54 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Have you guys ever shot these drills?

I think they are good fundamentals drills.. I don't agree with all of the analysis points but I think if you mastered these drills you would be a cut above the pack.

#2 ummm

ummm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

They seem good.  The first and third drills are so similar I don't know if they can be distinguished.  Full targets, sufficiently varying yardage to cause change of pace on each, 5 or 6 shots to the body, single target per string.   Why both?  Maybe it's just the point of emphasis in this workout for him.

At first I thought he was going Accelerator on the third drill, and going to give props to Ben.

• RockOutGLOCKOut likes this

#3 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

Saying "I shot all the alphas at my given speed so I can speed up" denotes conscious control of speed, which I'm told is a bad thing. Orthodox says the lesson is he's seeing enough to keep them all in the alpha.

#4 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for posting this. good to add to my routine. Out of curiousity what do you disagree about in his analysis of hits?

#5 Ateam111

Ateam111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

I think the drills are a couple more tools in the tool box.  I do agree that you cannot get to analytical with what the target shows you.  You can argue this all day...I shot a C, I should slow down and focus on front sight...Well how fast was that C.  Ill take one C and be 4 seconds faster anyday.  AMU is a recruiting tool the Army uses to get guys to join.  You throw an unlimited amount of ammo at anyone the cares to get better at shooting and you have AMU.  The drills are good but they are just drills.  Everyone has a different opinion on what it takes to be a top level USPSA shooter form MFCEO to Vogel to Nils to KC to Frenchy.  Their are similarities and than there are polar opposites.  Focus on Core Skills and then find or make up drills that work for you.  I would say that everyone needs to practice the drills/skills that you are not good at.   I see a lot of guys that only shoot the drills that they have already mastered.  If you are crushing a bill drill and 99% of the time you are 1.8 sec why are you still spending 30 mins shooting it?  Its like Crossfit...Im not trying to be the best at working out.  I want to win big matches.

#6 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

No, I have never shot them. Is there a website that has them and some goal times?

#7 jakemartens

jakemartens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

No, I have never shot them. Is there a website that has them and some goal times?

http://www.youtube.c.../gousamu/videos

They have a lot of good video on there even going back to Max and Travis days, you have to sort through all the videos to get to them though to get to the pro tips.

I went through them and just added them as favorites.

#8 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

IMO they are simple drills that have potential and surely won't hurt anything to run them. Some of the comments are a little off the mark, like the A zone get's smaller at was it 15 or 20 yds? Not matter it's just wrong and more than simple semantics in my mind, just like "I need to slow down to keep them in the A zone". I'm probably a broken record but slowing down is no guarantee of better hits. I did not hear him say one word about calling those shots that weren't in the A zone, if he didn't call them out while he was shooting how is he going to self correct?  Until you can call your shots you are just guessing at what caused you to shoot wherever you did or maybe a buddy is watching and can try to tell you at least which shot it was, the absolute worst thing is to reference one of those charts that dieagnosses your shooting problem with a pie chart.  For me learning to call my shots, and learning the value of calling my shots was a big positive turning point in my quest to be the best shooter I can be. So he missed a good teaching point in this video IMO.

Just one more point and then I shut up, during the Bill drill part I think it was he said something about the need to control the recoil better as the reason he lost an A or something to that affect.  To a lot of people more recoil control translates into more muscle and more tension and trying to stop that thing from moving, that's the way we didn it in the old days. It sucks and doesn't work consistantly. Need some tips on technique and not fighting the gun.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#9 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

The aiming reference at close targets need not be the front sight....and I think telling people that prohibits them from that "ah ha" moment of understanding what "see what you need to see" means.

Who is the shooter?

#10 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

The aiming reference at close targets need not be the front sight....and I think telling people that prohibits them from that "ah ha" moment of understanding what "see what you need to see" means.

Who is the shooter?

I don't quite get what you mean about "the aiming reference need not be the front sight"? Can you explain a little more.  I understand target focus is that what you mean, or calling the hits from seeing the bullet holes up close? Looking over the top of our gun?

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#11 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

I don't quite get what you mean about "the aiming reference need not be the front sight"? Can you explain a little more.  I understand target focus is that what you mean, or calling the hits from seeing the bullet holes up close? Looking over the top of our gun?

