#1 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Curious how many of us out there are seriously trying to lose weight in 2015.  By serious I mean have a plan and are taking direct steps to do so. 

I know there are mixed opinions on how much weight loss and fitness benefit shooters but I know for me it seems to help.

For me, at this time last year I was 250+.  I got down to 215 last spring.  My goal was to get below 210 (never quite made it).  I managed to stay between 215 and 220 all year until the holidays hit.  By Christmas I was 229 and I decided that was it.  I was not going back to 250.  I am back down to 221 and my goal is to make 210 by the end of February.

The primary change I made was diet.  I went back to entering everything I eat into an app on my phone and using that to keep my calories at around 1600-1800 per day.  That does not sound like much but I am at a desk most of the day which doesn't require a lot of calories.

In addition to the diet I am exercising 4-5 times a week for an hour or more with time spent stretching, etc. at home on top of that.

For those also trying to lose weight in 2015, what are your goals and strategies to achieve them?

#2 JoeyBagODonuts

JoeyBagODonuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

That's pretty much me, try to eat 1200-1600 calories a day.  Only way to do it is to track it on an app or in a spreadsheet.  I've done both and do both.  I log the exercise as well as calories consumed.

228 right now. 

Goal is 170 (58 lbs), stretch goal would be 163 (65 lbs).

What kills me is:  

1) Alcohol

2) Restaurants 

3) Bingeing due to stress.

4) Vending machine at work.

Triggers that mess me up:

1) Nasty People

2) Stress brought on by Nasty People

3) Invitations to restaurants/bars

4) Vacations

• yomamma likes this

Wait, I smell more than donuts...

#3 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

You're pissing in the wind if the largest part of your plan isn't your diet.   Don't just "go on a diet" either, learn what you should eat , and learn what you shouldn't eat.

In May 2013-November 2013 I went from 220 to 165.    I dropped the first 30 by diet alone with some light jogging.   I started to stall out at that point and started getting into the running more and more.    By November I was running between 4 and 5 miles at a time.    I started going to HIIT classes the following January.   

IMO, it would be hurtful to jump right into an exercise program.   Think of it like this...  is there an activity you can think of where grabbing 30lbs of extra weight will help you complete the activity better?   That's essentially what you're doing.    I don't think my knees would have taken it too well if I had tried to jump right into running 5ks until I slimmed my ass down a little bit.

A year and a few months later I'm hovering around 175, but I don't think the 10lbs was fat.  

Anyone that thinks being healthier won't improve your shooting is full of shit.   Are there great shooters that are out of shape?  Sure there are, but they would be much better if they were healthier and more agile.  

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#4 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

LeadChucker has a guaranteed program where you can lose 30 lbs (of money) in thirty days. Good news is you can then sell it to your friends and family to make your dough back. Don't eat the dough or you'll be a fat bastard again in no time.
  • Miculek is a Noob and barry owens like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#5 tsbball

tsbball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

It's all about calories; I've already lost 6 lbs this year. Get pissed off, count your calories, and relish in the fact that being slightly hungry is a good thing. Once you lose all the weight you can go back to calorie neutral and the hunger goes away.
  • ToddKS likes this

#6 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

and relish in the fact that being slightly hungry is a good thing. 

Yep, forgot to say that.  Especially at bed time.

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#7 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

I know I should but I haven't done squat about it.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#8 Fire Lion

Fire Lion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

I quit going to the gym and I quit eating 4 meals per day.  I started running and eating a lot less.  It really is all about calories. I lost over 50 lbs.  I now weigh 128 lbs and I feel a lot more agile.

#9 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Holy shit, the Ladies of USPSA are here.  You idiots sound like my mom and her fat sisters for chrissake.  I can hear you at a match...  

" I'm fat, right? ".

" No, Todd.  You're beautiful."

" You're just saying that to make me feel better."

" No really, those capris are very flattering."

" Thanks, Joey.  Do you think this new sponsor jersey makes my butt look big?"

" Not at all, honey.  You had everyone's attention back there on Stage 4."

" OMG, I love shooting with you guys.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  Fuckers.

