#542 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

There is worse brass, believe me. Example: A load of Aguila I have been seeing lately. When a 1050 with a U-die (or a fullength resizing die) routinely can't make an lubed empty case pass a case gauge because the brass is collapsing and bulging the brass sucks.

For the small quantities you are doing, ad tight economic situation you are in, it might make sense to break down and sort out offending headstamps. Pour cases into a 100 round box of the next size up while shaking, fix upside down cases, flip and inspect.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#543 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

S&b works perfectly fine for

9minor

40 major

45 major/minor

but hey, I run ten fiddys. 

Key word: 1050. Primer pocket swaging would help with the S&B and occasionally (but often enough to be annoying) Winchester brass with tight pockets. Also not having to push stupid hard on them is nice.

There is worse brass, believe me. Example: A load of Aguila I have been seeing lately. When a 1050 with a U-die routinely can't make an lubed empty case pass a case gauge because the brass is collapsing and bulgign the brass sucks.

For the small quantities you are doing, ad tight economic situation you are in, it might make sense to break down and sort out offending headstamps. Pour cases into a 100 round box of the next size up while shaking, fix upside down cases, flip and inspect.

It's mainly due to the fact that S&B and Win ammo is pretty popular so there's a lot of it in the once fired brass I end up with. I haven't sorted out Win from my good brass pile yet, but I'll be doing so from this point on.

I have not seen any Aguila's in any once fired brass piles I've either been given or bought so..

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#544 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

Win brass is more than just tight. I believe Winchester may be crimping 9mm primers now.

If you cannot afford a 1050 then you should invest the cash in a Dillon super swage.

#545 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Use softer primers and it will suck less. In my experience Winchester are the worst. CCI are good. Federal and S&B slide right in even tight pockets.

Win brass is more than just tight. I believe Winchester may be crimping 9mm primers now. If you cannot afford a 1050 then you should invest the cash in a Dillon super swage.
Not all but definitely some.

#546 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Win brass is more than just tight. I believe Winchester may be crimping 9mm primers now.

If you cannot afford a 1050 then you should invest the cash in a Dillon super swage.

That last batch of Win brass I got from you was great.  It's maybe been a couple years, has it changed?  I definitely like it better than the PMC.

#547 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

That last batch of Win brass I got from you was great. It's maybe been a couple years, has it changed? I definitely like it better than the PMC.

The way it is now, most win brass goes through fine, primers go in just like F C, Blazer, R P.

Every now and then I'll get one that's as tight as the S&B and will only seat to flush or just below flush with the bottom of the case. It also takes a similar amount of effort as S&B to seat it.

I can put as much force as it takes for the case to fly out of the shell plate and it won't seat any deeper.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#548 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

That last batch of Win brass I got from you was great. It's maybe been a couple years, has it changed? I definitely like it better than the PMC.

This is a recent change from what I can tell. I had not seen this before this year.
  • peterthefish likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Noob, 550, 650, Reloading Press

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users