SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

http://eaacorp.com/p...te-limited-pro/

looks like it should be, not sure if it is.. I was looking at the base model gun for IDPA.. but DAMN. .. has a straight barrel and DA/SA design.... now they just need to lose 2 onces to make it legal... a polymer gun maybe?  the weight forces it into ESP. :(

#2 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

New rulebook says even SSP guns can be 43oz?

#3 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

no shit... bad ass!

#4 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

PM ny32182 here though. IIRC, he tried a Limited Pro as an IDPA gun and found it wouldn't fit some boxes and barely fit others. Really close to the limit.

#5 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

You can shave down the beavertail slightly and it fits, even with Stegger basepads.

SSP legal, bitches!

#6 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

LoL just don't get caught shaving that beaver or you'll be kicked to ESP given a failure to kiss ass and saddled with a cruelty to animals badge.

Very cool though. i'll definitley be looing into it.

#7 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

Yeah cause IDPA chrono goons know a modified beavertail on a Tanfo when they see it. Could also simply be repaired.

If you can pound it into a wood box I've not found an IDPA box mine won't fit. If the box is the one the Pro Shop sells then you need to do some gun plumbing to make it fit.

#8 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

You're also fucked on box starts.

#9 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

Write "Wilson combat" on the side and it's guaranteed to be legal.
  • laughingdog, dels, SteveC5ws6 and 1 other like this

#10 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

You're also fucked on box starts.

If you can fit the gun in the IDPA box and not in the stage box I'd say range equipment failure and want the stage changed.

But, of course, who cares?

#11 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Some IDPA stages have the bright idea to start with the gun in the IDPA box.

If you have to hammer your gun into the box... no bueno... it isn't coming out fast.

My Lim Pro has had three different experiences in three different boxes:

• One:  Just jiggle it and it will go in (wood box)
  • Two:  Ah.. push it in  (wood)
  • Three:  No go  (some kind of hard plastic)

There needs to be an "official box" that is manufactured consistently by a single source that is the only one valid for competition, or, there needs to be an official ruling on this gun.  I'd expect neither to take place any time soon.

Lets be honest, Tanfo manufacturing is not the most consistent thing on earth, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see two different straight-off-the-line guns have a different experience in the same box.  Then some people's guns develop more natural wear than others.

Depending on what safeties you use, you might have to look at the width also.

If I was highly committed to shooting IDPA long term with a Lim Pro, I'd just cut down a few mm off the beavertail, and safety if neccessary, and roll in ESP.

#12 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

Making you fit your gun in a box is beyond stupid, it was bad enough when IDPA started it now......do I have to say it? FUCK dumbass rules

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#13 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

Some IDPA stages have the bright idea to start with the gun in the IDPA box.

If you have to hammer your gun into the box... no bueno... it isn't coming out fast.

My Lim Pro has had three different experiences in three different boxes:

• One:  Just jiggle it and it will go in (wood box)
  • Two:  Ah.. push it in  (wood)
  • Three:  No go  (some kind of hard plastic)

There needs to be an "official box" that is manufactured consistently by a single source that is the only one valid for competition, or, there needs to be an official ruling on this gun.  I'd expect neither to take place any time soon.

Lets be honest, Tanfo manufacturing is not the most consistent thing on earth, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see two different straight-off-the-line guns have a different experience in the same box.  Then some people's guns develop more natural wear than others.

Depending on what safeties you use, you might have to look at the width also.

If I was highly committed to shooting IDPA long term with a Lim Pro, I'd just cut down a few mm off the beavertail, and safety if neccessary, and roll in ESP.

There is a box available on the IDPA pro shop. It's made out of lexicon or something like that. No club around here has it.

And given that internal mods are ok for SSP just use a mill to shave those ounces off. Just make sure you take enough off to cover difference in scales.

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

#14 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

The weight isn't the problem, it is the OAL. The tanfo beavertail is extra long.

#15 SteveC5ws6

SteveC5ws6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Write "Wilson combat" on the side and it's guaranteed to be legal.

LMAO, you forgot paint part of it green.... i would do something like that.

I shot a Witness Match Stock... had to colapse the rear sight to get it in the box. it was 40.5 ounces. they had to recalibrate their scale to get it to pass. ... aaah the good old days when they could DQ taran butler after he left the match while they were drinking bitching about him.

#16 Chuck s

Chuck s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

I have 3 lim pros and a stock 3 and all fit in an idpa box. The stock 3 is of course not legal because of weight. The lim pros with wooden grips or in my case, lightened EG aluminum grips make weight . Nick is correct though, all of these guns have different beavertail profiles, not just length, but thickness also. I have had no issues getting one put of the box quickly when a scenario call for it.

#17 jwo483

jwo483

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

Book seems to indicate you can't EXTEND the beavertail, says nothing about shortening it.......

#18 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

Honest questions: unless you're (maybe) talking national level competitors is there really enough difference between ESP and SSP for it to matter?

I've shot up to IDPA regionals and noticed no real difference between the divisions except CDP and REV. Whenever I see an ESP competitor I feel like I'm at zero gear disadvantage shooting my SSP stuff.

Just curious.

#19 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

The difference is in ESP you have a chance to get DM title while in SSP as long as Vogel is shooting you will never be DM  :)

#20 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Serious question - what is the best way to shave off few mm off the Limited Pro beaver tail?  Dremel sanding tool, or cutting wheel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users