561 replies to this topic

#41 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

I don't feel comfortable going much faster than about 1.1 seconds. This to ensure I do not draw up range.

I think the answer to this is to make your turn better and put your emphasis on that.  Don't try to draw at the beep, try to snap the head to the target at the beep (and draw too.)  I bet you will be facing downrange by the time you have master grip established and will end up with an overall faster time to first shot.  Just an idea, I don't know if it will really help.  You could use video to check yourself and make sure you aren't breaking the 180 if you wanted to be really sure.

• nwhpfan and JohnnySr like this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#42 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

I think the answer to this is to make your turn better and put your emphasis on that.  Don't try to draw at the beep, try to snap the head to the target at the beep (and draw too.)  I bet you will be facing downrange by the time you have master grip established and will end up with an overall faster time to first shot.  Just an idea, I don't know if it will really help.  You could use video and post that so all the Internet RO's will try to DQ you  to check yourself and make sure you aren't breaking the 180 if you wanted to be really sure.

FIFY.

• Mr_White likes this

#43 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

I think the answer to this is to make your turn better and put your emphasis on that.  Don't try to draw at the beep, try to snap the head to the target at the beep (and draw too.)  I bet you will be facing downrange by the time you have master grip established and will end up with an overall faster time to first shot.  Just an idea, I don't know if it will really help.  You could use video to check yourself and make sure you aren't breaking the 180 if you wanted to be really sure.

So what do you think is a good time for a turning draw...1 dryfire shot to 7 yard open target?

#44 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

So what do you think is a good time for a turning draw...1 dryfire shot to 7 yard open target?

Good question.  Despite what I think is a good tip above, I'm no big authority on turn and draws.  Mine got a lot faster when I changed how I turn from a timmy way to snapping my head first and foremost, while lifting my right foot and turning it to the right and planting the foot almost facing downrange.  Then the rest of my body rotates right and catches up, and I have been drawing the whole time.  If everything goes well, the first shot is firing as I am putting my left foot on the ground.

I seem to remember seeing people talking somewhere (Benos, or a Steve Anderson book or something?) about .6 to .7 second turn and draws in dry fire.  I'm sure I'm nowhere near that.  I think I remember doing one sub-second turn and draw ever, and usually I am more like 1.0 to 1.2.  This is not something I spend a lot of time on.

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

#45 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK, I was able to do some .8 sight pictures without spinning; and staying in a good stance to hose targets if need be...

18 minutes of DF.

Nothing revolutionary  here..  Just, I'm not really breaking that 1 second mark on reloads.  I think I may have hit the ceiling here.  in fact...I think I need to see the match speed in the 1.1-1.2 and put my effort into other stuff.  I've said that before..  The harder I push the more mistakes I make.  Going for a .98 reload is an easy way to turn it into a 1.65 reload if I make a mistake.  At 1.1-2 I'm pretty consistent.

I need to work on charging into a port and nailing 3 partials...hitting the first target the moment I can with my body still following into position...then shoot the last target as the other half of my body are burning off to to the next array..

Will be doing some form of live fire tomorrow and a match on Saturday..

• GuanoLoco likes this

#46 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

Live fire training day didn't perform the way I had expected so I had a shitty feeling.  We did this drill where it was like El Prez but head box only.  Targets at 7, 3, 10 yards.  I had a hard time knowing what my "match speed" was and I kept throwing shots at the 10 yard target.  IDK...just didn't feel super great.

So after 10 hours on the range I did about 20 minutes of DF when I got home.  Shooting a match tomorrow.

Really need to think about what is "match mode" for me; and then shoot at that level. 

#47 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

God damn, 10 hrs on the range? How many thousands of rounds did you shoot?

#48 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Actual trigger pulling is only a very small part of Operating.
  • Larry Costa likes this

#49 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Anaesthesia is the best part of operating.

#50 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

The best part about operating is that no one knows I'm not really a Doctor.
  • ToddKS likes this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#51 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

Everyone's a dr. With google and youtube.

#52 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Match today had 5 Prodcution Masters and 1 Production GM.  I finished 5th overall and 85% of the winner.  Something like 90 points from me to the winner....

The most important thing..  "Match Speed."  I started on the classifier and for whatever dumb reason I decided I woudl just shoot it at 100%.  Well, I had 1 mike and 3 D and a couple C's.  Classifier wise that's a 61% so it doesn't hurt me...  But it was "Works for me"  I shot it in 6.5 sec.  Had I shot all A's at 8 seconds...which I know I can do; like that would be my "match speed".  I probably would have taken the stage. In fact...I think I probably would end up around 7.5 taking the time for all A's...

