#22 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Scotch. Helps you get through the hard chrome finish faster.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#23 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

I have 3 lim pros and a stock 3 and all fit in an idpa box. The stock 3 is of course not legal because of weight. The lim pros with wooden grips or in my case, lightened EG aluminum grips make weight . Nick is correct though, all of these guns have different beavertail profiles, not just length, but thickness also. I have had no issues getting one put of the box quickly when a scenario call for it.

I measured my Limited Pro and it's exactly 22.22mm long - the limit is 22.225mm or 22.23mm depending who did the 8.75 inch conversion.  The question is, will this fit the "new plastic" IDPA box... I have been hearing these boxes are made smaller or more rigid than wood. 

Chuck, have you had yours fit into one of those "new plastic" boxes yet?

#24 Chuck s

Chuck s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have not had it placed in any "new box", however, I have used it in 6-7 sanctioned IDPA matches, including nationals and it has never failed, including a plastic box at the Carolina cup a couple of years ago. Nick is correct though, shave it a bit with a grinder and go ESP. If you do that you can also add a factory mag well if you stick with very light grips or have a smith lighten it internally.
The difference in ESP and SSP is negligible at most.
  • MilkMyDuds likes this

#25 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:56 AM

Mine did not fit the plastic box at Carolina Cup, and had to be stuffed in their wood box to pass.

If you post a picture of your beavertail we can probably guess whether it will pass.  Mine is the longer style.

#26 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

Also, remember that the STOCK lim pro safeties are WAY over the width limit (true in Production too I believe).  Stock Stock 2 safeties are really really really close, again, box dependent.  You have to grind or go to a single sided safety to be absolutely sure.

#27 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Nick, I bought the single sided safety from Eric's store.  The width should be no problem. 

Here is the pic of my Limited Pro.  I put the Stock 2 up there for reference.  I measured both and they seem to have identical beavertail length. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  both.jpg   379.03KB   18 downloads

#28 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Both are the new frame with shorter, fatter, and uglier beavertail.
  • ny32182 likes this

#29 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

LMAO, you forgot paint part of it green.... i would do something like that.

I shot a Witness Match Stock... had to colapse the rear sight to get it in the box. it was 40.5 ounces. they had to recalibrate their scale to get it to pass. ... aaah the good old days when they could DQ taran butler after he left the match while they were drinking bitching about him.

That there be a good, long memory.....

#30 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

ny32182 and Twinkie, when you play IDPA do you shoot SSP?  If so, are you allowed to use EGD grips, SSI scale or Henning in SSP?

Mine weighs just 42.7oz with empty mag (plastic basepad) and SSI scale.  I just don't know if the SSI scale is legal for SSP. 

#31 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

ny32182 and Twinkie, when you play IDPA do you shoot SSP?  If so, are you allowed to use EGD grips, SSI scale or Henning in SSP?

Mine weighs just 42.7oz with empty mag (plastic basepad) and SSI scale.  I just don't know if the SSI scale is legal for SSP. 

I play with my Stock II in NFC. Actually, I don't because bullets-out is illegal. 

If I wanted to play IDPA and I wanted to shoot something other than my 9mm 1911, I'd use my LimPro and shoot SSP. I'd not tell them jack about the mods or anything. It would both too complicated and too much trouble. 

If you have to ask about something being legal in IDPA then it isn't. Unless it is. Honestly IDK. 

I would just brave it out and if you get DQ'd then at least you did it in IDPA and not USPSA. Sorry if this is unhelpful. IDPA isn't my favorite game and I've been on the wrong end of local rules Nazis too many times to trust in any fair or reasonable ruling. 

Shoot a 9mm 1911 in ESP and be done with it. It's the perfect gun for IDPA and as long as you keep the safeties functional you can do just about anything you want. 

• MilkMyDuds likes this

#32 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

I would just brave it out and if you get DQ'd then at least you did it in IDPA and not USPSA

Word.  :rolleyes:

#33 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

It is legal to change the grip panels in SSP, as long as the gun still makes weight.  In my experience, you have VERY little headroom to add weight to a Lim Pro and stay legal.  I don't know if the Scales add weight vs. the stock panels.  I have a buddy that had to drill some slots in his Eric grips to stay legal.

