136 replies to this topic

#21 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

I'm 47 and started this obsession at 35 or 36.

When I started, I blitzed stages with speed and agility and did fine per se. Moving into my 40's I can definitely say thing are getting tougher. Mostly I think my metabolism has slowed considerably, I've grown lazy physically, and I can feel ALL my joints, every single damn one of them.

Changes....

1. Eat and drink SOMETHING BETWEEN EVERY DAMN STAGE, even if it is just a handful of trail mix.

2. I take Aleve in the morning and again at lunch.

3. Try to schedule majors over two days. I simply burn out after 6-8 stages depending on temp, humidity, BLAH, blah, blah.
The days of 10-15 stages at a time are over if I truly want to perform at my best.

4. I am 40 lbs overweight, easily, maybe 50. I was a stick figure through my mid to late 30's, I have bounced up and down with weight
the last 5-6 years and this isn't conducive to good match performance. Several of the changes above I know could be better if I was
physically lighter.

So even though I haven't been the best the best example, staying "moderately fit" is a change us older types need to focus on.
I am a pre PTCRBH Doodie member. For all you post PTCRBH members, EABOD and piss off.

Best post ever,

DR. Yellow Visor Guy said....

"Glocks work. They're like that somewhat thick chick. They're low maintenance, will always put out and generally perform better at it than you'd expect."

#22 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Losing weight for general health is always good, but losing weight for Uspsa is a waste of time. The stages are just not designed in ways that give fit people any major advantage.

A75033

#23 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

I can see excessive girth posing a challenge when shooting around barricades.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#24 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

In my case having gained like 60 fucking pounds over a few years slowed me way the fuck down. The absolute hardest thing in my goals is to lose some of this fat and slim down. Eating too much, not exercising enough, and not sleeping right is fucking me right up. One day at a time...

#25 WGN

WGN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

A few years ago I lost 30 pounds. I was trying to find something to compare the weight before to the weight after. 30 pounds is a case of 9mm ammo. Just put that up on your shoulder and shoot a stage. ;)

#26 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

Losing weight for general health is always good, but losing weight for Uspsa is a waste of time. The stages are just not designed in ways that give fit people any major advantage.

I will disagree with this. My personal experience has been that losing 30 pounds helped my shooting in general, not just my movement. I feel better and the added endurance makes for better performance at the end of the day. Also whether it is the exercise or just generally being more healthy, I can shoot faster now than I could when I was heavier. Hitting what I am aiming at is still an issue, but no more so than before.
  • GuruOfGuns likes this

#27 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Then you must have been very very very out of shape. For the average person, an average level of fitness is fine. 

People always say, "Crossfit helped my shooting." If cross fit helped your shooting you were really in a shitty place fitness wise to begin with. 

USPSA stages just don't award any benefit to being in shape. I do not understand people who get gassed after a uspsa stage. It's like 20 to 30 seconds of stop and go movement and you never really get on the gas.

A75033

#28 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Then you must have been very very very out of shape. For the average person, an average level of fitness is fine. 

People always say, "Crossfit helped my shooting." If cross fit helped your shooting you were really in a shitty place fitness wise to begin with. 

USPSA stages just don't award any benefit to being in shape. I do not understand people who get gassed after a uspsa stage. It's like 20 to 30 seconds of stop and go movement and you never really get on the gas.

Really? So, you have been overweight by 40 pounds or more? Or, you have always been a little heavy and lost some weight? Then, you compared the before and after?

I don't care what shape you are in, if you aren't feeling a little exerted after a good field course, then you simply didn't push hard enough.

Especially if you "never really get on the gas."

The fact is if a person drops some weight and gets in shape they are going to perform better, have more stamina and be able to move quicker. Especially over the course of an entire big match.
  • GuruOfGuns likes this
I am a pre PTCRBH Doodie member. For all you post PTCRBH members, EABOD and piss off.

Best post ever,

"Glocks work. They're like that somewhat thick chick. They're low maintenance, will always put out and generally perform better at it than you'd expect."

#29 Chuck s

Chuck s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

I think you miss the point of "being in better shape". It is not really that you need to be an Ironman contender to do well in this sport, you just need to endure the long day and stress that comes with a match( talking major match here). Heat or cold adds to the stress as well as the mental aspect of the game and standing around for long periods, which can be a killer. Better physical condition helps with all of this. Pretty simple physiology really.
  • Fourtrax likes this

#30 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

I don't care what shape you are in, if you aren't feeling a little exerted after a good field course, then you simply didn't push hard enough.

Especially if you "never really get on the gas."

Depends on your anaerobic capacity. Uspsa just isn't very physical IMO.

Most people who can't hang at an all day match where you're mainly standing around have horrible nutrition habits.

They don't drink at least a gallon of water a day. And they go eat that bullshit match lunch that leaves you in a food coma past noon.

I strongly believe people should stop being fat asses in general. Americans are sloppy as fuck in that regard, mainly living sedentary lives. I think losing weight will help those people are who are grossly over weight, but an average person? Meh. TGO has bionic knees and still dominates. It's just not a an activity that is physically demanding.

15-30 seconds of stop and shoot? Tiring? Yes, in a practice session where you're repeating drills, but a match? Meh. Things like dry fire and live fire with lots of reps can and do definitely take a toll. I agree there.

