Photo

Zen and the art of Unicorn Maintenance

Stock II Limited Pro EAA Tanfoglio Unicorn Tears Haters Tuning TRS CZ?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:31 AM

I've been slowly learning the internals of the new Stock II and Lim Pro and contemplating my 'next moves' for tuning.

Last night I arrived.

Actually, I mean that I broke my first Trigger Return Spring in the Lim Pro in Dry Fire. Fortunately this occurred right AFTER a state IDPA match. I pulled the trigger, something went click and felt off then no return of the trigger. I've been waiting for this and wondering if I had magic TRS's or something - which I do not.

Without instructions I got out the pin punch, drove out the trigger pin and pulled it all apart. I managed not to lose the sneaky pin/spring in the mag release button, even after the pin jumped out at one point.

YVG was kind enough to include a 3-pack of CGW reduced power TRS, one of which I promptly launched skyward and which I heard fall in a nasty gun shop trash can. Loverly. That took a while to find, almost wrote it off but I figured I'd regret it.

And then came re-assembly. A few minutes of fooling around and it became clear that some assistance would be highly desirable.

I found Henning's videos at http://www.henningsh...e.assembly.html, then spent more time to get a WMV player for my ipad. If you have a Tanfo I suggest saving these videos somewhere. Loss could be tragic.

While it was open I got out some 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper and did a little polishing, but my heart wasn't in it. I wanted my gun back together PRONTO.

Re-assembly wasn't too bad, once I learned to apply the 'tricks' for reassembling the plunger/mag release, then the slave pin for the trigger pin, and I already could replace the sear cage. I still haven't disassembled the 1-piece sear cage or extractor, that'll have to wait for anther day.

The Lim Pro is back together, the trigger appears to have been slightly improved since my last measurements, and I completed my dry fire session. All is well with my universe.

As a side note this crap makes me appreciate Glock Perfection a little more. OK I'll still take my Unicorns, but the engineering of a Glock (low parts count, no roll pins, easy disassy/assy, etc.) really is something in comparison.
  • ZachJ and JesseTix like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#2 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Henning's videos were a godsend when I got my first Tanfo.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#3 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

<-- has $800 for your Stock 2.

#4 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

It's not that I don't have love for the Stock II, I just end up shooting the Lim Pro for IDPA weekly matches, monthly matches, this past weekend's state match and I've been wearing the Lim Pro out (vs. the Stock II) in dry fire.

I do have a bunch of new springs in, a lot of fine grit sandpaper, a Dremel, polishing compounds, an improvised trigger pull scale, Federal primers, an angle grinder, a sense of humor and plenty of scotch.

I forsee this turning out badly.

• ny32182 likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#5 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Take the money. Much easier than trying to make that POS work.

#6 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

Yeeeeee Hawwwww!!!!!

My babies are gonna run MORE GOODER!

17977218-Hands-of-a-worker-with-angle-gr

• Nimrod likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#7 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Angle grinder and Scotch are finishing tools at FRC according to their brochure.

• Miculek is a Noob likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#8 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

FRC ain't got nothing on Aggro Loco when he's on a polishing tear. 

Plus I've collected a massive stockpile of clicky pens.  I'm confident that the perfect plunger spring is in one of them.  After all, that's the secret to Ben's success, isn't it?

In Doodie, Veritas.

#9 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationShowing stuff to the kids

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Angle grinder and Scotch are finishing tools at FRC according to their brochure.

Snobbery. Just push the parts against the tarmac while driving to the range or liquor store.

~ My lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#10 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

Snobbery. Just push the parts against the tarmac while driving to the range or liquor store.

Most of these guys probably ride their lawn mowers to the liquor store.

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#11 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

I can't ride my lawnmower to the liquor store, he's a little fella from down south.

#12 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Who, the guy at the liquor store?

#13 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Or if You refer to your gardener You shouldn't ride him at all. But we won't judge.

#14 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Or if You refer to your gardener You shouldn't ride him at all. But we won't judge.

Gardner? WTF you take care of your own garden round here, you can't trust nobody to guard your patch.  You raise up under the tractor and bash your head a few many times?

I heard they do a lot of that "kind of riding" out in Hollywood CA but here in the South we don't do that shit, we beat repress the shit out of it.

