484 replies to this topic

#21 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

LOL - it's the Doodie project and noobs get screwed with - I read the sign before I came in.

I posted my journal here because if I was doing something stupid you'd tell me; the glad handing I'd get on the B. Anus love fest forum wasn't for me and the series of sham-wow drills they teach on pistol forum that magically transform you into a 20 gun grandmaster wasn't for me either (i've been a member of both for a few years).

Hell I'm unrated, so that makes even a D shooter better than me…

My first match is on April 18 so I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Will

#22 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

LOL - it's the Doodie project and noobs get screwed with - I read the sign before I came in. ...

It's the Doodie project and noobs get hazed but EVERYONE gets screwed with.

Edit: Except maybe Kita. Don't F with Kita.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#23 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

I'm pretty sure Kita doesn't hang in the Doodie :)

#24 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

3/31 – Live fire 200 rounds

Great session with the GM! In a nutshell we worked on 3 things but covered a ton more than I’ll outline here:

a. using more of a target focus than a front sight focus. I’ve read about this in MFCEO’s book but didn’t fully understand it until this guy showed me how to do it. The exercise was simple: focus your eyes where you want the shot to go, you are aware of the sights but they are blurry, press the trigger back evenly. I shot well over 150 shots with target focus and my grouping was much tighter than the front sight focus I was using before. Which leads to the second topic:

b. trigger press with the tip of my index finger rather than the screwed shit I was doing with pulling quickly with the first joint of the  index finger. We did a drill where I aimed the pistol and he pressed the trigger to determine if I was screwing up the trigger press and low and behold – the shots went where I pointed the pistol while he was pressing the trigger. Which leads to the third exercise:

c. improving my grip from a friggin strangle hold like I’m choking some a-hole that shot my dog to a firm grip where I’m not shaking from overstraining my muscles to hold the pistol. He grabbed his pistol and with his strong hand and used his pinky to control the recoil while taking 5 shots. Low and behold, 3 of the 5 shots made one big hole and the other 2 were less than a 1/16th of an inch from the big hole. He did this 3 more time just to show me it wasn’t a fluke; each time his groups got tighter.

It was a great session and we worked at 7 yards with 95% of my shots in the alpha on the chest or the head - which was a good success in my eyes. Only one shot out of the 200 hit just before the perforation on the no shoot so technically I did not hit it, but I counted it as a hit (i was using a 3 target array: partially covered left target, no shoot in the center, partially covered target on the right). We started to talk about transitions and other stuff but I had to jam back to the office. I’ll be applying these concepts to the drills I’m using in MFCEO’s books.

Thanks!

Will

#25 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

April 2 through 5, Dry fire & live fire summary

Dry fire - 1 hour total time

My fundamentals were shit and produced mixed results. To be more consistent, I've changed my: grip, trigger pull, and my reload style.

The strong hand is now squeezing mostly with the pinky and ring finger as opposed to choking the f@ck out of the pistol which caused shots to fly everywhere. My old weak hand style relied on a thumb rest which caused my shots to go low; now, the weak hand is canted as forward as possible and I wrap my thumb around the trigger guard ( I have big hands and can easily palm a basketball ). The tip of my trigger finger is used to press the trigger rather than the old way of using the 1st joint of the index finger to mash the trigger through the back of the pistol. Finally I'm using my weak hand to drive the gun towards the target. Now When I draw, my weak hand is now above my left pectoral muscle about one hands width from my chest vs the old way of slapping my belly then grabbing the pistol (have no clue why I did this - cocaine is a hell of a drug).

Live fire - 600 rounds total down range

As if the changes I mentioned above were not enough, I'm learning to shoot with a target focus; so all of these sessions were shot using this style.

The first session of 200 rounds was used to burn the changes I mentioned in dry fire. The next session of 200 was used practice the changes while shooting an untimed mini stage of 5 targets with 10 rounds (I worked with the GM on this one). The stage was positioned in a shoot house and the first target was 7 yards out and I had to engage through 8 inch wide by 36 inch long window (I shot 30% a's, 60% b's, and rest d's) then I had to run around a corner and engage a target on the left at 7 yards in the head box (10% a's, 70% b's, rest mikes), then quickly engage the target 90 degrees on the right freestyle (all shots were on body with 90% a's, and rest b's), and finally I had to run down a short hall and engage a covered target on the left with 50% no shoot covering the target at 4 yards (95% a's, and rest b's); almost every target required a hard lean. This was the first time I've moved while shooting and it was fun. But the hardest thing was adjusting to targets that were not in my vision as all were around corners or just behind a wall. If this was a timed event I would have lost a ton of time adjusting to get a good position; so we spent lots of time talking about entry and exit.

