558 replies to this topic

#21 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Thought of the Day. Flinch, jerk, push, pre-ignition disruption.

Much is said about pre-ignition disruption of the sights in the form a flinch, etc. Recently an article against dry fire was shared in which the author asserted the remedy is firing a bunch of rounds to inoculate the shooter from the recoil, muzzle blast, flash etc.  And that by firing many, many rounds, the shooter would be used to the noise and such and then would be able to shoot without flinching, etc.

My experience has been much different.  First, I never had much issue with flinching in the first place but I did find that I had to concentrate intently to ensure I didn’t do something with my hands or grip (that would affect aim) to compensate for the pending recoil.  After about a year of regular dry fire I have found that dry fire has 'inoculated" me from concern regarding recoil, muzzle blast, flash, noise, etc.   Here’s how.  Because dry fire is the bulk of my training I give zero thought to recoil, muzzle blast, flash, noise, etc. in my training.   I pull the trigger again and again and my focus is on the sights and the trigger....which is where it should be in live fire; right?

So when I live fire, or shoot a match; I perform to the level of my capabilities based on my experience practicing and skills learned in practice.  In practice I focus on the sights and the trigger giving no thought to muzzle blast, recoil, flash etc. so in a match I give no thought to muzzle blast, recoil, flash, etc.  I am routinely shooting 90-95% of the points.  YMMV, but I think shooting so much you “get used to it” may not be as productive afterall.

• dels and JohnnySr like this

#22 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

Dry Fire. 15 minutes.

Didn't have my timer with me.

Draw to sight picture on a white wall.

Turning draw. Really concentrating on stepping too and not spinning. Watching to make sure I get my body around before I draw. Felt pretty good.

Reloads. If I'm turning, running, changing directions...I'm most successful when I have my pistol straight off my chest and am looking in the well mostly with my peripheral on where I'm going.

Weak hand draw. Without the timer I just worked on drawing to a sight picture on a wall. After a dozen or so, I felt like I had a pretty good pace to it.

**Gun pickups. I think I had a major breakthrough revelation with the pickup and load! I put the mag touching the pistol and pick up the pistol with my strong hand; simultaneously picking up my magazines...but I pinch the whole thing together which lets my weak hand help pick up the pistol. As I acquire a good grip, I'm really just need to insert the magazine and charge it. I was doing this really fast and fluid..Much better than last night ad will put it on a timer. Not sure if I'm going to charge it from the cocking serrations or power stroke it. Seems the cocking serrations...for me, have more chance for error.

#23 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

32 Minutes Dry Fire.  I've found it helpful to set my stop watch when I start.  I stop when I feel done; when it's work, when I don't feel I'm having fun, engaged, aware, etc.  Today that time was about 3 mintues before I actually stopped, so that's coo..

Table pick up:

My method (for me) is wicked fast.  Easily beating the par of 2.5 seconds.  Of course, I scratch the crap out of my gun...  but it's a police sample M&P 45 that is bullseye accurate, totally reliable, and has a sub 2 lb trigger job and a huge mag well opening it ought to be a limited gun.... I mean, it's not like I spent a bunch of money on a fancy CZ or anything  :)

More quick step.  3.8 seconds.  Felt strong with it.  Found that if I cross over to take one step to the middle of the box, then my next step is a half step to just outside the box and I nail the target from one foot.  Felt good!

Slow fire trigger control.  1 minute each: freestyle, SHO, and WHO.

Burkett reloads.  Was getting to the well in .6.

Reload beep to shot on an open target.  Goal 1 second.

Started at 1.3 and worked myself down to 1.0 and had my wife listen for the horn or the click to see which came first.  Was making 1.0 about 50% of the time....but, if I missed it, it was usually with trying to cram the magazine in one fluid motion without just a hiccup at the well before slamming home.

I think at match speed...I'll go for the 1.2 range to ensure accuracy.

