#41 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's not the shooting that wears us old guys out, it's all the time spent pasting and setting up steel.
  • JohnesMl likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#42 JGus

JGus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Glad to see this as a thread.  I'll be 46 in a couple months and one of my many challenges in this sport is fighting Father Time.

I believe the biggest key is to stay in shape and keep the weight off.  But eventually it's still a losing battle.  I've always been an avid runner.  I run 25 miles a week and lift twice a week, but age is catching up.  Despite regularly working out I'm not as strong, agile, or conditioned as I was when I was 35, let alone 25.  My lower back gets stiff and hurts a lot after prolonged standing. So about 3 stages into a match my back is stiff and sore.  After many years of organized sports and many knee and ankle injuries, my knees and ankles will occasionally give out on me if I have to get low on a port and explode back up quickly to engage another part of the stage.  I finally had to get prescription shooting glasses this year because I couldn't see if I hit a target or not from 10 yards and out.  And even though I don't eat as much as I did when I was younger, it's still harder than ever to keep off additional weight. 

Before every match I take 2 Aleve.  I make sure I stretch out.  I keep protein bars and Dt. Dew in my range bag during a match to sustain my energy levels. 

I don't mean to whine.  I'm just giving you younger guys a picture of the challenges aging will have on your shooting.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

#43 JGus

JGus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's not the shooting that wears us old guys out, it's all the time spent pasting and setting up steel.

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in this statement.  Bending down to set a lot of steel during a long match takes its toll on the back and knees.  I know a lot of the younger guys may laugh at this, but you will understand as you get older.  At least pasting you generally don't have to bend at the knees or back. 

#44 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

If standing around causes you back issues, you don't exercise your back on a regular basis.

What does your "lifting" twice a week consist of?

A75033

#45 JGus

JGus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

If standing around causes you back issues, you don't exercise your back on a regular basis.

What does your "lifting" twice a week consist of?

You're probably right.  I've always been an avid runner, competing in everything from 5k's to marathons.  I lift but don't have the nearly the knowledge about it as I do running.  Here is what I currently do when I lift.  I do a set of 8 reps of regular free weight bench press, then immediately do a 12 rep set of kettleball swings.  I do this cycle four times.  Then I go to the decline bench and do the same, bench and kettleball.  Also four cycles.   Then I do three sets of incline bench on the machine, three sets of rows on the machine, and three sets of tricep extensions on the machine.  I do all this at Charter Fitness.  And I do this lifting routine twice a week.

I also have an office job so I'm sitting on my ass all day.  I think this is a big issue regarding the bad back.  I'm not overweight.  Weigh between 185-190 pounds, 6' tall.  But I have put a little bit of weight on around the midsection.  

#46 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'm only 53, so I'm still getting better at shooting. How old do you have to be before you start getting fat and slow and lame?

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#47 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't think that is a matter of age as much as people make it out to be. People fall off the wagon, stop exercising, and wonder why their performance drops.

A75033

#48 CB45

CB45

Granpaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

Physical fitness is more important than age.

Focus on improving instead of trying to find excuses.

Train more. get better.

#49 WGN

WGN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Stretching is very important. You should stretch every day. I think bending over and touching my toes is the best stretch I do. I bend over and reach for my toes and keep stretching for up to a minute. You will gradually get lower as you go. I also do other stretches including P90X. I'm 69 and plan to continue shooting as long as I can.

#50 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

Stretching is very important. You should stretch every day. I think bending over and touching my toes is the best stretch I do. I bend over and reach for my toes and keep stretching for up to a minute. You will gradually get lower as you go. I also do other stretches including P90X. I'm 69 and plan to continue shooting as long as I can.

I should do more of this. When I wake up in the morning sometimes, it's like my muscles are enemies.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#51 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

How do you other old timers deal with sharting during a stage?

• Miculek is a Noob and Doc like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#52 dels

dels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

I have found yoga to be good for core strength and flexibility.

#53 JoeyBagODonuts

JoeyBagODonuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

I avoid the sharters like the plaque.

Wait, I smell more than donuts...

#54 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

• barry owens likes this

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#55 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Most of the time you can control or at least time your sharting. It's a tool us old guys use to get those "hovering mama bird" type ROs off our ass while we try to shoot.

#56 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

I don't think that is a matter of age as much as people make it out to be. People fall off the wagon, stop exercising, and wonder why their performance drops.

Reading your posts it sounds like you are a young man in very good physical condition without any substantial problems. It's difficult to imagine what age does to you from where you stand, Don't take that as a cut or insult, it's normal. I know because I was there once. Along with age comes a lot of other baggage, for instance having to be careful not to injure yourself, in my case I know I'm risking my knees and ankles everytime I run a stage and do things a certain way to try and avoid that. It's a limitation but I can still enjoy shooting. I can't pivot quickly or hit a low port quickly and if I have to get up from a low port I'm fucked. I'm not saying the sport should be configured for old fucks like me, I had my time.

I got into competition shooting in my late 20's, a lot of guys were in their 40's and complaining about the physcial problems they were dealing with. Back then IPSC was actually more physical in a lot of ways, walls to scale and stuff like that. I probably jokingly told a few of them to HTFU and not to use those problems as a crutch. At 63 with several challenges I kind of wish I could have understood better back then. My main regret is that I didn't realize I wouldn't always be in the shape I was and should have spent less time in the bar getting hammered when I was shooting the next day, but I had a helluva time.

#57 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

Nah, I've got a 55 year old father and a 61 year old uncle who are proof that taking care of yourself works. They never stopped exercising. On the other hand, I have other relatives who are in shitty condition. My grandpa ne

In my experience, especially with the numerous people I have assisted with training/nutrition, you can't pivot quickly anymore or hit a low port because you stopped exercising and doing those types of things on a regular basis. I exercise with too many people that I could call my seniors that NEVER stopped. Naturally they aren't as quick or strong as they were 30 years ago, but basic movements like getting into a low port? Nah man. If a USPSA stage exposes some of your physical weaknesses/issues, that tells me you fell off on keeping yourself in condition somewhere along the way.

Like you said..

I didn't realize I wouldn't always be in the shape I was and should have spent less time in the bar getting hammered when I was shooting the next day

That right there is proof you stopped maintaining. My plan is to never stop maintaining. I admit it may be easier for me to have such a mindset because exercise is a hobby for me. I refuse to let myself get into shitty condition. Been there, done that. Not going back.

The most inspiring guys at my gym are the old dudes who never stopped training. 

A75033

#58 BoyGlock2

BoyGlock2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:22 AM

Im 54. I started IPSC very late at 43. This is how I shoot in last week's match. I practice regularly believing there is still a lot to improve at my age. Am I hoping or expecting too much of myself?

Eta. I attached a video but its nowhere now??
Oh its there alright 😄
  • Mistadobalina and GuanoLoco like this

#59 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

Old Americans would throw a fit having to get down low like you did. But then again, that's not surprising looking at most Americans.

A75033

#60 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

Goes to show you that squatting to shit is good for you.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users