441 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

Building from my introduction post, I’ve been training since Nov. 2014 using MFCEO’s program. So that means:

A.     I’ve been dry firing roughly for 20 to 40 mins 3 to 4 days a week. (I’d do more but work travel schedule only leaves 4 days for a gun in my hand).

B.     I live fire once a week anywhere from 150 to 350 rounds. (that is until last month when I had a case head separate and had to send my Edge to the gun smith; is it me are all of these gun smiths freckin slow as hell)

So my goal for this year is to shoot 50% alphas in my matches, drop 1 to 1.5 seconds off my live fire benchmarks, and compete in at least 5 to 10 matches in 2015. Since I’m new, and I don’t know what I need to know yet, I may revisit these goals but I think this is a decent start.

What will be most interesting is to see how I progress from an unrated shooter to where ever I end up using MFCEO’s program and some coaching from a GM at my range (yes another nut hugger)

So here’s my first diary post (note – they will not be this long in the future as I’ll only have 1 or 2 posts per week)

3/21 – 150 rounds of live fire

Goals – set benchmark times for some marksman drills: Blake Drill (used the wide setup at 6’ between targets), the Bill Drill, and Heads Drill. All distances are at 10 yards.

Conditions – 68 degrees and partly cloudy

Special Notes: Fist time shooting my new primary competition gun, STI Apeiro in 40 S&W.

Blake Drill – 30 shots fired, average time going full out roughly 3.6 seconds. Break down of hits: 12 alpha, 10 delta, 8 charlie – no mikes. My draw averaged roughly 1.4 seconds. For shits and giggles I decided to run the drill again using a front sight focus for 18 rounds and averaged 5.1 seconds with 13 alpha, 4 charlie, 1 delta – no mikes. My draw averaged roughly 1.85.

What went well = I liked that I had no mikes, my accuracy improved as I slowed down, and I had some fun as this was the first time shooting in a month AND shooting a new gun.

What I need to fix = I fucked up and didn’t track splits and transitions for the speed round, but for the front sight round my splits and transitions were the same ranging from .4 to .5 on average, I feel like I should be gripping harder with my left hand to manage recoil.

Bill Drill – 18 shots fired, average time only using full out speed (no room for pussyfooting around here) 3.49 seconds. Break down of hits 4 alpha, 13 charlie, 1 delta with an average draw of 1.58. (no mikes again) Splits ranged from .3 to .4

What went well = happy with no mikes

What I need to fix = had a few FTFs as the barrel is super tight and I was using factory Federal and Winchester ammo; unlike my Edge, looks like I'll need undersized reloads, grip needs work, was a bit tense as I was trying to jam, sight tracking needs improvement as I could not call a shot to save my life.

Heads Drill – 6 shots fired, time with front sight focus 6.57 seconds. Break down of hits 1 alpha, 1 bravo, 3 charlie, 1 delta with a draw of 2.01 and splits of .8 to .9.

Overall summary – despite getting more than a few FTFs, it was great to be out shooting again. However, I have much work to do on my grip, recoil control, and sight tracking.

• Twinkie, Stubb, GuanoLoco and 1 other like this

#2 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

Good job, keep posting. It irritates Reacharound, which is a bonus.
  • Stranger Danger likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#3 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

LOL - thanks!

#4 Larry Costa

Larry Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

That's pretty cool...

And something to think about on your Blake Drill.  When you describe using the sighs; from what I gather with what you provided, your hit factor is %20 higher.  So the speed you think you gain getting bad hits isn't paying off.  Get good hits.

• dravz likes this

Because of who I am dawg = EABOD

#5 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

That's pretty cool...

And something to think about on your Blake Drill.  When you describe using the sighs; from what I gather with what you provided, your hit factor is %20 higher.  So the speed you think you gain getting bad hits isn't paying off.  Get good hits.

That is some solid coaching Sir - thank you!!

3/22 Dry fire – 40 mins

Since I’m lazy by nature, I try to get as much out of my session as possible so I’ll merge two drills into a mini-stage. So as I thought about this month I wanted to improve the following:

A. sight alignment

B. grip and grip strength

C. transitions

D. draw

E. reloads

To do this, I merged the Blake drill with the Hopkins drill.

So I have 3 USPSA targets shrunk to simulate 20 yards (they also have hard cover with only the centerline of the target the width of the head box to the bottom) and simulated an 8 inch steel plate at 20 yards configured in the Hopkins format. So the procedure involves drawing and shooting the 3 targets on the left (2 shots for each target), reload while dropping the mag into a small 3 by 2 box, step to my right and transition 90 degrees to engage plates 2,6,3,1 within 7.5 seconds (14 shots total).

So I only beat the par time twice in 40 mins a using a front sight focus. I tried to use the full out pace but the sight pictures were pretty shitty. My draw averaged about 1.7 to 1.9, and I was hitting the reload roughly 4.9 to 5.1 seconds, and I usually finished around 7.8 seconds (scores were the same regardless of starting on the Blake side or the Hopkins side).

Overall I felt I made some progress with snapping my eyes and hitting my reloads; however, I need to do better gripping with my weak hand, getting a faster draw, and keeping clean sight pictures.

I’ll check in later in the week with some chrono data for my 40 major load.

Bye for now,

Will

#6 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

3/29/15 – Week summary

Busy week and lots of stuff learned; down side is work travel only allowed for 4 days dry fire and 1 limited day of live fire.

