54 replies to this topic

#41 TMReich

TMReich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

I know Sweeny had to go through 11B training.  They are real soldiers.  IF they did spend several years in the AMU and get promoted to SGT (E5), and then transferred to a regular infantry unit, they would have a hard time earning respect.  They would be respected for their rank and shooting ability, but as an infantry leader, they would have to proove themselves multiple times over.  Their peers have multiple combat tours, with some of those being in leadership positions.  Granted my service was a long time ago, but in 1st Ranger Battalion, those that transferred in from other units like the 82nd often had a hard time being accepted.  

#42 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

Seriously though, is he?  I wouldn't think that being a golden boy in the Army marketing department is the same as being an infantryman.

AFAIK, Robby started out as a sniper in the 75th before getting into the AMU and after 9/11 he went back to his battalion for a few years.

If youre leaving a comfy job with the AMU so you can go deploy with your ranger buddies, you're a notch or two above golden marketing boy in my book

#43 TMReich

TMReich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36 PM

I don't know how many of the AMU shooters come from soldiers already in the Army, and how many are recruited into the unit as civilians.  It would be interesting to know.  Robby Johnson started off at 3rd Batt, then the AMU, back to 3/75 and then back to the AMU.  Having done his first four years in a Ranger Battalion makes a big difference.

#44 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36 PM

Is that how it works for most of them?  I guess I thought they were mostly just like this guy

Cap-America-USO02.jpg

#45 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

I heard Stolger was a navy seal ranger.
  • barry owens likes this

#46 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:50 AM

Have you guys ever shot these drills?
I think they are good fundamentals drills.. I don't agree with all of the analysis points but I think if you mastered these drills you would be a cut above the pack.

20 Alpha: 5 shots @ 10,15,20,25 - Would be very good for me and quite appropriate for my goals. Especially when combined with the Dot Drill.

Bill Drill - recoil management. Interesting, I like the Bill/Blake combo. Dr. YVG's post on another thread has me thinking I have 'improved' my Glock trigger into a slow reset which is hurting my slow-as-cold-honey splits.

Triple-6, really just Bill Drills @ 7/10/15 yards - definitely an ammo burner. I dunno, are Bill Drills @ 10 and 15 yards really a good use of time and ammo?
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#47 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

20 Alpha: 5 shots @ 10,15,20,25 - Would be very good for me and quite appropriate for my goals. Especially when combined with the Dot Drill.
Bill Drill - recoil management. Interesting, I like the Bill/Blake combo. Dr. YVG's post on another thread has me thinking I have 'improved' my Glock trigger into a slow reset which is hurting my slow-as-cold-honey splits.
Triple-6, really just Bill Drills @ 7/10/15 yards - definitely an ammo burner. I dunno, are Bill Drills @ 10 and 15 yards really a good use of time and ammo?

You do realize that those 5 Alphas are basically Bill Drills, right?

I've thought Dr. YVG's TRS talk might be the reason for my slow splits as well, but I simply can't let go of the lightest possible Tanfo trigger. If you have 2 of the same gun, I could see experimenting in your practice gun. I used to never be able to get even a .20 split, now in latest practice I was a bit sad if splits were .20 or over when I was trying to go fast. So maybe your slow splits are because you suck and need to get gooder? Just sayin' it might be something that some dilligent practice can help.

Bills at 10, 15, 20, 25, and even 50 are not a waste of ammo provided you are learning. I like them and did try them. Ben's big black book has some par times that are doable if you want to give it a whirl. The challenge is to do exactly what you have to for 6 As/close C's in the allotted time. You could also try doing 2A's at longer ranges because that is kinda challenging, too.

#48 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

Who wouldn't want to join the army to play on Uncle Sugar's dime?

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#49 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

No because once you sign on the dotted line they can do any fucking thing they want to with you, I know it's not like it was back when I was a kid and my dad was in the service and getting fucked around every 90 days but I doubt it has improved much.

I think many people don't understand how large the AMU is and everything they do. The practical pistol and three gun thing is a tiny amount of what they do. They are some hard ass combat vets in there along with some regular soldiers who happen to be great gunsmiths or great whatever Uncle needs. Slamming them all because of a couple of guys who seem to have the golden Visa Card isn't fair. 

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#50 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

I was in the army for 9 years. It's an easier commitment to just get a job and buy your own unlimited supply of ammo. You'll probably eat better too.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#51 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

Serious question, has AMU ever officially shot an IDPA match?

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#52 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

Serious question, has AMU ever officially shot an IDPA match?

You've never made a serious post before, why should we believe you now?
  • ZachJ likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#53 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

Touche.

Full Retard Custom Guns

#54 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

I know of none for what that's worth Barry. AMU seems to only be interested in well established, well run, shooting contests,.....dress up not so much.

Except for that three gun stuff.

• barry owens likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#55 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

I figure it's the recruiting demographic. Old fat idpa or fit , cool uspsa.

But then AMU shoots bullseye and service rifle too, so. I figure that's just tradition though.

Full Retard Custom Guns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users