#541 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Bought a ZJ off Craigs List for $350 to turn into a wheeler. Working on that taking away time from the DF.

Please refer to it as a Cherocar from now on. Thanks.

Signed,
Toyota rockcrawling snob who gave up 'wheeling for shooting.
  • nwhpfan and Nicoll like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#542 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Got in 20 minutes tonight and I loaded up 500 rounds today.  Haven't had much time lately shooting sports working on the Jeep Cherocar.  Mostly just cleaning it up and finding more problems to fix.  But for $350 not so bad.  Have a lift to put in and front and rear complete axles.

As for the DF.  Slow fire trigger control and trigger control at speed; then reloads.

I didn't feel like I missed much.

The weather around me has been extra wintery.  Snow, ice, snow and ice.  Pretty much shutting everything down and its been just too cold to shoot.

My goal for this week.  Load 500 rounds a night until I'm out of bullets and DF at least 20 minutes a night each night this week.

#543 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Doing a little df and working on the cherocar.  I really wish I didn't have to work so I could just shoot, make ammo, and swear at this stupid Cherocar.  But I have to work more to buy tools now to work on the cherocar. 

DF. Would really like to shoot.  Feeling good about putting my sights on target and hitting.  Lots of trigger control at speed.

#544 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Put in 20 minutes of DF and I loaded  500 up rounds of coated 147 RN and 3.1 Bullseye.  I have about 500 more rounds to load and I'll be sitting on close to 12k for this year. 

I haven't live fire trained in months nor shot a match since August.  Too cold, I coach sports - just busy.  And I don't want to shoot when it's less than ideal.  Seems in years past I've wasted ammo shooting in the winter.  I usually have a good plan for my training but there were days I just made noise.  These days ammo and time...especially time is precious.  Going to make sure I make the most of all of it this year.

I DF mostly gun handling and trigger control right now.  Lots of trigger control at speed and focusing on body tension, being relaxed in the right places and processing information.  I also worked on transitions and moving the gun right to the spot I want of fire.

• GuanoLoco likes this

#545 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Very thankful to get in 20 minutes last night but it was very cold in my garage. About 40 degrees. I have my jeep in there too so not a lot of room to move around so mostly gun handling. Trigger control of all types, draw to a spot, and reloads. I use the trigger finger release because that's the way I've always done it, even though with the G34 G4 I could change it. Just something I think about it.

Here's a video of my doing trigger finger release just for fun.

#546 eahill85

eahill85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet, hiding from my children

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

WJ is better. I have one I'll give you a sweet deal on. The transfer case is broken and the heater doesn't work, which is super awesome in the winter. Five of the six speakers are blown, but I went ahead and put a 12" sub in the back cause you know, priorities. Did I mention it has heated leather seats? Don't worry those don't work either. Anyway, WJ is better.
  • nwhpfan likes this
Taking a doodie while on doodieđź’©

#547 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

15 minutes last night.  For the first time in a long time I worked on movement.  I started on one side of the shooting box, hit 3 targets, then moved to the other side of the box. I noticed the gun isn't always in the same general area for the reload as I move.  I try to be consistent but I seem to be a bit all over the place.  Something to work on on a concentrate on in practice so my magazine hand is going to a consistent spot and the mag well is there.

#548 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Got in 16 minutes tonight and I was glad to do it.  Ugh, I've got my Jeep in the garage with half a lift. a tore apart front end on one side, and the old rear end on the other side.  So busy.

So for DF I did the staples, slow fire trigger control, trigger control at speed.  I also work on reloads and gun handling of all types.  Also working on getting my gun right to a spot and pulling the trigger without delay. 

No live fire training in months due to the Jeep, coaching, and weather.  We are expecting yet another winter storm later this week.  Good news is I'm totally loaded up with about 12k rounds.

#549 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:16 AM

25 minutes of DF.  SFTC, TCAS, reloads.

ZJ almost done, weather getting better, hope to live fire soon.

#550 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

Alright!  First trip to the range in months and I guess you could say I did some training.

First off I verified all the ammo I loaded all winter does what it supposed to do.  3.0-1 BE and 147 are about a 130 PF.

Then I shot the CSAT Paul Howe Pistol Standards.  I shot it last year and put the video on youtube.  Even though I cut the time by %20 I had 2 people contact me to let me know I did a couple of the tests wrong. 

