485 replies to this topic

#61 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

Still waiting on scores, but I just wrapped 15 mins of dry fire trigger control and I've got some time to share my experience.

Yesterday's match showed me I need to work on 3 areas of my shooting:

Strong hand and weak hand
Distance shooting 15 yards and out
Grip strength

The first stage was a 5 target array at 10 yards where 70% of each target was covered with no shoots. Using Vickers count, I had to engage the heads with the weak hand with a single shot, then engage the body with the strong hand with one shot, slide lock reload, then freestyle to the body single shot. I dropped 12 points here but some did much worse - not sure what my time was as this was the very first stage of my first competition so my mind was racing.

The next 5 stages were mostly within 10 yards and involved things like shooting out of a car, shooting on the move and other multi target stages. I did well planning them and cleaned a few, but my grip strength started give out a bit on stages 5, and 6.

The biggest eye opener was in the classifier where my grip strength was really giving out and I dropped 12 on the first stage. I pulled it back together for the second stage and I think I dropped 6 or 8 but I had a low charge and it sounded like a Squibb so I had to go to the berm and check the barrel was clear. The last stage sucked donkey balls as lots of shots were low left because my grip was shot and I had a 1 miss on this array.

So my training plan now incorporates these three items. I'll share my learnings on my trigger control later today as I gotta run.

#62 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Results in = 4th out of 6 shooters in SSP Novice

Place   Name    IDPA ID  Match Score Penalties
PD  NT  PE  FN Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6

4 Metzler, William A926151 218.65 62 1 1 0 35.55(5) 31.97(1) 40.13(3) 28.17(6) 47.21(21) 35.62(26)

21 out of 26 - so that sucks - LOL!

For my first time out, I'll take it. That said, I need to bump up my training regimen...

#63 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

5/25 dry fire 45 mins

25 mins trigger control with carry IDPA gun and STI
Attached laser light sight alignment tool to end of barrel to check trigger presses at 15 yards; looked sloppier than drunk ass David Hasseloff begging for a cheese burger. Tightened up my weak hand, pinched with finger tips on strong hand, and focused on straight back press and it cleaned it up a bit. Shot the target square, leaning around corner from left and right, finished with Hopkins drill to improve press during transitions.

20 mins draws and reloads (same guns)
With USPSA gear, consistently breaking 1.3 on the draw to a 10 yard target, reloads are just about 1.6. When I strap on the IDPA stuff, I'm slower than Forrest Gump at a rap contest. Conceal draws at 1.7, slide lock reloads with retention at 2 seconds - I gotta find a better way to do these.

Throughout the 45 mins I was really focused on a tight grip, I've got some new blisters on strong hand finger tips and my weak hand is stuck in a gripping position like a greenhorn working on a crab fishing boat.

#64 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

5/26 am and pm dry fire

AM trigger control and IDPA draws for 35 mins

Had good session with trigger control at 15 yards; was really experimenting with different grip pressures and watching how pinching with strong hand pulled the sights closer to center, but not perfectly on point. Then squeezing hard with the weak hand pulled the sights right on center, as well as, a few other grip types. Really focused on how these grips impacted the trigger pull. Finished with head shot trigger pulls and got a rude awakening on the type of grip and trigger pull needed to hit heads at this distance. I need a shit load practice to hit these with a high level of consistency given my current skill level.

PM was USPSA draws and transitions for 15 mins - session was ok but I was not as focused as I could be due to lots of bullshit at work and my wife bitching about everything under the sun (poverty, world hunger, fuckin global warming all my fault - gotta love marriage).

#65 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

5/28 AM dry fire = 20 mins

Strong hand and weak hand gun pick-ups, shooting on the move with strong/weak hand, and freestyle. Noticing my arms are more unstable for single gun handling, seems to be more tremors regardless of how hard I grip. Tried doing a few push-ups thinking I'd get some blood flowing and that'd help wake me up but it did not yield improvements.

I'll try again later to see if the same condition is present.

Never easy practicing on the road, thinking I may pick up a srt training pistol as I really want to improve my trigger control without checking a pistol.

#66 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

5/30 AM dry fire = 30 mins

Still training my trigger control and grip on a full sized USPSA target at 15 yards using my carry M&P 9 and my USPSA Apeiro pistol.

Focused on hitting the upper alpha and experimenting with loose strong hand and tight weak hand and visa versa. Learning my index points for my grip on the M&P is the tip of my strong hand middle finger is touching the front of the adjustable back strap. For my Apeiro, the same middle finger is touching the back edge of the STI logo on the grip.