I think looking for holes would be slow...I've tried it and that was my experience.

FWIW, close targets, 7 yards to the A zone "looking over the top" is pretty close to what I experience; although I notice I'm almost looking down the sides and aligning my hands  and arms too.  If I do a Bill drill, I see the sights about the 3rd shot and beyond lifting and settling, etc..

My point was the "front sight focus" is often confused with bulls eye clear front sight, etc. and that can be unnecessarily time consuming.

#12 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

Triple-six was a staple of Max & Enos back in the day although IIRC it was 25-15-10 yards then.  It works ok to teach variable speeds on different distance targets, but does nothing for target transitions which is where most people suck more.  Usually scored +0.2 sec per point down.

The shooter is Matt Sweeny.  Little bastard nearly won the World Schute so they might work.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#13 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Completely coincidentally, I shot some of them on my last training session, except I did a Bill Drill at 25 yards. I didn't even know those were AMU drills.

After running them a couple of times, I changed the first drill from 5 shots to 5 called As. I found that it improved the value of this drill.
Bonafide asshole

#14 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

I should point out that I think it is very telling that all these drills are being run just before the start of the training day. I mean... that is a hardcore day.

#15 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

would any of you tards have turned down a chance to shoot for the AMU?

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#16 Hans3005

Hans3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

I would do it in a heart beat.

#17 C-130 Jockey

C-130 Jockey

(Swollen) Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

You're the tard.  No wonder you wore a PT belt everywhere you went.  The AMU is just PR bullshit, and real soldiers don't end up there because they are busy actually soldiering (without PT belts on you douche).  Also, you don't get into AMU without being a teenager already performing at a fairly high level because your perpetually C class open shooting dad is footing the bill.  Once they get in it's all free ammo, travel, and running around calling yourself a soldier when you know it ain't so.  Brat as a junior shooter, spoiled at AMU, discharged as a GM to be catered to by the USPSA establishment.  It's pathetic when you think about it.  I'd rather be A or B class for life and know that I did it on my own. 

If I had a choice between AMU and Ranger Bat or the 82D I'd turn it down no problem.  It's a question of values - where I come from actually serving is more important than being served.

• Nimrod, eahill85 and GuruOfGuns like this

I used to ride on one. It said C-130 on the side.

#18 TSO

TSO

Mr. Sunshine and positivity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

You're the tard.  No wonder you wore a PT belt everywhere you went.  The AMU is just PR bullshit, and real soldiers don't end up there because they are busy actually soldiering (without PT belts on you douche).  Also, you don't get into AMU without being a teenager already performing at a fairly high level because your perpetually C class open shooting dad is footing the bill.  Once they get in it's all free ammo, travel, and running around calling yourself a soldier when you know it ain't so.  Brat as a junior shooter, spoiled at AMU, discharged as a GM to be catered to by the USPSA establishment.  It's pathetic when you think about it.  I'd rather be A or B class for life and know that I did it on my own. 

If I had a choice between AMU and Ranger Bat or the 82D I'd turn it down no problem.  It's a question of values - where I come from actually serving is more important than being served.

Spoken like a true hardass there toughguy.....

You're so full of shit that your eyes are brown and it's pouring out your skull. 

Everybody already knows they're recruited dumbass...Can you state anymore obvious facts for us too? 

So what you're REALLY trying to say is if you had the skill to get recruited into the AMU at age 18 to travel and shoot the sport you love and teach other "real" soldiers how to shoot, you would turn that down?

God save you because your an idiot that needs more than "mentoring" from guys here.....

• aics308 and Buck Turgidson like this
Tim Herron
TY68934

#19 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

They seem good.  The first and third drills are so similar I don't know if they can be distinguished.  Full targets, sufficiently varying yardage to cause change of pace on each, 5 or 6 shots to the body, single target per string.   Why both?  Maybe it's just the point of emphasis in this workout for him.

At first I thought he was going Accelerator on the third drill, and going to give props to Ben.

Agree 100% on the first and last drills.   

If the third was running it as the Accelerator I think it would make a lot more sense.   

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#20 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

SSB, the 82d fags were the fuckers that insisted on everyone wearing the PT belts, douche. Seems their airborne super troopers were too stupid to not get hit by 1114s in the dark. So, just what exactly did you do in the Army there hardcharger?
  • TSO likes this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users