51 replies to this topic

#1 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

FWIW, I shot my revos the way he does, and my thumb turned horrifically black. I wish I took pics because it looked like it was dead.

Anyone else think this is the way to go on revolvers?

This seems a good time to mention Caleb is gay and so are revolvers. In fact, just troll the shit out of everything in this thread or the video. No one gives a shit about how to shoot a revolver because revolvers are stupid. Watching this shit makes me want to sell my sweet 686 Pro and throw the money at strippers or something.
  • Stubb and Hans3005 like this

#2 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Calebs thumbs appear fine. Maybe you were doing it wrong when you tried it?

#3 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

My hands are bigger.

#4 boomerhc9

boomerhc9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Locationcolorado springs

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

It doesn't even look like he's filming at a shooting range in the video. That looks like some of the city parks we have around here.

Depending on the side of town, dudes do shoot in the parks here, although I'm sure it's glocks, not gay ass revolvers. 

I taught MacGyver how to use a paperclip. paperclip.png

#5 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

I shoot a J-frame like that. That's the only way it even feels remotely natural on a gun that small.

I don't do that on an N-frame. I like the X-frame grips and my weak hand thumb is up on the blast shield with the strong hand thumb on top of it. I could grip the shit out of a Revo that way and liked it back when I shot pins with a revo.

In full disclosure I have not and will not shoot Revo in USPSA and I don't shoot IDPA in any division. Both seem like torture instead of fun.

#6 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

I generally tuck my thumb. It's not so much to avoid the blast from competition loads, as they are insignificant, but to prevent any cylinder drag if your thumb moves up just a hair. It also appears Caleb is using a strong hand grip more in line with the single action shooters with his thumb high up on the shield.. That effects my splits badly.

#7 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

There are fast revo splits in matches? Who knew? I guess I forgot in the time it took to watch 6 fucking reloads on a field course.
  • Mr_White likes this

#8 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

That last one was too strong- I dig revos in theory and as mechanical devices, but not in a competition with autos. Then it's like holding the Special and regular Olympics at the same time; not fun for either group.
  • subQ and ToddKS like this

#9 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

There are fast revo splits in matches? Who knew? I guess I forgot in the time it took to watch 6 fucking reloads on a field course.

With the 8 minor it's only 3 reloads and splits are in the .17-19 range. Not setting the world on fire but above average for production guns. But screw average working on consistent .15-.16

#10 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

That last one was too strong- I dig revos in theory and as mechanical devices, but not in a competition with autos. Then it's like holding the Special and regular Olympics at the same time; not fun for either group.

It's a lot less fun getting beat by a revolver than the other way around!

#11 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

Well, I've been beaten by everyone a few times. Not fun. Also not going to happen again.

Lose to a revo shooter? As if. Y'all best be practicing Caleb's new tech to keep up with the bottom feeders.

#12 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

I don't own any revolvers because there just seems to be better guns that have better trigger, holds more bullets, reload easier, have better sights, are lighter, are easier to hold, faster to fire, look better, last longer, are less complicated, and you can compete with them against more than one person....

• Twinkie, Mr_White and Miculek is a Noob like this

#13 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

It's a lot less fun getting beat by a revolver than the other way around!

If you're going to beat someone with a revolver, use the butt. Nothing worse than bending a barrel over someone's dome.

I don't own any revolvers because there just seems to be better guns that have better trigger, holds more bullets, reload easier, have better sights, are lighter, are easier to hold, faster to fire, look better, last longer, are less complicated, and you can compete with them against more than one person....

Yeah, way to conform. Baaaaaaaa.

• BHill likes this

#14 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

Caleb Giddings: internet whore

I truly do not get the point of his little vid.  Is it to show us that the conventional wisdom (you'll blow your tumb off) is wrong?  He didn't prove that.  His thumb was nowhere near the gap.  And if he thinks a 357 Mag round isn't going to fuck his thumb up if he does get it in the way of the gap, the fucker needs to go back to SAAMI and review the round's chamber pressure standard against the 44 Magnum (hint, they are within 1000 psi of each other). 

