I put 0 pressure on myself and that has translated into being more excited to shoot Practical with the same mind set.

I see little things improving and at this stage of the game any incremental improvement is welcome. Some day I might even get out of FUCKING A class.

This! When I started shooting ipsc, I was nervous and literaly shaking every fucking match. Just couldn't get over it. Always shot like crap because of it.

Early this year, my shooting buddy introduced me to trap, doubles trap and skeet to get ready for a shotgun practical match.

after going out and busting some clays, it definitely has gotten me calmer and more focused at the uspsa matches.

Although, I'm sure part of that is the newness of uspsa wearing off, and getting more used to shooting. (growing up, the folks tried to push guns as being bad)

I taught MacGyver how to use a paperclip. paperclip.png

#15 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

I can't see shit at 20+ yds and did OK at the 25 yd Bill/reload feat of strength put on in Ben's gladiatorial ludus. No dropped shots and I think 1 or 2 Ds that I completely blame on ammo. Over a few runs this was.

I'm old and fat, and a complete fucking clutz who was picked last for every team sport. I can't catch fucking anything thrown at me. I worked hard on trigger control and still do and so I do some shit well in this game. Everyone has some disability holding them back a bit- strive to overcome the weaknesses, eliminate them, or incorporate their presence into your shooting. Look at Rob Leatham- bionic man continues to be competitive when he has no right to be given double knee replacement surgery.

I'm a way better shooter than I would have been at 20 because I've got a stronger mind than I had back then. This game is like most of life- effort and determination make shit happen. I gotta lose some weight and get more active because it does matter. It's like trigger control- you get really fucking good at it so every shot is better because of it. I want to lose weight and get stronger/faster because every stage will run a bit better because of it.

I don't know what it's like to lose capabilities in shooting because I got started recently. I imagine it's like anything else that got worse as I left my 20's behind- I learned what matters most and how to guard it. Honesty with yourself is what you should gain with age. With it you can get to work on becoming the better shooter you want to be.
  • Unclassified, Oz_ and Doc like this

#16 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

How "old" is old?  I started in my late 30's.  Will be 40 in a few months.

When I was younger I didn't take care of myself because I didn't have too.  Party all night and roll into HQ just in time to run 5 miles....

I had back pain in my 20's...

But now I take much better care of myself because I have too.

Diet and exercise is critical at this point in my life.  I could gut out anything in my late 20's early 30's. 

I start the day off with a big glass of water and do light stretching.  I stretch and do some form of mobility training throughout the day.  Then I do a moderate to extreme workout for about 20-30 minutes 5x per week.

USPSA is all part of overall health as an active "hobby" and life sport too.

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#17 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

This! When I started shooting ipsc, I was nervous and literaly shaking every fucking match. Just couldn't get over it. Always shot like crap because of it.

Early this year, my shooting buddy introduced me to trap, doubles trap and skeet to get ready for a shotgun practical match.

after going out and busting some clays, it definitely has gotten me calmer and more focused at the uspsa matches.

Although, I'm sure part of that is the newness of uspsa wearing off, and getting more used to shooting. (growing up, the folks tried to push guns as being bad)

Taking a doodie while on doodieđź’©

#18 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

When I want to shoot and too achey to move, Steel Challenge.

• ToddKS likes this

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#19 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

I take 2 Tylenol just before every match. ;)

Are you allergic to aspirin or NSAIDs? If not, ibuprofen (Motin) is a better choice. Tylenol is a good antipyretic and analgesic but is not an anti inflammatory. Most joint and muscle pain has an inflammatory component. Only the NSAIDs will work on that part of the pain.

Add to that, inflammation is supposed to be part of a body repair mechanism, but often it is destructive as well. Decreasing inflammation can decrease pain and actually let things heal faster.
  • WGN likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#20 WGN

WGN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

Are you allergic to aspirin or NSAIDs? If not, ibuprofen (Motin) is a better choice. Tylenol is a good antipyretic and analgesic but is not an anti inflammatory. Most joint and muscle pain has an inflammatory component. Only the NSAIDs will work on that part of the pain.

Add to that, inflammation is supposed to be part of a body repair mechanism, but often it is destructive as well. Decreasing inflammation can decrease pain and actually let things heal faster.

I can't take NSAIDs long term or I will start to bruise. I use them from time to time. They do work better for joint and muscle pain. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users