If you are confident that your gun is under weight then have at it, but remember that not all boxes and not all scales are the same, and just because your gun is technically legal right at the limit measured by good equipment, it doesn't mean you aren't going to get DQ'd by Joe Blow's wood shop project box at a major somewhere.

This is one of many reasons I stopped travelling to IDPA majors, and why an approved gun list may be imperfect but is still better than a box and a prayer.  Some matches also have "gun in the box" starts, and even if you can fit legally, getting the gun OUT of the box really fast if it has <1mm of clearance is not going to happen quickly.

We still have "the box" in USPSA, but at least the gun I shoot in it now is not close to the limit so I don't have to worry about it.

I think I've said this before, but, if I were highly committed to shooting IDPA these days I'd do one of two things:

-Shave off enough beavertail to be abosolutely, 100% legal by far in every box and roll in ESP

-Or I would strongly consider shooting a Cajun P09 or other CZ in SSP.

#34 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

It is legal to change the grip panels in SSP, as long as the gun still makes weight.  In my experience, you have VERY little headroom to add weight to a Lim Pro and stay legal.  I don't know if the Scales add weight vs. the stock panels.  I have a buddy that had to drill some slots in his Eric grips to stay legal.

If you are confident that your gun is under weight then have at it, but remember that not all boxes and not all scales are the same, and just because your gun is technically legal right at the limit measured by good equipment, it doesn't mean you aren't going to get DQ'd by Joe Blow's wood shop project box at a major somewhere.

This is one of many reasons I stopped travelling to IDPA majors, and why an approved gun list may be imperfect but is still better than a box and a prayer.  Some matches also have "gun in the box" starts, and even if you can fit legally, getting the gun OUT of the box really fast if it has <1mm of clearance is not going to happen quickly.

We still have "the box" in USPSA, but at least the gun I shoot in it now is not close to the limit so I don't have to worry about it.

I think I've said this before, but, if I were highly committed to shooting IDPA these days I'd do one of two things:

-Shave off enough beavertail to be abosolutely, 100% legal by far in every box and roll in ESP

-Or I would strongly consider shooting a Cajun P09 or other CZ in SSP.

Nick, thanks much for all the info.  The scale grips are lighter than Xtreme, and with them and stock magazine mine weighs 42.88 oz, on my own scale :)  Definitely too close.  Not worth the risk.

Even though I just shot the Tanfo platform for a bit over 1 week, I found the Stock 2 is much more nose heavy than the Limited Pro.  I am curious if you guys find it's hard to adjust to Limited Pro if you are so used shooting Stock 2?   To me, even they have identical grips, they seem to be 2 different platforms.   Ditching IDPA is not feasible right now, with its popularity and many close by matches in my area, while USPSA matches far and few.

#35 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, they balance different fondling them, but as soon as the buzzer goes off I don't really notice a difference.

#36 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

They have the same grip. No big difference. 

#37 MilkMyDuds

MilkMyDuds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

It must just be me... I found Limited Pro easier shooting slightly faster splits (on hosing targets) with faster transition.  These can be measured on the timer when I shoot them side by side on the same drills.   Even on the 5-yard dot drills I could complete at least 5 dots avg 4.8 sec using Limited Pro vs. usually 3-4 dots avg 5.1 sec using Stock 2.  I just cannot pin point what is causing the differences, for me.  Maybe the 5 inch barrel makes its pointing more natural for people like me who switched from 5 inch plastic guns, but Nick did not notice that   :unsure:  

#38 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

I mean... "theoretically", you have the following:

Stock 2:  Should cycle and split faster due to heavier overall weight, definitely heavier at the muzzle, bull barrel is non-reciprocating mass..... so the total weight is more, and the reciprocating weight is less.  "should" track faster, split faster.

Lim Pro: Lighter overall weight, and again, the difference is all right at the muzzle... "should" be able to draw/transition faster.  Lim pro has 1/4" more sight radius... Ok.

In practice I think the differences are extremely minimal.

#39 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

The difference is in ESP you have a chance to get DM title while in SSP as long as Vogel is shooting you will never be DM  :)

This is a pretty long thread for the take-away to be that you still get beat by a Glock.  

bdfd6f51678d0f19bb3ff7ef6cd1e92c.jpg

• Sweet T likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users