When I hit these points, my sights are usually centered vs. canted off to the left because of my big ass gorilla hands trying to wrap around smaller grips. Also the feel is a pinch with my strong hand finger tips and a crush from the weak hand finger tips to the palm of the weak hand. I've learned my weak hand grip is more important than my strong hand; in fact, I can grip pretty loose with the strong hand so long as I crush with my weak hand. My grip strength still needs improvement as I can only hold the pistol at the necessary tension for about 45 seconds. I have the CoC grips and I'll be working on improving my strength without blowing out a tendon.

While it would be simpler to focus on building skill on one platform, practicing across the two platforms is beneficial for me because I'm learning how to adjust the sights based on different grip dimensions.

Headed out to the range later today for more testing...

#67 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

5/31 AM Dry fire and PM Live Fire

Goals for live fire - improve trigger control, grip strength,  and alignment

Reshot the IDPA classifier with my USPAS gear and shot a 156.85; once I finish editing the video I'll post up.

Stage 1 was 46.92 with 3 points down (30 hits), Stage 2 was 40.16 with 8 points down (30 hits), stage 3 sucked donkeys with 69.77 and 23 points down (29 hits). Assuming I'm reading this right, total score in the ESP division puts me in Sharpshooter (since I'm less than 190 but greater than 138.18 - I could be wrong).

Then I shot the fast drill 4 times and cleaned it the first two times with a 6.42 (draw 1.75, 2.36, 5.41, 5.76, 6.09, 6.42) second time was 6.53 (draw 1.69, 2.23, 5.52, 5.82, 6.15, 6.53). Wrapped the session with lots of strong/weak hand in tight covered targets, you'll see what I'm talking about once I post the video - did pretty good here.

So what did I learn: I'm generally accurate but slow. So I'm going to work on draws, trigger control at distance, and slide lock reloads.

#68 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like a good session. Establish a baseline with repeatable drills. Record it. Determine where you need to put in the work. Do the work. Track and enjoy the incremental improvement.

I can assure you that great improvement is possible if you put in the effort, and the largest returns for the least effort are at the beginning.

What this WON'T do - force you to work on movement drills. I neglected them for too long at the beginning because I was overwhelmed and focused on stand-and-shoot.

Don't forget some other good stand-and-shoot basics - Dot Drill, Bill Drill, Blake Drill, 4 Aces (close to FAST drill).
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#69 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

Awesome and thanks as always!

I'll load those up for the next session.

#70 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

6/1 Dry fire AM & PM - 40 mins total

Got classifier score, novice - 8 seconds away from a Marksman score.

Worked on slide lock reloads with my USPSA gear. Started with a 1.2 second time for a standing reload and missed that, then went for a 1.5 and just missed that, landed up at a 1.65 time on average. I'll start working those down. Also worked on reloading from slide lock while on the move. Practiced 15 yard low ready draws to upper alpha and was hitting about 1.7 ish - too slow.

Draw is now down to 1.2 seconds. Hands hurt, forearms hurt - good progress...

#71 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

6/2 Dry fire 40 mins

Still working trigger control, reloads, and gripping the crap out of the gun with my WO while doing these drills.

Modified whitewall fundamentals using a timer to measure my reaction time, also used my laser mounted alignment tool to see if I was jerking the trigger. Best I could pull off was a .25 reaction time without jerking. (Looks like All those years of sniffing glue killed my reaction time)

Practiced transitions across three targets: two at 30% size and one at 10% size. Was able to shoot each with one shot right at the 1 second mark. (Mostly alpha and charlie hits)

Slide lock reloads still kill me, like 1.7 pars are the bane of my reload existence. Seems my troubles are linked to hitting the release button as I need to shift my grip to hit the button. Tactical reloads are about 1.5 seconds.

#72 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

Avoid slide lock reloads, learn to move during your slow ass reloads and all will be good.

Except on stand-and-shoot Classifiers, but you have time to figure that out.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#73 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

Here's the video of Sunday's practice.

I arrived at the range a few hours after they shot a classifier so I taped the targets and used them for practice. The WH/SH drill was shot at 7 yards and it is a replica of the first stage I shot in my first competition. Lastly, cleaned the fast and video'ed it for posterity, I holed the upper shots; only cleaned it 2 out of the 4 times I tried - not an easy drill.

#74 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

6/3 Dry fire - 15 mins

Bit of a slacker night for me; listened to PPS 46 while doing whitewall fundamentals. Spent about 5 mins really trying to isolate my WH grip by holding the pistol only with the WH and pulling the slide back trying to mimic the slide cycling. Experimented with various grip pressures and how much squeeze is needed to reduce movement.  

#75 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

6/4 PM Dry fire 40 mins

Focus = trigger control, grip, moving reloads, el prez

Got a sirt pistol and followed MFCEO's advice, train with a heavy trigger - not easy to do but rewarding. Practiced upper alpha shots at 15 yards on a USPSA target. Using a low ready, set a par time of 1.3 and didn't hit the time but did get some clean presses in about 1.7.