Do you guys exercise often?

A75033

#31 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

Well Jae, I'm happy for you. You must be killing them at all the big matches with hardly a sweat broken. Cool story bro, or sis.

"Do you guys exercise often?"

Why don't you go back and look at the title before asking dIcktard dumbass "I'm just a fucktard butthurt dipshit pole smoking dumbass who got my pee pee smacked, now I'm gonna defend my inferior position by being an even bigger asshat" questions. Anyone can turn honest good answers into seemingly crappy ones by skewing the intent of the answer then playing superior.

If I exercised often, you drooling goat humper, I wouldn't have listed it as something that needs to be addressed as I get older, and something other people might address as they age. Understand? I answered based on 11 years of matches, of weighing 205 and running 35-40 miles a week in my 30's to weighing 260 and not exercising in my late 40's.

Add to the shooting "gooder" or piss off.
  • GuruOfGuns likes this

Best post ever,

#32 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

Nah. You're tripping. I'm asking if you guys (not only you) are exercising often NOW on your journey to becoming fitter. What kind of stuff are you doing? Honest question. Because I'm
wondering what you are or aren't doing that has you feeling work after a stage. That's all.

My advice would be to incorporate more anaerobic shit into your physical routine so that you aren't drained from something like a field course.

Why the fuck are you having a fit?

In regards to me killing them at matches. Nah. For me shooting is more mental than physical. I definitely do not think my fitness is holding me back at all. Sights, trigger control? All that shit, yea.

A75033

#33 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

What works for one may not work for, or even apply to, the next guy. This thread is about suggestions and possibilities, not a guaranteed formula for success. It looks so far like people are relating their own real world experiences. Let's not shit on them for something that is true for them.

For the weight question, for me, I'd be happier if I was 185-190 again instead on 205-210. I can feel the difference, both in terms of quickness and in my sore feet at the end of a long day on hard range surfaces.

My compensation had been to wear those wacky Vibram Five Finger shoes. Instead of confining my foot, the shoes let my feet flex more. That seems to translate into less soreness at the end of the day.

When range conditions are wet, soggy, muddy, the foot soreness is not much of a problem and I wear Salomans.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#34 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

I really don't think USPSA is that physical of a sport to where your gaining an incredible advantage with being really fast at running. You will gain more of an advantage with being very efficient with your movement and hitting your positions the first time. I think if you've been in this sport for 15 years and it is even an option to "drop back to D class" then you are more of a hobbyist than a competitor. Rob was still relatively competitive with two completely broke knees. Even the worst stage plan executed according to plan can still be pretty good, Im sure I've heard that before. You can't make excuses because you are getting older, move efficiently and get good hits and you will be competitive at M/GM level.

This. I agree with with this. It's more about moving efficiently than super fast.

What I meant earlier by getting on the gas is that our stage designs really don't lend themselves to allowing a person who is a fast sprinter to get up to speeds that would make it advantageous. It's usually short distances from positioning to position, and you've gotta get on the sights, etc.

A75033

#35 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Why is TGO still able to hang with a majority of the young bucks in the game? He has horrible knees, and he's not exactly that fit or agile. Somehow he gets shit done enough to still be a dominant threat/contender.

What are your opinions on this? He throws down stage times just as fast as everyone else on the super squad. I think it is because he is extremely efficient in his movement, being ready to shoot, etc.

A75033

#36 Fourtrax

Fourtrax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

Oh, I apologize, I misunderstood you.

I guess my question to you would be, .....

I'll start a new thread so as not to further derail this one.

http://doodieproject...psa/#entry72946
  • JaeOne3345 likes this

Best post ever,

#37 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Single vision contacts have made a big difference. It's helped with transition between targets and possibly helped with speeding up getting a sight picture, but not quite sure just yet.

I was in a car accident 8 years ago where they almost amputated my legs, but the doctors ended up saving them. Being able to walk and run for any length of time still surprises my doctors. I do a basic kettle bell work out to strengthen my ankles and work on balance which is a weakness for me.

I take a fold up chair to matches. Like most people with a disability, I have a limited amount of energy and strength. So I sit down when I can and save energy for when it's needed but I still tape and paint.

Yoga. I used to do Bikram Yoga which is 26 poses in 90 minutes in a 105 degree room that smells like ass. I don't do it any more because I can't balance on one leg, but I do 5 of the stretching poses. No ass smell either.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#38 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

Day to day, I don't run for exercise. I walk at a comfortable pace. But I do want to be competitive and push myself at matches.

I sprint as best I can between shooting positions. That usually means I can get there before I finish a reload. So, there is something I need to work on - moving reloads.

Starting and stopping does strain the feet a bit, but so far I don't feel it in my knees or hips.

I try to compensate for my speed between shooting positions by being careful about my target engagement order in both positions. I look for the target that points me closest in the direction of the next position as my last and the first one to easly engage in the next, even if they are in the middle of an array.

That might not be the smartest thing, so I do experiment with other target orders. Given my druthers, I'd rather engage targets from right to left or the reverse for less back and forth with the gun.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#39 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

Dancing seems to have worked for this guy.

http://youtu.be/exB64sx_3PU?t=2m7s

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#40 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

Fail.

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users