64 replies to this topic

#1 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

Even though limited is dumb I was wondering if anyone shoots it with something other than an S_I gun? Obviously as a baller C class I don't meet to drop 4K on a master blaster. While I'm leaning towards a 2011 I wouldn't rule out a good 1911. For some (dumb) reason I have been convincing myself that I should start shooting a 1911/2011 in steel challenge. I would prefer .40 but am setup to load either .40 or 9.

Rock Island has a couple of decent looking 1911/2011 pistols are they worth considering?

Not to be confused with ZachJ

#2 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Just buy a decent used S_I 2011 off of Enos.  Good deals to be had by the diligent.  If you try to cheap out you'll be cheating yourself and be disappointed.  If you're patient and get a good enough deal you can make money when you quit like a BOSS and sell it.

• Cajun cracker likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#3 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

Nothing really wrong with a single stack 1911 9mm in steel challenge 10+1 is enough for 5 round stages, if you have to reload your run is a throw out anyway. The plus side of the SS is it fits a lot of peoples hands very well, more than the high cap pistols and more reliable than some of the double stacks. Might save a bit of money with the SS.

If you're going to shoot Limited as well the hi cap or double stack has the big advantage. Sure you can run long mags in the SS and get a bit more capacity but no matter what you have to reload and the double stacks all load a lot easier than a SS unless you are TSO.

On the cheap a STsomething in 40 for limited with a 9mm barrel and mags might work. So people claim with enough bend in the extractor you can get 9 to work with a 40 breach face. For sure 38 super will work just fine.

Buy good quality and cry once and if bad times come your way you won't lose as much money on the resale.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#4 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

A 1911 really makes the most since especially because I have a Ruger 22/45. I don't honestly see me shooting limited anytime soon.

#5 ummm

ummm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

There are lots of great guns that aren't S*I....smiths like Cheely, McLearn, Cameron's, Akai, et al...but all the top competitors seem to be using the 2011 style, if that's what you mean.

Getting a reduced-capacity gun and shooting Limited seems sub-optimal, because it's kind of an equipment race.  If you don't care about ever being competitive, go with whatever floats your boat and have fun.

#6 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

You're fucked, spend limited gun money on a unicorn and make others feel bad for not falling in line with the current trend.
  • rballz likes this

#7 Fire Lion

Fire Lion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Beretta Combat.  Rumor has it it's being re-released.

#8 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Why not a Glock 35?  For less than 1k you can be all set up, holster and all...

#9 h8nevry1

h8nevry1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

Why not a Glock 35? For less than 1k you can be all set up, holster and all...

But you will still be shooting a glock
This comment is not supported by Tim

#10 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:05 AM

Why not a Glock 35? For less than 1k you can be all set up, holster and all...

Because I shoot M&P's. Seriously though I do own a gen 3 Glock 35 and I plan to shoot it some today to see how times compare to my M&P. For some reason I have gotten it in my head that I would be more competitive with an all steel gun like a 1911/2011.

What I may do is try to sell some stuff I no longer use and pick up a Rock Island 1911/2011 to try out and see how I like it. My son is home with his Para P16-40 and I plan to shoot it some today. I suppose if I were smart I would just keep shooting my M&P and spend the money on steel targets for practice.

#11 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

Yeah if you're already shooting plastic the 2011will be an adjustment. My gun weighs an awful 56 oz loaded.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#12 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

Why not a CZ Tac Sport

$1,100 and a damn good trigger out of the box

#13 C-130 Jockey

C-130 Jockey

(Swollen) Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

Rock Island has a couple of decent looking 1911/2011 pistols are they worth considering?

A friend of mine is a school-trained 1911 builder and an excellent machinist.  After completing numerous pistols using Caspian frames and slides, he had someone ask him to do some work on a bone stock RIA single stack.  His conclusion was that the RIA needed some work up front, but the gun itself was serviceable in all respects.  It ran well, and it was plenty accurate for USPSA.  To make a long story short, he decided to buy a couple of RIA SS project guns for himself based on what he felt was a decent quality to price ratio.  After trigger jobs, legal slide machining, and cerakote, those guns have given him no problems.  So, a guy that can build and machine anything - and I do mean anything - shoots RIA as his match guns after doing a little work on them.