#15 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

I improvised a trigger pull gauge with a scale, containers of bullets (one for DA, one for SA) and an aluminum rod bent with a propane torch. I don't have a Lyman trigger gauge yet and this is surprisingly effective. The trick is to position the rod on the trigger as low as it will go, rotate the gun until it is pointed vertical and slowly lift to see if the trigger can be pulled. If not, add weight. 3 successful pulls = trigger pull weight. I am still working on this, my methodology has been slowly improving so there may be noise in the numbers below.

As received from YVG: DA/SA (my measurement) @ 7 lbs 8 oz / 2 lbs 12 oz (his measurements: 7 lb 6 / 2:13, so at least our measuring tools/process is in the same ballpark)
- Full power Trigger Return Spring
- 13 lb hammer spring
- 19 lb Henning Plunger Spring

I am going to Federal primers (still have Tula KVB-9 practice ammo to shoot up), and have a theory that I can use the new Titan hammer intended for light springs and commercial ammo, lighter springs and polishing to continue to improve the triggers WITHOUT compromising reliability. Necessary? No. Fun for me? Yes.

With Titan hammer replacing the Delta hammer: 7 lbs 3 oz / 2 lbs 14 oz.

With Titan hammer and reduced power Wolff 13 lb hammer spring, an EVG light firing pin spring and some quick polishing of the firing pin block: 6 lbs 15 oz / 2 lbs 10 oz.

Testing: Live fire session yesterday, ran the Stock II exclusively, 200+ rounds. I shot only practice ammo, much of which had Tula KVB-9 primers and (Dillon) 9mm case gauge failures of 'match' ammo with Federal primers. Some CG failures were pretty bad, yet all but 1 of the 10 worst passed a chamber plunk test.

No problems other than a reload that didn't pick up a round, and that was probably my timing. Stronger mag and/or recoil spring might help.

I think I should be able to go further. Next steps:
- Install reduced power CGW Trigger Return Spring
- 18 lb / 'Clicky Pen' Plunger Spring
- More polishing per interwebs - definitely.
- Cut coils or reduce power of 13 lb (or 14 lb) hammer spring?
- Reduce power of Firing Pin Block spring (I think the current one is the LRA extended RFPB spring)?
- Experiment with 8 vs. 9 lb recoil spring?

Other Ideas?

In Doodie, Veritas.

#16 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

Other Ideas?

Stop fucking with a gun that works and get gooder at shooting?
  • LeadChucker likes this

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

If it wasn't somehow clear, part of the joy in all of this for me is a balance of (in no particular order):

• Learning to shoot more gooder (Dry Fire, Live Fire, Training)
  • Doing steadily better in matches.
  • Fucking with my gear (Tanfo's, 1050, Loads, whatever) - surely you understand this...
  • Research
  • Socialization

What's better than a baller Tanfo than a beautifully tuned and RELIABLE Tanfo that I understand intimately?

Somehow I think being a 50-something year old 'Top 16 Factory Shooter' is a long shot.

This is who I am. It's the journey, not the destination.

In Doodie, Veritas.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#18 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

Good answer. I want you to keep going and share results.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#19 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

Other Ideas?

IDPA, right?  Leave that gun stock.  It's not about the gaming.

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#20 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yea right. ... IDPA guys are all "Timmies" that leave their guns in factory condition for IDPA training.

YVG sent the Lim Pro to me in USPSA 'tooned form with externally visible changes (hammer, trigger), which already puts me in ESP. In other words, no reason not to continue to have at it tooning wise.

I have considered taking it back to stock external parts and shooting it SSP. Meh, I'll just run it ESP then re-shoot the Classifier with a Glock 34 for SSP Master some day.

I did shoot an IDPA State match last Saturday. It was OK except for:
- A (GADPA?) range Nazi on one stage that cost me a procedural for apparently 'failing to respect his authoriteh'. Jackhole.
- A couple of cover calls that disrupted my flow - and in one case caused me the jack a round into a non-threat as I changed position. My bad but annoying.
- 2 procedural penalties for prematurely ejecting an empty mag with a round in the pipe. My bad but annoying.

In other words, IDPA is becoming tiresome and not something I care much about. Still, I haven't given up on shooting it with my buds and really enjoy the Classifier as a goal.

In Doodie, Veritas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stock II, Limited Pro, EAA, Tanfoglio, Unicorn Tears, Haters, Tuning, TRS, CZ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users