Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Why not a CZ Tac Sport

$1,100 and a damn good trigger out of the box

+1. Pretty much the no-hassle and pretty cheap way to be competitive in limited.

I'm only shooting limited for a few months before I go back to prod/ss, and the cz made the most sense.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#22 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Glock 24 with a lead filled bowling ball glued to the tactical rail

• GuruOfGuns likes this

#23 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Glock 24 with a lead filled bowling ball glued to the tactical rail

Probably look better than the anvil I had in mind.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#24 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Probably look better than the anvil I had in mind a stock glock.

fixed.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#25 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Glocks in Limited are dumb.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#26 JaeOne3345

JaeOne3345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

I love how everyone says limited is dumb yet goes and buys production guns that take more and more after limited guns.

...bitches

• Yard Sale and shanko21ltd like this

A75033

#27 T "G" O

T "G" O

The Gay One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

I would never, ever, considering a 2011 from RIA for any serious use. I'm not saying they aren't good, because they have quite the following of satisfied and successful owners.

But here are the key points about why I would just buy once, cry once, and get a GOOD gun for USPSA.

For starters, you won't find a RIA 2011 in 40sw from the factory, so you'll be taking a $500-600 gun, and having another few hundred dollars of work done between parts and labor. Regardless of what anyone says, if you are serious about USPSA Limited Division, you need to shoot 40 cal.

Next, as the post above mentioned 'with some work' they are good guns according to a gunsmith C-130 knows. Great, so you need to buy a gun, throw a different barrel in it... and then send it off to get work done to get it to run perfectly. So, more money, and then time and trouble to get your shit to run 'perfectly'. Now this is not to say that 2011s haven't come from STI fucked up, but it seems almost every time those guns either run good on ammo loaded to 1.185-1.200" or they go back to STI get fixed and run.

And last, what about the actual parts on the gun. I'm not talking about the argument over MIM, or anything else, but outside of slave labor, why are these guns cheaper? If you are serious about getting good, then chances are you'll do a good amount of shooting. Will the gun last? Who knows? People brag about how their 1911s have passed 5k rounds in x number of years of shooting without failure, that's a few months for my gun(s) when the shooting season starts.

You can find a good, used Edge/Eagle on Enos now that its winter for under $2k with mags, rig, and probably spare parts. Great package to get you seriously going in Limited.

Regardless of what you choose... I can tell you this, from what I have seen and my own personal experiences... A LOT of guys especially in lower classes fail to realize the importance of equipment that works perfectly. I see guys who come to matches, match after match... try to do good but fail because their gun or ammo fucks up and they fail to address the issue, match after match.

Get good gear, buy once, cry once. The cost of the pistol (whose ability to run perfectly is beyond important) is quickly offset once you realize how much you spend on ammo, matches, lodging, fuel, etc...and most importantly your own personal time to get better.
  • Twinkie, jst0915, GuruOfGuns and 3 others like this

#28 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

For some reason I didn't see all of the replies so I went back and read the whole thread again. In hindsight I worded my original post poorly and for that I apologize so let me try again. I am primarily interested in steel challenge. I like USPSA matches but steel is what I really like. Currently I own a Gen 2 Glock 19, Gen 3 Glock 35, M&P pro 5" and M&P CORE 5". I shoot the CORE in open division. I have conversion barrel so I can shoot 9 in my M&P pro's.

I think hearing about all of the CZ's and unicorns and how great they are gave me a case a gear envy so I started looking at 1911/2011 guns I could possibly get for cheap. Years ago I shot Limited with an STI Edge so I know they are great guns. Unfortunately I don't have the cash for a high dollar blaster. I was looking for something cheap to get me through until I could afford another Edge.

Sprewell asked why I would want to shoot 40 in steel challenge and the answer is for simplicity sake. By shooting 40 I can load one caliber for my son and I to shoot. Given there is no power factor in steel challenge 9mm may be the better caliber. I already have conversion barrel for my M&P so we could get one for my son who has a Glock 35.

Yesterday I was dorking around with my Glock 19 with a 105 gr bayou and 2.8 gr of E3 and it was like shooting a 22. I would need to bump the powder charge up some because it barely cycled the 19 but a light bullet with a light charge seems promising.

My brother has a 9mm 1911 that I plan to shoot in January. Perhaps after shooting that back to back with my M&P and Glocks I will have a better idea what path to follow because it is clear that I don't have a fucking clue.