Is the point to show us how his thumb fwd grip is superior to the more traditional one in shooting performance?  Probably not, because I saw no timer showing us his splits one way then the other, or anything else substantive.

So what do we have left?  Some guy talking to hear himself talk.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#15 mcb

mcb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost between SASS and USPSA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

nfamily.jpg

I have been trimming my Hogue grips to form a shelf behind and below the cylinder release. The middle and right revolvers have been trimmed the left revolver has not. This shelf gives me better access to the cylinder release, especially when running the California Competition releases. It also gives me a shelf to ride my strong thumb on while shooting, sort of like riding the safety on a 1911. I then lock my weak hand thumb outside my strong thumb. Works good for me.

The thumbs forward grip in the OP's linked video does not look like it controls recoil very well.  It also looks like it would add time to your transitions to reload whether you reload strong hand or weak hand.

Getting killed on the street is dumb!

#16 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

In his defense, Caleb kinda sucks at revo shooting in that video.

I didn't do any mods to my revos other than ruin the action so it would only set off Federals and put on Miculek grips. I then got just good enough to do an IDPA classifier in 85 seconds. Figured that was good enough in ESR. I wouldn't want to try and use one in USPSA because that's a level of skill I could never attain. After that ESR classifier debacle I never shot a 625 again. I'm glad, too. Glad!

Not sure what the reload splits were just standing there but IMO they were good enough. Recoil control was more a matter of bringing the sight back down while working the trigger back and forth. A timing thing, for certain. That was probably the most attentive shooting I've ever done. So in some ways revo is a good thing. It's just not fun for me.

Those are neato cylinder latches you have there. Are they IDPA legal?

#17 seanc

seanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

olhasso shoots rev thumbs forward, he won the irc in limited and was second at nationals by like .5

wolfe holds revs eg style and does amazing.

miculek does tbumbs forward on xframe grips when he switched to them..

#18 C-130 Jockey

C-130 Jockey

(Swollen) Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

My apologies for posting a slight distraction, but I have noticed what appears to be an inconsistency.  Twinkie dislikes the same old tired short jokes as they pertain to TSO and Jae, but he refers to Mr. Giddings as a midget in the tags.  I am somewhat confused by this as it would seem to demonstrate a not insignificant amount of hypocrisy.  So your short friends are vertically challenged, and those you dislike are fucking midgets.  Yes?

Oh, I almost forgot.  I love the J frame with thumbs forward. 

Sorry for the interruption.  Carry on. 

I used to ride on one. It said C-130 on the side.

#19 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

My apologies for posting a slight distraction, but I have noticed what appears to be an inconsistency.  Twinkie dislikes the same old tired short jokes as they pertain to TSO and Jae, but he refers to Mr. Giddings as a midget in the tags.  I am somewhat confused by this as it would seem to demonstrate a not insignificant amount of hypocrisy.  So your short friends are vertically challenged, and those you dislike are fucking midgets.  Yes?

Oh, I almost forgot.  I love the J frame with thumbs forward. 

Sorry for the interruption.  Carry on.

Not sure I ever said knock off on the short people jokes. Caleb gets trolled because he doesn't openly post here and is a total shill. I like Tim, am neutral to Jae, and dislike Caleb. So what? In a broader sense, I dislike the posts which are nothing but responding to every thread with the same phrase or that are trying to provoke nothing but a hostile response from someone. If someone talks shit you should call them out if you can make a case.

Posting this vid of Caleb's was done in part because I agree with his technique but also because revolvers are dumb. I think I pretty consistently make fun of Caleb, so I don't see the hypocrisy. I'll try to make fun of all short people from now on.
  • C-130 Jockey likes this

#20 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

I shot my revolvers thumbs forward and never had any problems. Yeah my left thumb would get dirty but it cleaned up with soap and water.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5 gun master, midget, Revolver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users