150 were shot using a bastardized mini stage from MFCEO's program (I'm solo on this one); starting box is 4 yards behind the point of engagement, draw and run 5 steps and step to left of vision barrier barrel and engage head box of target at 7 yards (88% b's, 5% a's, rest mikes), clear the vision barrier barrel again with 2 or 4 steps and engage a target at 15 yards (50% a's, 45% b's, equal split of c's and mikes), and engage a 10 inch steel plate at 8 yards (85% hits); I could shoot it clean in about 11.2 sec on average with my best clean run at 9.89 while my first cold run was 12.1.

With the final 50, I practiced shooting head boxes at 20 yards to rid myself of this bad flinch while trying to improving trigger control and accuracy (untimed - roughly 50% hits). This is a very tough drill for me as I'm cross eye dominant (left eye and right handed). Most shots were low and left so I drifted my rear sight to the left 3 clicks and the shots moved a bit more towards the center.

Next report will be in a few days after I do a shit load of dry fire to get these changes baked in.

Will

#26 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Good stuff.

Are you adjusting your sights to POI = POA or are you using them to compensate for poor trigger control or sight picture?

In Doodie, Veritas.

#27 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hopefully I'm answering your question correctly, I believe I'm adjusting for my aim rather than poor trigger control.

I came to this conclusion because my shots go exactly where I aim about 20% of the time and the rest of the time my shots are left and slightly lower than point of aim; so I'm adjusting for the 75%. The drifting of the sight is an experiment to see if my shots move more to the right, but I'm still expecting the shots to be low until this flinch is reduced.

Does that make sense?

Will

#28 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

I think you need to put your gun on a sandbag, pick a distance, say 18 yards (grin) and with a careful trigger pull and everything the same, adjust Point of Impact to match Point of Aim.

Then see if your POI is something other than your POA in practice....which would indicate an execution issue that you would not want to correct by adjusting the sights.
  • GuruOfGuns and ZachJ like this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#29 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

I think you need to put your gun on a sandbag, pick a distance, say 18 yards (grin) and with a carful trigger pull and everythign the same, adjust Point of Impact to match Point of Aim.

Then see if your POI is something other than your POA in practice....which would indicate an execution issue that you would not want to correct by adjusting the sights.

This. In all the reading up I did to try and get good at shooting, the one thing I figured out was that you do not adjust your sights for incorrect technique.

I rested my gun and shot @ 25yds. 8/10 hits made a 3" group about 1.5"-2" high and right from POA. Then I shot another target @ 25yds and most shots were in the same area of the POI. There's a certain confidence in knowing where my shots are going to go as long as I get the proper sight picture and a good trigger pull. But watch out, you lose the excuse of "my sights are off".

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#30 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

This. In all the reading up I did to try and get good at shooting, the one thing I figured out was that you do not adjust your sights for incorrect technique.

I rested my gun and shot @ 25yds. 8/10 hits made a 3" group about 1.5"-2" high and right from POA. Then I shot another target @ 25yds and most shots were in the same area of the POI. There's a certain confidence in knowing where my shots are going to go as long as I get the proper sight picture and a good trigger pull. But watch out, you lose the excuse of "my sights are off".

I'll give this a try and report back on Sunday.

Good dry fire session tonight; 30 mins untimed with a focus on smooth draw to a simulated 20 yard covered target. Also did el prez, and Hopkins drill. Tomorrow I'll break out the timer to see how I'm progressing - should be interesting given all the change I've implemented.

Will

#31 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

Summary April 5 through April 12

Live fire 500 rounds down range total across two sessions

My range sessions have been focused on building my precision and accuracy while shooting mini stages. When I stand stationary, I'm hitting the alpha 65 to 70% of the time at 10 yards. However, when I have to move things go to shit quickly and I'm hitting the alpha 20% of the time at 10 yards.

When I'm pressing the trigger with my eyes, using the tip of my index finger on the trigger, and squeezing the grip with my finger tips, I get good results. But When I have to move, this chain is broken and reacquiring the same elements consistently is hard because I don't have enough experience.

The guy I've been working with set up a simple mini stage at 13 yards: 3 targets spaced 6 yards apart in a straight line, two shots a piece seems simple enough right? But it was more challenging than that as 75% of the target on the right was obscured with steel plates blocking and no shoots; course of fire required me to shoot this on head on. The center target was wide open but I had to move to shoot it, and the left target was flanked by large steel plates on each side with one blocking the left target shoulder to the neck line and the other was just off the right side of the target (I had to move to shoot that one too). The good news was I only shot 10 mikes out of 150; but I was scoring mostly charlie and delta from the start. Once I focused on pressing with my eyes, trigger correctly, finger tip squeeze on grip I dropped 70% of the deltas and upped my Charlie and alpha scores. The first cold run was my fastest but worse scored at 10.2, once I applied the correct technique the best score was five alpha and one Charlie at 11.6.