Why is this relevant to your question?  Last week I saw something interesting in a LGS.  It was a new, purpose built, hi cap, 40 cal, RIA Limited gun for $849.  All steel, Series 70, large mag well, frontstrap checkering, VZ grips, ramped barrel, heavy full length dust cover, LPA rear, FO front, tight lockup, solid frame to slide fit, and parkerized.  Based on what I saw, I think it will run Para mag tubes just fine.  With minimal work it I believe it would provide a reliable gun for a very reasonable amount of money.  Plus you can be like Seeklander (I heard he has a new pro shop selling TigerJizz lube?).

xfile.php,qid=10800.pagespeed.ic.rU8aZIp

Also, I have had 2 Para P16-40 Limited guns since the late 1990s.  Both have been rebarreled, and they have never given me any problems.  In fact, they are better guns than I am a shooter at present.   

Lastly, I also own 3 S_I guns that are fine; however, they also needed a tweak here and there out of the box.  They now run without issues.

If you do buy something that isn't "custom", "tuned", or "awesome" up front, consider the following additions early on.  They aid reliability and enjoyment for not too much extra money:

AFTEC extractor

XL firing pin (Dawson or Limcat)

New FCG with reliable trigger job

Pinned grip safety

I hope this info helps.  Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck in becoming baller B class without going broke.   

• Twinkie likes this

I used to ride on one. It said C-130 on the side.

#14 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:31 AM

Why do you want to shoot a .40 in steel challenge?

I don't know how good they are but that Springfield Range Officer in 9mm might work.  Less than $800

#15 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

Why not a CZ Tac Sport

$1,100 and a damn good trigger out of the box

I've shot a couple CZ TS pistols and wondered why they're not more popular.

#16 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Because I shoot M&P's. Seriously though I do own a gen 3 Glock 35 and I plan to shoot it some today to see how times compare to my M&P. For some reason I have gotten it in my head that I would be more competitive with an all steel gun like a 1911/2011.

What I may do is try to sell some stuff I no longer use and pick up a Rock Island 1911/2011 to try out and see how I like it. My son is home with his Para P16-40 and I plan to shoot it some today. I suppose if I were smart I would just keep shooting my M&P and spend the money on steel targets for practice.

OK...my suggestion was to get you into the game vs. what would be considered as a top Limited gun.  Although in my area...which I would consider very competitive..the usual top Limited Shooters are shooting Glocks...

Regardless, if I were going to shoot Limited, I would buy a Glock 35 and customize it to my liking.  A smooth 2lb trigger, bulls eye accuracy, and a mag well can be had with a Glock 35 for less than 1k.  I'd spend the rest on components.  If you don't like Glocks, then a Springer Precision pimp'd XDM40 5.25.  Limping into Limited with cheap crap will likely cause you to do it right down the round; costing you even more money in the long run.  Buy once, cry once.... 

#17 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Even though limited is dumb I was wondering if anyone shoots it with something other than an S_I gun? Obviously as a baller C class I don't meet to drop 4K on a master blaster. While I'm leaning towards a 2011 I wouldn't rule out a good 1911. For some (dumb) reason I have been convincing myself that I should start shooting a 1911/2011 in steel challenge. I would prefer .40 but am setup to load either .40 or 9.

I don't really understand what you are asking? You can shoot lots of shit that doesn't cost a lot of money and do ok in limited.

• SteveC5ws6 likes this

#18 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't really understand what you are asking? You can shoot lots of shit that doesn't cost a lot of money and do ok in limited.

That makes two of us. For some reason I got it in my head that I need to shoot something other than a plastic gun. After shooting my M&P and then a 2011 back to back I know now that I don't and will stick with my M&P.

#19 (Sh)ItJustGotReal

(Sh)ItJustGotReal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

I shoot an XDm in Limited.  

OP-Limited isn't dumb.  It's for ballers that like to go fast.  I don't even really shoot Production anymore because major is faster and reloading 3x per stage is for suckas.

#20 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:49 AM

I admit limited is fun but this is doodie and anything other than production is dumb. I plan to stick with my M&P's because I have all of the gear I need an the guns aren't holding me back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users