I cleaned it up the rest of the match though and kept telling myself "match mode" match mode, all A's as fast as I can...  eat a "c " only if it's with a .8 draw that kind of stuff....  So I held my own but I've been working hard on mechanics and DF stuff and I have to be realistic with the "hits."  Another reason verification through live fire is so important.

Two weeks until the next match for me (unless it's raining) so I'll try to hit the range for some live fire verification stuff.

#53 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Everyone's a dr. With google and youtube.

And Holiday Inn Express.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#54 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

Two weeks until the next match for me (unless it's raining)

What is this 'unless it's raining' bs?

#55 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

A couple videos from the match.  I don't know how to edit anything so I on this video start at about :20.

Shot this pretty clean.  My time was 21 something which was pretty much the ceiling for this one.  Felt pretty good.  I shot getting into the car and felt pretty fast.  Took at least 2 extra shots that were unnecessary.

http://youtu.be/h14lsrxyFVE

So this one starts right away...no editing needed.  Felt pretty good about this one.  I was happy to execute the plan just as I had planned it.  The gun started on the table; mags on the barrel.  Last weeks DF training on gun pick-ups really paid off and I was glad to see this.  I shot this stage totally clean and took 1 unnecessary shot on paper....  Felt pretty good I shoot on the  move when I could; shot soon after being set up, etc.  Probably my best stage this match.

http://youtu.be/UgXg7lSfE54

#56 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Reacharound's other account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

A couple videos from the match.  I don't know how to edit anything so I on this video start at about :20.

Shot this pretty clean.  My time was 21 something which was pretty much the ceiling for this one.  Felt pretty good.  I shot getting into the car and felt pretty fast.  Took at least 2 extra shots that were unnecessary.

http://youtu.be/h14lsrxyFVE

So this one starts right away...no editing needed.  Felt pretty good about this one.  I was happy to execute the plan just as I had planned it.  The gun started on the table; mags on the barrel.  Last weeks DF training on gun pick-ups really paid off and I was glad to see this.  I shot this stage totally clean and took 1 unnecessary shot on paper....  Felt pretty good I shoot on the  move when I could; shot soon after being set up, etc.  Probably my best stage this match.

http://youtu.be/UgXg7lSfE54

you fucked up shooting that right hand target from the starting position on stage 4.  you could have gotten to the next array quicker and shot it going into the car.  with fuck did you shoot one target going into the car, then one thru the windshield?  transitions too far that way.  shoot those three then go to the windshield.  you could have shot the front two poppers, then the close paper on the left, then back to the back 2 poppers.

stage 6-no way going for the ammo was quicker-even for left handed idiots like you.

#57 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

you fucked up shooting that right hand target from the starting position on stage 4.  you could have gotten to the next array quicker and shot it going into the car.  with fuck did you shoot one target going into the car, then one thru the windshield?  transitions too far that way.  shoot those three then go to the windshield.  you could have shot the front two poppers, then the close paper on the left, then back to the back 2 poppers.

stage 6-no way going for the ammo was quicker-even for left handed idiots like you.

Maybe...

We'll have to wait for the results to be posted - I know I didn't win the stage in Production but... I think I was competitive.

I agree with taking the first pieces of steel from the car then paper..then going back to the steel.

There were three targets  out the drivers side window and 3 out the windshield...

I took 2 through the drivers window and 1 from the windshield on my way and into the car.  Then took the deep target you have to be in the car to see; reloaded and took what was left out the windshield....

I shot it in 21 and change and I think I had 2-3 C's...so pretty high points.

As far as the target you think I could have taken on the move to the car....possibly.  But I hit 2 A's on it and was already in that position.  That was my reasoning.

#58 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

The complete results are in....

I gave 11 match points to the Production stage winner on the ammo pick up stage and 14 points on the shooting from the car stage....  So I need to get fast; but I'm not willing to give up the points in the process.  I shot the ammo pick up stage clean and the car stage at 96.35%.  I will agree some stage planning cost me some seconds and those seconds were where the points were...

Overall in the match I still shot 89% of the points including a dissaster on the classifier where I bascially handed over 30 match points trying to be a big shot.

Had 1 other stage that was a minor dissaster where I left a lot of points. Missing on steel costs time...the extra .2 to take a good shot is worth the 1-2 secs blasting away and missing.  I had another stage where I totally screwed a mag change that cost me points too.  Again...going for a 1.1 mag change on the run cost me 3 seconds.  Had I just been in a match mode of 1.3-5 I would have saved 10-15 points. 

I don't like the spread between me and the match winner; who I've beaten before - but the guys ahead of me are all very good.  But there is no magic pill, piece of gear, or scheme that is going to get me to where I want to be.

It's going to take evaluating my performance, identifying where I need to improve, and getting to work.

#59 nwhpfan

nwhpfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

BTW Frank, how did you finish?

#60 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Reacharound's other account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

i suck-12th open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users