Probably will hit the range tomorrow for some chill group shooting if my sight for my G34 (GSSF pistol) shows up.  Also waiting on some precision moly 230  for my G21 (also GSSF).  Interested to see what 4.3 BE does.  I'd like to be right around 715 - 725 FPS.  Seems to run the gun and I feel like I can shoot it well.

• Twinkie likes this

#24 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

I stop when I feel done; when it's work, when I don't feel I'm having fun, engaged, aware, etc. 

I think that's a really excellent way to do it.

• nwhpfan likes this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#25 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

13 Minutes of DF tonight.  Origami ^^^^ made a reply to Twinkie about doing what you can when you have the time... well, I had 13 minutes before I had to go to out to run an errand; was motivated, ready to learn, so I put in some work.

Wall drill couple minutes, trigger control at speed; FS, WHO, SHO, couple minutes.  My arch perfect sight picture trigger control at speed.

Also did some Burkett reloads with movement.  Quick step, on the move, etc.

Finished it off with some draw to a sight picture in 1.1, the perfect press before the stop beep is done.  Feeling good.  Thinking about shooting the local in Eugene tomorrow..

• dels likes this

#26 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

Thinking about shooting the local in Eugene tomorrow..

Sounds gay.

#27 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Sounds gay.

They put on a good match down there... It's just about a 2hr drive for me that's all....

#28 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

Ohhhhh. My bad. I thought you said you were going to shoot a load into Eugene.

I'm like... who is this eugene guy.
  • dravz likes this

#29 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Another 16 minutes this evening.  Really felt like training....

Consistently hitting 1 second reloads.

Will not shoot the match tomorrow.  Nobody to go with :(

• Twinkie likes this

#30 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Did you call Eugene?

#31 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

15 minutes of DF this AM.

Slow fire trigger control, trigger control at speed.   Freestyle, SHO, WHO.

Did a drill where I drew, fired 1, reload, fired 1.  Par was 1.5 seconds.  A guy I shoot against had a video of him doing it http://youtu.be/ay8ETFaTOI0  So I wanted to see if I could...  The first two or three times I was doing it in about 1.8 before I got down to 1.5....but I don't think I could pull it off in live fire with anything more than a 3 yard hoser target. And adjusted for live fire I'd be looking at a 1.65.

I think for me I'm getting more mileage out of a quick set up and A's at 15-20 yards, so I'm working more on aiming fast and hitting fast.  (Somebody should coin that phrase for a training company, sounds pretty catchy).  I think it's going to take being able to move the gun to target, and pulling the trigger with no disruptions (duh).  So the bulk of my training is around moving out of position/into, quick steps, shooting on the move; transitions target to target...to partials, etc.

I did do some reload practice.  I can hit 1 second but not reliably cold.  I can hit 1.2 reliably in DF cold...  At 1 second (cold) I'm prone to mistakes which costs me even more time.  I think for me my "match speed" on a reload is about 1.2.

Got some wood to build a barricade for my garage and DF.

• Twinkie and Hans3005 like this

#32 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

My Precision Bullets and replacement front sight from Dawson arrived.  Dawson's policy of sending you the right height for free is awesome.  .205 (standard) was too high so they sent me a .230 based on how high my load was printing. 

The .230 was dead on at 25 yards with my ammo; which is 3.6 TG or 3.9 BE with 125 TC from Black and Blue Bullets.

Loaded up Precision 230 RN with 4.3 BE and they averaged 709 FPS.  So 163 PF.  But they are for GSSF and PF doesn't matter.  It runs my G4 G21 just fine and I put 5/5 in the head box from 25 yards so it's what I'll shoot in HM this GSSF season.  Not smokey at all.

#33 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

Sounds like you are doing pretty well with minimal practice - leveraging an existing good foundation.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#34 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

Sounds like you are doing pretty well with minimal practice - leveraging an existing good foundation.