ETA:  I'm just kidding Donuts.  Do not, I repeat, do not get stressed out over this post and start binging. 

• JoeyBagODonuts, GuanoLoco and Matt like this

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#10 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

weight loss surgery.

Yeah i said it.

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#11 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

What kills me is:

1) Alcohol
2) Restaurants
3) Bingeing due to stress.
4) Vending machine at work.

I pretty much gave up the restaurants. For me lunch was where I was eating out. I now bring my lunch and snacks from home. Not only saves calories but cash as well. Same goes for the vending machines. I just don't do it any more. These two items were a big part of how I got to 250+ a year ago.

Alcohol. That is the tough one for me as well. I am a big fan of beer and like to drink when the world displeases me. Quiting completely would probably maximize my weight loss speed but I don't think I would be happy. I quit drinking on week nights but still allow myself some drinks on the weekend. Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself about how far you are willing to go.

• JoeyBagODonuts likes this

#12 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

http://www.brianenos...gobbling&page=1

Start a range diary and maybe TGO will take you under his wing bitches.

• Miculek is a Noob likes this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#13 RDS

RDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Actually since I am a GM at weight loss, one of the biggest helps for weight loss is a food diary.  Makes you very conscious of your calorie intake.

• CZinSC, JoeyBagODonuts and ToddKS like this

It's not about winning, it's about emasculating your friends in front of their loved ones

#14 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

Maybe that's why food diaries work to help you lose weight. It's such a pain to keep them updated that you just don't eat as much so you don't have to log it.

• CZinSC and JoeyBagODonuts like this
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#15 JoeyBagODonuts

JoeyBagODonuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

http://www.brianenos...gobbling&page=1

Start a range diary and maybe TGO will take you under his wing bitches.

I'm banned there and never posted anything.   But that just got me pissed, no stress,

#16 JoeyBagODonuts

JoeyBagODonuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

Actually since I am a GM at weight loss, one of the biggest helps for weight loss is a food diary.  Makes you very conscious of your calorie intake.

You should write a book:  Weight Loss With Winning In Mind

• Twinkie and ToddKS like this

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

I pretty much gave up the restaurants. For me lunch was where I was eating out. I now bring my lunch and snacks from home. Not only saves calories but cash as well. Same goes for the vending machines. I just don't do it any more. These two items were a big part of how I got to 250+ a year ago.

Alcohol. That is the tough one for me as well. I am a big fan of beer and like to drink when the world displeases me. Quiting completely would probably maximize my weight loss speed but I don't think I would be happy. I quit drinking on week nights but still allow myself some drinks on the weekend. Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself about how far you are willing to go.

If you are dry firing or reloading at night you drink less, or at least I drink a lot less.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#18 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

I've lost over 100 pounds three separate times.  Gained it back every time.  

The food diary and limiting calories works.  Exercise helps because it seems to curb the appetite or at least it gives incentive not to "waste" that exercise you just did by eating something.

#19 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

Having something to do definitely motivates me not to drink so much. I reload and dry fire at night but the big motivation is the gym. The wife gets off work at 9 so I can't get to the gym until 930. If I drink then no gym. No gym = more fatter. Even with those motivations it is still an exercise of will. The reality is I would rather drink beer and eat wings than work out, dry fire, and eat right. I choose to do the better things because of my other goals not because in enjoy it.

#20 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

I've lost over 100 pounds three separate times. Gained it back every time.

The food diary and limiting calories works. Exercise helps because it seems to curb the appetite or at least it gives incentive not to "waste" that exercise you just did by eating something.

This is the situation I am working against as well. I have been as heavy as 289 over the years. The reality that I am trying to come to terms with is that what I am doing now is not a temporary thing if I want to keep the weight off.

If I go back to eating bad and drinking beer all the time I will gain the weight back. I went full retard with fork and beer over the holidays and gained 9 pounds in 5 weeks. I have to accept this reality and permanently change my behavior or I will be in this cycle indefinitely.

I really don't want to have to keep a food diary until I die but that seems to be what works so until I find a better alternative I will stick with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users