#46 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

Posted Image

Wasn't that pic taken at the IRC a couple years ago?

#47 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

5 inch or 6 inch for limited gun?

I love longslide pistols been shooting them forever. The extra sight radius is an advantage if you can use it, you can get away with a coarser sight picture on any given target. People with vision problems probably benefit more and old farts like me who like muzzle heavy pistols but it's no problem to make a longslide SS weigh the same as a 5 inch if you want. I always lighten the slide because I don't like the feel of a heavy slide.

It's a personal preference just like most everything else.

• ZackJones likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#48 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

How about whale oil?

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#49 Fire Lion

Fire Lion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

How about whale oil?

I've seen synthetic sperm whale oil for sale online but never tried it.

#50 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

Sperm whale oil is a common limited slip differential additive.  Stinks like a motherfucker.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#51 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

FRC is proud to announce its all new weapon system lube. It doesnt just penetrate the pores in the metal, it ASS rapes them.

WD-402010020ml-l_zpsedc338c8.jpg

• wkent likes this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#52 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Sperm whale oil is a common limited slip differential additive.  Stinks like a motherfucker.

My memory is slightly different. Whale sperm in a white GM can about the size of a Red Bull can IIRC to take care of those old clutch type limited slip problems was some slick stuff and it always took care of customer complaints. One old mechanic, Roy, said if you mixed about a 1/4 ounce of it with a half a glass of Yukon Jack you'd get a hard on that lasted 2 days and come quarts at a time. I never tried it myself but old Roy lost about 100 lbs in a month. When the dealer couldn't get it any longer the parts guy told me they were losing too many "harvesters".  The would be a risky job for sure making friends with the killer whale so you could jerk him off way down there in the ocean.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#53 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

If you shoot any 3 gun you will get enough free lube to last you a lifetime. 

I did buy a qt of 30w motor oil, or 10w30 about 10 years ago that I've used about 5% of.  I pour it into a little mil tech bottle or something to keep it full.

I have this strange conspiracy theory that all those little fancy bottles of lube are just Mobil 1 poured in.  I don't think all those boutique companies have their own refineries to produce their own concoction.

• LeadChucker likes this

#54 T-Bone Sandwich

T-Bone Sandwich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

If you shoot any 3 gun you will get enough free lube to last you a lifetime. 

I did buy a qt of 30w motor oil, or 10w30 about 10 years ago that I've used about 5% of.  I pour it into a little mil tech bottle or something to keep it full.

I have this strange conspiracy theory that all those little fancy bottles of lube are just Mobil 1 poured in.  I don't think all those boutique companies have their own refineries to produce their own concoction.

I think someone figured out that froglube was roller coaster grease with coloring and wintergreen scent.  Seriously.

#55 evilbeef54

evilbeef54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:21 PM

Frog Lube, I have switched everything over to that.  I used to run Breakfree, but after using frog lube (the correct way with heating the parts first) on my full auto stuff and having the carbon wipe off i was sold.  I have a small can that is in my rifle/pistol case, i shoot 3-4 times a month and am 1/2 way through a can after 2 years, so the price difference is a few cents a year, not exactally a deal breaker.  Just use it correctly with heating the parts then brush it on, let it melt, wait about 30 min then wipe it off.  The parts look dry but it works great

Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations!

#56 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:57 AM

Fire lion.....i used to think it didnt matter at all (and for most applications it probably doesnt).  But I used to use Lucas on everything until I had a galling issue on 2 separate open guns.  One was a stainless cone comp that was nitrided...finish wore through and galling started to occurr.  The other was a stainless frame open gun that was a fairly new build.  When galling started on the frame rails, I changed oils.  I now use Militec and havent had any problems since.

Nitride is not a "finish" that wears through.  It's a case hardening heat treatment done in a nitrogen environment in any number of ways (gaseous atmosphere/plasma chamber/nitride salt baths, etc) and it leaves the metal hard as piss (55 - 70 Rockwell C) from the surface down to (depending on the process) .010 - .040 deep.  The hardness tapers off the deeper you go until you're out of the case and into the base metal hardness (which for 400 series stainless is somewhere in the mid 30's HRc)

Nitriding does discolor the metal and that discoloration eventually rubs off which makes people think that the nitriding isn't there any more.  Wrong.  The hard case is still on the metal (if the heat treatment was done right) and if the surface upon which the nitrided steel rubs on is softer, it will obviously get torn to shit.  If you're running a nitrided part over a non-hardened stainless steel surface, yeah the non-hardened stainless will gall like a motherfucker.

The lack of understanding about what nitriding really is or is not is epic on internet gun forums. 

• Sad Sack and ZachJ like this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#57 IronArcher

IronArcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

CorrosionX and VIGO grease REO.

The CorrosionX is an oil, and has an electromechanical bond to metal. Prevents corrosion, and seeks to be on the metal (will travel to dry spots, even uphill).
The Vigo grease is for the larger flat surfaces.

Been using the CorrosionX since the mid 90s.
Guns I have used this on have literally zero corrosion on them. Including shot guns and pistols.

Vigo grease is a very thin grease made for high speed robot gearboxes.
I get it cleaning out a spent drum when lubing the robots at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#58 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:52 AM

I use whatever oil I get when buying guns, cleaning kits or whatever. But whale oil sounds interesting. I'm sure smelling like dead burning whale at matches is going to be a huge success.

#59 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:53 AM

The CorrosionX is an oil, and has an electromechanical bond to metal.

LOL.......I don't think so.

That's just more pseudo-scientific bullshit along the same lines as oil penetrating the "pores" of a metal

• GuanoLoco likes this

#60 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:10 AM

So you have like batteries on the gun that adds an electrical charge to the oil, so it bonds to the metal?.....interesting concept.

• Buck Turgidson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users