Not to be confused with ZachJ

#29 leas327

leas327

Retarded SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationBendover, Illshowya

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

Dump that plastic junk and get an aluminum/scandium framed 1911 in 9mm and cut the slide to hell. Light gun with a baller trigger and no fucks given about internet haters as you dominate L10 shooting minor.

Striker guns seem to need a little more juice than 125pf to work in all conditions. You will have your sub minor pellet gun loads for steel and serious bidness 126pf USPSA loads. The sport is headed that way anyways.

#30 (Sh)ItJustGotReal

(Sh)ItJustGotReal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

For starters, you won't find a RIA 2011 in 40sw from the factory, so you'll be taking a $500-600 gun, and having another few hundred dollars of work done between parts and labor. Regardless of what anyone says, if you are serious about USPSA Limited Division, you need to shoot 40 cal.

Next, as the post above mentioned 'with some work' they are good guns according to a gunsmith C-130 knows. Great, so you need to buy a gun, throw a different barrel in it... and then send it off to get work done to get it to run perfectly. So, more money, and then time and trouble to get your shit to run 'perfectly'. Now this is not to say that 2011s haven't come from STI fucked up, but it seems almost every time those guns either run good on ammo loaded to 1.185-1.200" or they go back to STI get fixed and run.

While I can't speak to the RIA, you're absolutely right about spending $600 on a gun and then hundreds of dollars on upgrades.  I have over $1000 without basepads in my XDm 5.25 for Limited.  

-Gun $600

-Magwell $120

-Trigger job $130

-Dawson front sight $40

-Tungsten guide rod $85

-Extended mag release $40

TOTAL-$1,015

But at the time, I would never have been able to afford all of it at once (I don't put shit on credit cards.)  I slowly upgraded stuff here and there.

If you have the money to spend, just get a decent 2011 from the start.

#31 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:48 AM

Sprewell asked why I would want to shoot 40 in steel challenge and the answer is for simplicity sake. By shooting 40 I can load one caliber for my son and I to shoot. Given there is no power factor in steel challenge 9mm may be the better caliber. I already have conversion barrel for my M&P so we could get one for my son who has a Glock 35.

If you do a cost analysis for loading 9mm versus 40 I bet it wouldn't take long to pay for a new barrel.

I think it's human nature to want something better, I'm always looking at guns.  At our steel match guys are beating my ass with the same Glock I'm shooting so I know it's not the gun holding me back.  You should come over to Griffin one month and watch Sevigny burn that shit down with his FN.

#32 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

Which Glock do you shoot? I have been giving some thought to the idea of a 1911 with slide cuts to run bunny fart loads. I would like to make it over to Griffin for the steel match. I see it's thus weekend but I am shooting USPSA. Maybe in January I can make it.

#33 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

A G17.  The state match is Feb. 6-7, shoot all eight stages.

#34 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

If you shoot a Glock in Limited, you can use factory +2 base pads!
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#35 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

A G17.  The state match is Feb. 6-7, shoot all eight stages.

What sights do you use? Decided to fuck it all and got a g17 for 3gun.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#36 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Dawson adjustable rear and FO front.  I have been very pleased with them.

#37 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

A G17. The state match is Feb. 6-7, shoot all eight stages.

Bitchin I will plan to shoot that match instead. Is registration open for it yet?

#38 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

Last year I filled out an entry the month before at the regular match.  Don't recall if he had the forms on the website or not.  Glen, the match director, is very efficient though.  Your best bet is to just send him an email in the next few weeks and ask.

#39 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

I would never, ever, considering a 2011 from RIA for any serious use. I'm not saying they aren't good, because they have quite the following of satisfied and successful owners.

But here are the key points about why I would just buy once, cry once, and get a GOOD gun for USPSA.

You don't get .40 RIA 2011s from the factory? Like https://us.armscor.c...11-hi-cap-.40sw ?

#40 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

Last year I filled out an entry the month before at the regular match.  Don't recall if he had the forms on the website or not.  Glen, the match director, is very efficient though.  Your best bet is to just send him an email in the next few weeks and ask.

I did email him earlier. BTW I took advantage of the Dawson Cyber Monday sale and bought 2 sets of their sights for my and my son's Glock 35. I couldn't find the adjustable rear on the web site though so I just ordered the non-adjustable one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users