558 replies to this topic

#1 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

This will be my range diary.  Exactly 1 year ago I began my transformation into a real life competitive shooter.  I had dabbled in a match or two over the previous two years; even loaded up some of my own ammo....but never once trained more than making a bunch of noise at the practical bays at the club where I'm a member.

Last year, on Christmas I was a 66% B class and #1 on my wish list was a genuine Ben Stoeger dry fire practice kit; which I got...and I went to work.  Soon I was laying down some heat on classifiers and broke 75% on my way to Master.

Field courses lagged slightly behind but by summer I was beating most M's and taking a overall on a course or two - even against some legit GM's.  My classifier rose and stalled at 84.88%! 

My goal this year;  Make Master and win M at a big match this year.  I'm shooting two so far.

I'll dry fire 5-7 days a week minimum and live fire maybe once a month until spring; then hit the range 2-3 per month.

• Twinkie, azazalolxd, WelchNede and 1 other like this

#2 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

It sounds like you are off to a great start.

A diary is a strong move; I find that it provides me additional motivation. Regular reporting on your struggles and progress - or lack thereof - is a good way to be honest with yourself,

The interaction and commentary from fellow Doodies has been a big plus, far from the train wreck I expected prior to the 'new and improved' Doodie.

I just hit 67% B-Class - it looks like you are a good notch ahead of me.
  • Twinkie likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#3 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Nice.

What gear you using?

#4 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

It's almost hard to imagine such huge gains can be made with a little training.

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#5 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Busted troll account or stalker?

Edited to add; "nice edit".

#6 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

I don't know if I have the right gear.  That's one thing I'm not so sure about.

#7 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

I shoot an M&P with Apex stuff.  I also have a XDM but the grip is a little small for me.

#8 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

12/28/14 Group Shooting & Dry Fire.

"Group Shooting" was more like dialing in some sights and verifying function with some previously loaded ammo.  I got Dawson's for my G34 (GSSF Pistol).  Was 3" high at 25 with the .205 front sight.  Glad Dawson just send you a free one.  Looks like I'll need the .230.

Shot a 2" group from 30 yards standing off hand with my G4 G21 (also a GSSF pistol) with 230 Precisions and 3.8 Clay's.  161 PF and it runs the gun.  Have to be close to 160 to get a G4 to run....but good luck finding Clay's this century. 

DRY FIRE:

Spent about 20 minutes DF'ing in the garage.  I have a shooting box set up and worked on my footwork across the box.  Drill from BS's book.  3.8 second to lay A's across 3 targets, move across the  box- reload, hit one target with 2.  I was making it in time but I felt like I was shooting some C's so I added .2 to smoothen it out.  Felt pretty good so I'll take the time off next time.

Spending a lot of time with your standard wall drill and trigger control at speed.  Pulling the trigger before the beeeep is done.

Also doing a lot of Burket reload drills.  I noticed when I'm looking right in the mag well I'm much more successful.  Have to remind myself to keep my eyes there until in slam it home position.  My DF reload is about 1.10-1.20

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

2" group at 30 yards with a G24? How many shots?

I'm too blind at 30 yards to even think of it....
  • SteveC5ws6 likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#10 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have Clay's.......

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#11 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:19 AM

2" group at 30 yards with a G24? How many shots?

I'm too blind at 30 yards to even think of it....

5 shots with a G21.

#12 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

I have Clay's.......

Too bad I'm no where near the Playboy Mansion.  If you ever get to Oregon; I have TG, BE, and Benchmark.

#13 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

Put in 18 minutes of DF tonight.

Started with some trigger control at speed.  From the book; 1.2 to a sight picture.  Reminded me the importance of drawing to the sight picture and not having to adjust it once at extension.  I don't to X number of reps; I go by time.  2 minutes..and just get in the zone.  I threw in a few strong hand only and some weak hand too. 

Back to Burkett reloads.  Really feel like I need to burn it from the gun to the magazine..then a million miles an hour to just shy of the well.  Finally feel like I'm close enough with my 2nd and 3rd mag pouch.

Also went back to "quick step."  3.8 to hit 3 partials...move across the box while reloading and hit any target again.  My box was about 10" too big.  I went back to 3.8 seconds.  With the box I was making time and felt better about my hits.

*I notice I "could" shoot 1 footed, then reach across the box with 1 step and go one footed over there....but I didn't feel as stable when I shot, exploded out of position taking two steps, then planted for two more shots.

I do feel like I don't have to choreographer my steps as much as I used too.  I'm feeling like my steps are just coming to me and I end up in the right position.

#14 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

I need to make a box for home df. I never do that stepping stuff.

I try to shoot on the move in df but never getting in amd out of boxes. Which is a lot of what matches have

#15 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

I am still way behind on movement drills, been focused on draws, reloads, trigger control and accuracy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#16 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

I need to make a box for home df. I never do that stepping stuff.

I try to shoot on the move in df but never getting in amd out of boxes. Which is a lot of what matches have

I have a real fancy one...I put masking tape on the garage floor.

• dels and SteveC5ws6 like this

#17 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

PVC pipe, here.

I done some quick step last night, too. I think I really suck at it, but no idea on time. Just felt sluggish out of position and just about always took two tiny little steps to get across.

#18 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:08 AM

Awesome that you started a range diary. You will do really well.
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#19 jabbermurph

jabbermurph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'm still disappointed he lied about his chiseled abs....I've been fapping to a pic of a stranger and I feel dirty

#20 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

20 minutes of dry fire during half time of the Blazer game.

Few minutes of wall drill, few minutes of trigger control at speed.

I do a variation of trigger control at speed; pulling the trigger before the beep ends where I move my pistol across an arch from one side of the garage to the other...keeping a perfect sight picture and when the beep goes, pull the trigger while keeping the arch.  Basically no disruption in the sight picture, no disruption in the arch.  To me, I feel like it inoculates me from recoil, muzzle flip/flash, etc.  I'm just concentrating on my sights and trigger control.  I think it works for me...

Burkett reloads.  Feel pretty much about 90% on getting to the well.  Maybe about 80% on the third mag pouch though.  Did them while moving and did them as part of a quick step.

FAST Dry.  I like it because it test a lot of things at the same time.  Fast draw, small target, reload, etc.  I was doing it safely in 2.9 seconds which seemed wicked fast for me so I tried a few at 2.6 and was able to do that which made me feel really good. 

Table pick-up.  Not my favorite thing but you can really loose some time on these in a match.  For me...I have a hard time doing the load while raising the pistol.  Seems I do better if I have the pistol almost in a standard reload position.  That is more positive but it seems it would be slower than loading while raising..  But it's definitely faster than screwing something up.

Ordered  a case of 230g LRN to load up some GSSF ammo for next year and Dawson is sending me a taller front sight for my G4 G34; also a GSSF pistol

• Mr_White likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)