The limited day of live fire was caused by something I hate to do - reloading. Every time I reload it feels like I’m paying a shooting tax; if I had f - u money, I'd take this dillion and run it over a few times with my buddies front loader. I take extra time to bash the crap out of the crappy 550 powder system - I  think I can shoot more accurate charges out of my ass. I started working my load from 4.0 grains all the way up to 4.5 grains (made 10 rounds of each). The only load that was close to my 945fps target was 4.5 grains, here’s the chrono data it:

Temp 50 degrees and sunny

COAL = 1.19

Crimp = none

Bullet = Hornaday xtp 180 grain hollow point

Powder = Titegroup

Lee undersized die used

Lowest shot = 908 fps

Highest shot = 924

Standard d. = 16

My new load = 4.7 grains should get me above 945

I’m still breaking in my Apeiro, and I noticed the rifling extends all the way to the chamber, so when I checked the spent brass I noticed I had rifling marks all the way around the diameter of the case. The marks aren’t too deep, but I’m sure they will cut the number of times I can reuse the brass.

For shits and giggle, I compared my loads to some Atlanta Arms Ammo and here’s what I chrono’ed:

COAL – 1.12

Crimp – hard so that it left a good indentation all the way around the bullet

Low shot = 995

High shot = 1020

Standard d. = 10

I like the lower standard deviation of the Atlanta ammo, and when I compared it to my other shots I noticed the titegroup standard deviation was all over the map from 5 to 23 on the other strings. That’s too much variation for me and once this stuff is gone I’ll move to unique or something that is a bit more stable.

For the first 20 shots of the chrono session, I set 29 x 25 target with an index card stapled to the center at 50 yards to see if I could hit it; about half of my shots hit the target with one striking just 2 inches shy of the index card, which is pretty shitty. The other 30 I just practiced strong hand and weak hand shots to improve recoil control.

I’m getting better at my training array for this month (see post dated 3/22) and I can tie the par time about 20% of the time without the reload, and 5% of the time with the reload.

I’ll check back in the middle of next week as I have some good stuff planned next week,

Will

#7 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Not trying to be a dick, but any dry fire draw slower than 1.15 is stupid!

Man the fuck up.

On a 5-7 yard open target in live fire I'm pissed if im not under 1.10. Under 1.0 is good. Under 0.90 is fast!

Dude, dry firing, you need to set your Par time at .090 and start practicing

#8 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks man! I'll get to work. Pulling out the tampex should get me .2 at least!

Seriously, I'll try testing my draw speed on a full sized target at 5 and 7 yards and report back as I have not tried that yet.

Thanks,

Will

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Baseline your par time. Warmup a set .2 slower, .1 slower, @ par, .1 faster, maybe .2 faster.

Track your evolving par time day to day. Work hard, take a break, work hard again.

You'll be pleasantly surprised if you stick with it.
  • LeadChucker likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#10 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

3/30 – Dry fire

Tried the drill recommended by LeadChucker and GuanoLoco (draw to a standard USPSA target @ 5 yards). Did this drill for about 35 mins and here’s a summary of my learning as they relate to this months goals:

A. sight alignment = My starting front sight focus pace was about 1.58 with a good sight picture. Then I cranked down the par time and my best time was .97 with virtually no sight picture and a crappy grip. After alternating between full out speed and match pace for 30 mins, I drove down my front sight pace to 1.35 on average; my average full out pace was about 1.2.

B. grip and grip strength = this drill is a great test of grip consistency, when going fast my grip went to shit, but the front sight pace stuff was solid 85% of the time

C. transitions = not tested in this drill

D. draw = my thoughts on the draw are in the sight alignment

E. reloads = not tested today, but I can many 4 aces drill in my future!

Excellent drill and I’ll try it again later to night to see if the gains stuck. Pretty jazzed as tomorrow I’ll meet with the GM that owns the range and I’m doing a two hour evaluation session with him.

Will

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

You can't cheat your grip, it will never pay.  Force yourself to get a really solid and consistent grip with your strong hand AND with your weak hand for recoil control.  Watch the Vogel video.

You will need to learn to draw to a "visual index" regardless of range and distance.  Put a very small yet distinct spot in the center of your draw-to target(s) and train yourself to draw and just have the the sights appear on your visual index.  I can now do this faster than my eyes can focus and confirm that the front sight is on the index.

As you get a handle on this, do it facing downrange with wrists as sides and wrists above shoulders.  Then repeat both facing uprange.  Don't forget SHO and transition to WHO.  And also, learn to do it while stepping in to a position.  Other than classifier stages, I can't remember the last time I started a USPSA stage inside the shooting area where I had a chance to draw to a visual index without moving.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#12 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

As Guano stated, start @+.2 and work your way down to -.2

Grip is everything, I find that a bad grip with good sight alignment still sux.

#13 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the coaching!!

I'll keep at it!

#14 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the coaching!!

I'll keep at it!

You do realize that the guys coaching you suck at shooting?

#15 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

You do realize that the guys coaching you suck at shooting?

I resemble that comment

#16 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

I was about to post that in my case you are getting the best B-Class advice your money didn't buy! 

LC's at least A-Class IIRC, but I don't see any GM's or even M's taking the time to help poor Will.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#17 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

I was about to post that in my case you are getting the best B-Class advice your money didn't buy! 

LC's at least A-Class IIRC, but I don't see any GM's or even M's taking the time to help poor Will.

I'm officially B Class :)

That being said, I'd honestly say it's sandbagging. So yes I'm giving A Class advice

#18 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

B-class shooters can give plenty of advice to noobs.

#19 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

B-class shooters can give plenty of advice to noobs.

I agree.  Leadchucker and uber  should be commended.

Leadchucker promised to take me Tarpon fishing so I'm trying to be nice to him.

#20 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

I agree. Leadchucker and uber should be commended.

Leadchucker promised to take me Tarpon fishing so I'm trying to be nice to him.

Don't bother :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users