Although I had some precise groups, this drill really challenged my accuracy. If I'm gonna achieve my goal of hitting 50% alphas under match pressure I better shore this skill gap.

Finally, I checked my zero at 25 yards like some one mentioned and the sights were solid and I shot a few 1.5 inch groups.

Will
  • GuanoLoco and ZachJ like this

#32 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

I had a chance to re-tune the my sights from pasters at 5 yards to 25 yards. Ended up bringing POI up about 3 clicks whihc definitely helped with longer shots. I could still blast pasters at 5 yards.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#33 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

So, my sights being off horizontally by 2" right.. I'm guessing I give the rear increasingly hard taps (steel punch + hammer) to the left until it moves a small amount?

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#34 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Tried to post earlier but don't see it.

Move rear sight in the direction of the desired change of POI. Look it up or figure it out with 'finger sights' if you forget.

Mark current rear sight position with a sharpie or whatever before you try to move it.
  • ZachJ likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#35 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

April 13 through 15 - dry fire total time roughly 40 mins

Traveling for work sucks donkey dongs because I don't want to deal with the headache of bring my gun with me.

For this trip, I tried something different - I brought a spare pistol grip with me as I want to improve my grip. When I declared it, the agent had a puzzled look on his face and phoned a friend in the TSA booth to see if I need the red sticker and the other crap (locked up in hard case blah blah). Magic TSA guy told him no special handling required, just toss it in the bag and check my luggage.

Viola!! Fast forward a few hours and I'm in the hotel going nuts practicing grabs of the table, squeezing the grip, low ready, some aiming drills. I also brought some simulated uspsa paper targets and set up a mini course from MFCEO book of wisdom and I'm rocking.

Throughout the session I really focused on my grip, squeezing it correctly, simulate a reload and reacquire a solid grip.

Good session thus far!

Will

#36 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

4/16 – 4/19 Live fire 500 rounds

Since I started this diary I’ve fired roughly 2000 rounds and I feel like I’m improving and getting my shit together a bit; but I know there is more work ahead.

The reason why I feel more confident is because I can diagnose to a degree what’s happening with my shots.

When I look over the gun, I’m not firing with my eyes. Firing with my eyes means my vision is focused on a spot on the target, then I can see a blurry red fiber dot obscure the point on the target I’m aimed at and I fire the shot: getting it right results in seeing the holes appear in the target as I fire the shot. When my grip is weak my shots are wider apart and I’m not getting the fist-sized cluster or follow-up shots about 1 to 1.5 inches from the first shot. And when a shot is low I’m anticipating recoil and trying to compensate. Virtually all of my low and to the left shots are gone and my yips seldom happen anymore.

I started seeing these changes over the past two sessions where I did a simplified version of MFCEO’s criss cross drill: wide set-up of two targets 3 yards apart and a narrow with two targets one yard apart.

The wide set-up was the easiest with the firing order being two to the alpha on the right, then two to the head on the target on the left, then two straight down to the alpha on the left, and finish with two to the head on the right. Out of a 200 rounds, 95% were in the alpha and the ones that missed were in Charlie. None of my shots were low and left like before, and the misses were primarily caused by looking over the gun and the occasional yip low. (note – distance was at 7 yards)

Oddly enough, I thought the narrow set-up would be the easiest but I was wrong. Using the same firing order, I moved back to 10 yards are fired the next string of 200 and scored 80% alpha and the remainder Charlie. The primary cause of the lower score was not snapping my eyes to the center of the alpha, looking over the gun, and a weak grip.

The last few rounds were fired at 20 yards trying to hit the head box only; my results are pretty grim with 5% hits.

I’ll keep working this drill and the head shot drill over the next week.

Will

#37 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

Are you working accuracy, or accuracy and time?

In Doodie, Veritas.

#38 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Accuracy first with some focus on time. Oddly enough, when I get accurate hits I get decent times.

I figure once I build confidence in skills, I can press the times more.

Does that make sense?

#39 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Dot Drill. Dot Drill. Dot Drill.

3, 5, 7 yards. 2, 3, 4, 6+ shots in 5 secs into a 2" circle. Repeat 6 times. Find printable targets on interwebs.

Fundamental drill that combines draw, sight picture, trigger control and recoil management.

Build fundamentals that include some level of speed AND accuracy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#40 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

Awesome I'll try it when I'm at the range on Friday

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users