#81 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

6/13 Dry fire 30 mins

El prez times are dropping and I can occasionally hit a 5.4 par time with equal alpha Charlie hits; but I'm not looking over the guns as much as I use to - sights are showing up nice and high. Did plate racks and was hitting 2.9 seconds on a 2" circle at 4 yards - again not looking over the gun as much.

Getting ready for live fire tomorrow : classifier stage 3 string 1, el prez, and dot drill, and hard entry/exit are on the menu.

Loaded about 700 rounds on the 550; if I have a good year I'm getting a 1050. Even with the case feeder it's pretty slow and it's hobby quality at best...

#82 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Why would you say 550 ammo is hobby quality? Quantity sure, but why would a 1050 produce higher quality ammo?
  • ZachJ likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#83 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Because 3x more expensive = 3x gooder ammo because Doodie math.

My turret press ammo must surely fly sideways. It's a miracle I ever hit a plate.
  • ZachJ likes this

#84 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

LOL - I didn't explain my thought completely so let me try again.

The ammo produced on a 550 is not hobby quality as its way better than the crap ammo you buy off the shelf. However, the fit, tolerances, and finish of the 550 is hobby quality in my opinion. I have a strong background in quality management, manufacturing and production systems so my standards are pretty high. I'm not a total dumb ass, I get its a price point.

Here's some examples of why its hobby quality: powder charge is consistently off plus/minus 3 grains even after doing all the smoothing out of the rough surfaces (I bought this thing new, why the hell am I doing this), primers flip upside down 5 - 8 times out of 100 even after calling Dillion and screwing with tubes and other BS, case feeder can barley spin with more than two fist fills of brass in the hopper, then 3 out of every 50 cases are upside down, and the feeder arm sticks out of every 20 pulls. That's pretty shitty quality control.

As I get older I realize have more time behind me than ahead of me; from what I've read, almost all people that bought the 1050 stated it saved time while producing high quality ammo. So in my book, its worth the money. Will it be flawless, no it won't but it better not fuck up as much as this 550 does. I love to shoot but I hate reloading - but the cost savings are hard to ignore if you shoot high volumes of 1K - 2K or more a month.

All doodie joking aside, if someone want to load a single stage, square deal, or a ammo master knock your socks off - I'm not gonna shit on their selection. I may not be a good shooter yet, but I know whats important to me and I know how to invest my funds. 

#85 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

I have never heard of someone having so many problems with a 550, and I don't even drink the blue koolaid. Is this typical?

#86 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

All of the reloaders have some issues, Dillion seems to have less than most. ButI just want the thing to work. I shouldn't have to do all this shit to get it working. I've figured out work a rounds for most of the crap.

If you go on to b. anus forms you'll find at shitload of holly war posts on why one is better than the other.

#87 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

Huh, I load 3/4 MOA 308 ammo on my 550 and am pretty sure it would be 1/2 MOA if I practiced long range once in a while.

Maybe you aren't doing it right.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#88 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

Huh, I load 3/4 MOA 308 ammo on my 550 an dam pretty sure it would be 1/2 MOA is I practices long range once in a while.

Maybe you aren't doing it right.

Unpossible. Only Forster CoAxs can do 1/2" MOA ammo.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#89 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

It spits out solid ammo, but I have to go through a bunch of bullshit to make it work.

It's true, I could be screwing something up. When I shared my process with Dillion they said I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

#90 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Ain't nobody got time for Bench Rest shooting.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#91 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

Yeah - I'm too ADD for bench shooting. Running around popping holes in cardboard is good therapy and keeps me from wanting to burn things.

#92 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:15 AM

CoAx is for amateurs. Wilson seating dies and an arbor press FTW.

#93 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

6/14 Live fire 300 rounds

Session went great except for it being 95 degrees out; it was so hot the sharpie marks on my brass melted off. I started to video the session but my phone shut down because it said it overheated.

Started off with stage 3 string 1 and I was getting 50% alpha, 30% Charlie, 15% delta, 5% mike. Better than the first time, but I have a habit of speeding through the trigger pull which sends shots low or low right.

Here's a rough average of the 100 rounds I burned on this: overall time 20.8, draw was 2.61, splits were 1.0, transitions were 1.7, reload was 5.3 (ugh!)

Then burned another 100 on El Prez: overall 8.5, draw is 1.8, splits were .28, transitions were .75, reload was 2.2 (ugh). My hits were 50% alpha, 40% Charlie, 9% delta, 1% mike.

Finally I shot 40 rounds at 7 yards with the goal of hitting 2 alpha in 1.5 or less. One time I hit the goal, twice I hit 1.51 with two alpha, then most others were 1.6 or 1.7 with alpha/Charlie.

I was sweating so bad I started to loose my grip so I tried some dots at 5 yards. First 4 I failed bad - then I shot with no time limit and I passed the last two with 10.5 on the 5 dot, and 10 flat on the 6 dot.

Good confirm of my dry fire, I'll work more on reloads, trigger control, and work transitions.

#94 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

6/15 PM Dry fire - 15 mins

Worked on some table reloads while turning 180 degrees to shoot a 1 inch target at 10 feet. I was aiming for a 2 second run but no luck as I was clicking about 2.8 to 2.7. I was trying to acquire a rapid index but I needed an extra second acquire the target.

Then did some trigger work as I am a habitual trigger jerker.

I feel like I get decent hits 15 yards in, but I'm too slow. I might switch to MFCEO's plan to help build my speed.

May shoot a uspsa match on Sat but it's been hot as hell here and it's projected to be 100 degrees on Sat; I barley withstood a 1.5 hour practice session this weekend in the 90's.

#95 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

Just checked my el prez times from my post on 5/3; Looking at Sundays post I cut my time by two seconds, but my hits opened up a bit.

Makes me think about what Larry Costa told me a few months ago about getting my hits. Is it good to cut time by 2 seconds while shooting 60 % alpha 35% Charlie in major vs 95% alpha in 10 seconds?

#96 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

Go listen to some Steve Anderson podcasts on accuracy mode vs. speed mode vs. match mode.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#97 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:26 AM

6/18 dry fire 15 minutes

Traveling for business and training to be a better shooter usually don't go hand in hand. That said, I've found a way to blend the two forces.

When I travel, like i am now, I bring a 2011 pistol grip with me and I practice pick- up from a table, grip, acquisition of a target, and transitions. Is it as good as using my pistol or even my sirt pistol, no it's not. However it's much better than nothing.

#98 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

6/20 Dry fire 30 mins

Hit a new benchmark time for my draw: 1.1 seconds. Was able to hit it about 60% of the time - grip could have been better and was only looking over sights maybe 10% of the time.

Reloads remain elusive with 1.6 to 1.7 times. There were a few 1.5, but it was less than 10%; grip is really sloppy.

Finally did the dot drill with my sirt pistol aiming for a 2.5 par, didn't get it today as I was hitting 3 seconds to 3.2 seconds. Sights were good and no looking over the gun for this drill.

Didn't make it to the uspsa match as I was too jet lagged from my trip to Washington, I'll check next weeks schedule.

#99 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Just keep banging away at it. Hold yourself to a high standard for dry fire quality.

Investing the time to acquire a really good grip pays excellent returns.

Failing to acquire a really good grip has predictable consequences.

Understand?

End every drill pushing 0.1s then 0.2s below your baseline par time. Plenty of room for improvement.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#100 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Awesome and thanks for the coaching!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users