Then did moving reloads where I had to reload while stepping two steps to the right (or left) and hit the target in 1.5; was hitting about 1.6.

Rounded out with el prez with a 5.3 par and was hitting 5.8 with some alpha and Charlie hits.

Planning for a live fire session tomorrow if the weather holds out; will practice stage 3 of the classifer, el prez, and WH/SH bill drills.

#76 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

6/6 Live fire - 300 rounds

Goals = distance accuracy, transitions, group shooting, and entering/exiting positions

Shot 100 rounds on stage 3, string 1, of the IDPA classifier and overall hits were 50% alpha, 40% charlie, 8% delta, and 2% mike. Had a really hard time shooting it in under 20 seconds. Best I did was 19 seconds. I'm understanding the sight pictures I need and the amount of WH grip I need, but I'm still trying to figure out the trigger press. For me, to get under 20 seconds which means I'm just short of slapping the trigger resulting in some left of target or low left of target - I need some more practice on this. Used both my IDPA gun (M&P 9) and my USPSA gun (Aperio) and my accuracy is about 25% better with the Aperio due to better ergo's and SA trigger. The M&P is a good gun, but my Aperio blows it away. 

Practiced the IDPA el prez and was getting some good hits but batteries died on my timer. Overall hits were 70% alpha, 20% charlie, 9% delta, and 1% mike.

Then practiced the FAST drill because I wanted to see if my dry fire has helped my group shooting: on the 4th try I cleaned the drill. The first 3 attempts I was using the small USPSA upper alpha, which is smaller than a 3 by 5 index card and I was just low of this section. And I used a small 6" paper plate for the lower section and every shot was on the plate for all 4 strings. When I cleaned the FAST on the last attempt, I holed the head shots and my lower groups were really tight.

Final drill I did was set-up two targets that are 12 yards apart; then I build two shooting boxes at 7 yards that were about 5' wide in front of each target. The goal was to run to the first box and as I put my first foot within the shooting box I engage the first target with 2 shots and as I exit the shooting box I shoot two more on the same target; I repeated this process for the second target. After about 5 passes in the 90 degree heat I was pretty spent, but I was blown away to see over 95% of the shot were in the alpha and the rest were charlie.

Going forward for my dry fire routine, I'll continue to work on trigger presses on distant targets, draws, and reloads (both tactical and slide lock). I wish I could get to the range more than once a week, but it is super hard to do this with my current schedule...

#77 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

Start breaking down Stage 3 String 1. Time to first shot. Split times. Transition Times. RWR time. Take the time to get a really good grip or your splits will suck. Dry fire it at 25-30 yards. Make the sight pictures harder. Lots reps.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#78 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

6/8 through 6/9 am Dry fire 30 mins each day

Working on grip, trigger pull, and transitions

For grip - really focused on crushing that left hand especially on distant targets. Getting some new callouses and balancing the amount of time so I don't injure myself as my hands are getting sore.

For trigger pull, my fingers are pretty long - in fact my index finger is just over 4". What I've noticed in live and dry fire, is distant shots 15 yards and beyond reflect a low left hit from a jerk to a hit left of target from not placing my finger on the trigger correctly (my sights are zero'ed correctly). I've been experimenting with a different placement of my trigger finger where I place the pad of my trigger finger along the left edge of the face of the trigger and press. Thus far the results are promising, and I'll double check this theory once I hit live fire later in the week. I realize this is a departure from the standard thinking, but anatomically I'm not fitting the standard approach and I want better results.

For transitions its mostly standard fare: lead with eyes then snap on the target similar to what MFCEO and Max Michel are doing. I'm trying a few methods to snap on target and I'll report back once I have more definitive information. 

#79 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

6/10 Dry fire AM & PM - 25 mins total

Controlling trigger press, alignment, and transitions while shooting on the move.

Set-up a mini stage: 1st shooting box = Hopkins drill, 2nd shooting box = 6 simulated plate racks about 3 yards away from box 1. Procedure = sprint from box to box and engage target one freestyle as the first foot steps in the box (5 reps - 5 sets); then sprint to weight bench and pump out 10 reps of 140 (5 sets).

What I learned = when my heart rate is pretty elevated I was double clutching the trigger (never did this before), it was super hard to get on target quickly, and I was getting some decent hits with the SIRT. Still working on finger placement for the trigger pull - want to get this pretty crisp for the next competition within USPSA (within 30 days).

Finished up with some draws, which are at 1.2 seconds. Also ran el prez and was completing it within 6.4 seconds. I may do some reload drills later today depending on how work goes today.

#80 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

6/11 Dry fire 15 mins

Training cut short due to reloading a few hundred rounds; primary focus was tactical reloads. Was hitting between 1.6 and 1.7 seconds and hitting the alpha about 80% of the time.

Live fire will happen Sat morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users