Then I sighted in my new Burris Fast Fire on my future Unlimited Glock 17 for GSSF.  3 moa dot and it really seems to jumps a lot like a laser pointer.  Not sure if a bigger dot would have had a softer feel or not.  When I shoot fibers I tend to think of it like a dot but it really doesn't seem to move much...just kind of wiggle around.  The last thing it needs is a compensator.

Didn't shoot much more than that.  It was still a little cold so I packed it up.

#551 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Then I signed in my new Burris Fast Fire on my future Unlimited Glock 17 for GSSF. 3 moa dot and it really seems to jumps a lot like a laser pointer. Not sure if a bigger dot would have had a softer feel or not. When I shoot fibers I tend to think of it like a dot but it really doesn't seem to move much...just kind of wiggle around.

Your POA is moving the same amount, but you're tracking the movement of the front sight without maintaining sight alignment the whole time. The dot is projected onto the target, maintaining sight alignment, if you will, so the movement appears to be amplified.

If you could mount a camera being the rear sight to maintain the sight alignment with the front sight, the camera would capture the same movement on the target that you see with the dot.

The comparison to a laser pointer is spot on! The dot behaves exactly the same because both are projected onto the target; the laser pointer directly, the dot virtually.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• nwhpfan likes this

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#552 busdriver

busdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

Don't let the dot movement unnerve you, it's easy to over-aim trying to make it totally still.  From my limited experience a bigger dot won't help here either.  You just need to get used to the dot essentially being in different degrees of constant motion.  - Free advice from a barely A class open dude.  On the internet.  

• nwhpfan likes this

#553 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Don't let the dot movement unnerve you, it's easy to over-aim trying to make it totally still.  From my limited experience a bigger dot won't help here either.  You just need to get used to the dot essentially being in different degrees of constant motion.  - Free advice from a barely A class open dude.  On the internet.  

Sounds good.  I figured it might make more sense once I spend some time doing it.

#554 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Range today.  Shot about 300+ rounds or so.  Great weather...sunny about 50.

Started out with http://pistol-traini...lls/dot-tortureDot Torture ala Pistol Training.com.  Good drill.  Felt very comfortable.  At seven yards I shot 49/50 dropping 1 round weak hand only.  After a really long live fire break I wanted to just shoot my gun and see how I felt. 

Then I shot ihack  Small targets, have to shoot fast.  I like it.  I didn't have too much trouble shooting 7-9 or clean in about 2.5 seconds from 5 yards. 

Then I shot Frank Garcia's Dot Drill.  Same concept of the i-hack with the small target but instead of transition you have stay on target and really call your shot and stay on target..make sure yo.u have an acceptable sight picture...which can be misleading with such a small target.  I shot it 6 times and dropped 3 rounds today.  I usually got done in about 4.5 range.  I can see how this could be addicting and frustrating but I think you can be really good and still not clean this test with regularity.  I found it interesting that my splits weren't always the same.  Sometimes i would lose my grip or the gun didn't return just right so my split would be very long.  Sometimes the gun return perfect and I had a very fast split. 

Shot some and 10 round 50 group freestyle twice and was 7A 3 C twice.  I think that's pretty good.  I can't imagine what it takes for these guys that can should bullseye groups from this distance.

Shot some 2 reload 2 and was doing the reload in about 1.3 seconds.  This has been about my speed for a long time.

I think Winter starts again next week but I plan to dry fire more regularly this week.

#555 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Put in about 25 minutes of DF tonight.  Staples, staples, staples.

I really feel like I'm doing DF reloads in 1 seconds but live fire I'm about 1.3.  Not sure what to make of all that. 

The Jeep is done and it looks really good so I can DF now in the evenings.  Not sure if I'll shoot a match ever again because I'm coaching a winter league soccer team and we're now we're talking about continuing together as a Spring team.

#556 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

25 minutes last night. Draws, reloads, trigger control, etc.

I was cruising through some pretty nice DF El Pres between 3.5 and 4.0.

#557 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Did you quit shooting?

#558 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Why all the DF if you're not gonna shoot a match again?

#559 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Did you quit shooting?

I only shoot GSSF and outlaw charity matches.  Can't keep up with the rule changes in USPSA.

Plus I've been real busy trying to save the world.

Why all the DF if you're not gonna shoot a match again?

I DF very little but I shoot a lot.  I did real well in GSSF this year.

• peterthefish likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users