I practice all the time...  I get a lot of out of DF.

But to be fair, I do live fire at work at least twice a month.

But really...how much of running a gun actually requires real ammo? 

In DF I take my shot the moment I'm on target...live fire same thing.  In live fire...of course, there is some recoil and sometimes a bit of fixing the sights...but again, as soon as the sights are there I take the shot. 

#35 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

First off, I built a target stand/barricade.  Nothing special.  Just cut up a 2x4 with a space for 1x2 to and then clipped on a USPSA Target to the 1x2's.  Then I put tape on the floor to make the shooting box.  Took about 8$ worth of material and 45 minutes.  In hindsight..there are a lot of fancy plans on the internet for stands out of PVC pipe and such so I kind of wish I would have made a lighter one.  Or at least out of pine instead of doug fir....

23 Minutes Dry Fire.

Started off with slow fire trigger control all hands and variations, then trigger control at speed.  I never tire of this one...

Then barricade drills.  I've never had one before so I've never practiced getting behind it, etc.  I did find the par of 3.0 from the BS book fairly doable without too much effort.  I am much fast shooting from the strong side of the barricade regardless of what side I start from...which I found interesting.  I also found if I'm going to the week side; pushing my pistol right to the edge, then around the corner with my eyes right behind seems to work well.

I then did some shooting from the barricade; two from one side, reload, two from the other.  See this stuff in classifiers all the time.  I did variations of hands on the barricde, X's, side of barricade, etc.

I found that a 4.0 DF par to partial targets was about where I'm at for a perfect all A run.

I dinked around with which side to start from...which target on which side, etc.

Generally I found the easiest /closest target first was fastest for me....

#36 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

Put in 10 minutes last night while the wife did the dishes.  Just wall drill slow fire trigger contro at the kitchen counter.  Took one from the book of OrigamiAK; do what you can - when you can.  Plus, I just didn't feel like doing much more than that.  Really working on my WHO resetting the trigger without moving the pistol much.  I think I'll save a lot of time in live fire if when WHO I don't have to spend time to get back on target.. 

#37 SME at Pistol Forum

SME at Pistol Forum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Do you get bored just dry firing? 

Pistol Forum Subject Matter Expert...  Which pretty much equals B class at Doodie Project

#38 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:14 AM

15 Minutes DF

Barricade and low ports.

Really exposed my lack of explosion going from one side to the next.  Noticed if I get my gun over first, my body is quickly behind.  Move the gun, body follows...

Was getting 1 sec reloads fairly reliably.  Today is 1 week of dedicated journal ling...and I DF'd every day. 

#39 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Nice. Good job!

#40 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

About 20 minutes DF.

SFTC (slow fire trigger control)  FS, SHO, WHO.

Then

6 reload 6 reload 6.   I did this for 3 minutes straight and was hustling my ass off.  I got it in the par about 3 times in all!  This is not easy for me.  I think I need about a tenth in the draw and reloads to make it... 

El Prez.  I could not do this reliably in 3.5 seconds.  I could in 4...maybe 3.9.  It is a lot on the draw.  I am very conservative.  I don't feel comfortable going much faster than about 1.1 seconds. This to ensure I do not draw up range.  I also think my reload is about 1.2.  I'm having a hard time just going to that warp speed I need on a reload.  I find that warp speed after a warm-up...or after failing to meet my par...but I have a hard time just being able to mash the gas.

SHO/WHO 2 shots to 3 targets.  I was easily making 2.8 seconds with the weak hand.  2.2 in the strong was a little wild.  I was comfortable at 2.4.  Strangely for me...I shoot left handed but am actually right hand dominant. 

Secretary of State...  or whatever.  3 targets.  2, 2, 2 reload SHO, 2, 2, 2.  and 2,2,2 relaod, WHO 2,2,2  I don't remember what my times were.

Got a G4 G17 today...  Hands down best out of the box Glock trigger ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users