293 replies to this topic

#281 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

Probably not a concern any more, but did you ever try the DS Perman extra strength safety springs in your CZ?  

#282 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

I did install them on my S1s, and they certainly improved the situation, but I still had cases of accidentally engaging the safety. Easiest way to make it happen was doing a weak-hand transfer. Those springs and the thin safeties, fit real tight, made for a good belt & suspenders approach.

As you say, not a concern anymore with the S2. Everything about the S2 is better than the S1.

• Thunder Nuggets likes this

#283 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Goal for the day was pushing split times and transition speed on medium-range targets. In dry fire the previous week, it felt like I had made some progress building my grip quickly when coming out of the holster and keeping my support hand locked down hard when moving through arrays and between positions. Previously, it seemed like my grip was still firming up on the second shot, and I’d regularly catch my grip loosening up. Shooting for Alphas on head boxes continues to be a dry-fire theme.

I set up Distance Change-Up with Metrics to start with the goal of tracking cold times on it. I had been doing this on Classics in the latter part of 2017, and it successfully added match pressure to the start of the practice session. My cold run felt solid, but I pulled one of the head shots wide due to a lack of visual patience. I broke the second shot before fully cleaning up the sights. Subsequent runs went better, and I was consistently running Alpha/Bravo on the head with occasional 2 Alpha and 2 Bravo runs.

Other good news was consistently drilling 2 Alpha on the close targets with 0.17 s splits. Recoil control on the first shot felt solid with the front sight snapping back down into place. Draw time ranged between 0.9 s and 1.0 s. I ran this drill for about 200 rounds.

Next came shooting Doubles Drills at 20 yards. I set up three targets, shot four doubles into each one, pasted, and repeated for about 300 rounds. Sights were tracking well, and I was pushing split times down close to 0.3 s typically shooting 6 Alpha, 2 Charlie, with the occasional Delta sneaking in. On some runs my grip locked into place for 8 Alpha. I don’t think there’s a better way to put your grip under a microscope than shooting this or Bill Drills at 20 or 25 yards.

The meat of practice was shooting a mini stage with four Metric targets and an 8” steel, each engaged both before and after a move (18 rounds). Two of the targets were next to each other, with the rest positioned with wide transitions between them. The arrangement gave two shots at 10 y, with the rest at 15–20 y. Shot this enough to make it a thousand-round day.

Clip 1: A typical run once I was warmed up. Speed gains would be from cutting draw time and getting onto the center target faster.

Clip 2: Showing off because 6 Alpha.

Clip 3: I need to snap my head to the next target on wide transitions instead of keeping it locked in place. This should speed transitions, which are looking leisurely here.

Clip 4: I’m repositioning my feet before leaving the first position and need to watch my foot positioning in the second position.

Clip 5: Similar to the previous two. I’m staying low and shooting aggressively.

Dry fire and practice this week will be more of the same along with making it a point to snap my head to the next target on wide transitions.

• SlivGod likes this

#284 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Baller.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#285 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

Beast

#286 Thunder Nuggets

Thunder Nuggets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

Is the "doubles drill" the one that Ben is doing in his skills and drills class now days?

#287 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Is the "doubles drill" the one that Ben is doing in his skills and drills class now days?

Yes. Draw, fire the first shot, then fire the second as soon as the sights are where they need to be. Pause to line up the sights perfectly, then repeat for three more doubles.

• Thunder Nuggets and CheesyD like this

#288 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Fun side-by-side comparison with other local heat at the last RBGC match. It's fun to see where we gain and loose ground to each other across the stages.

• SlivGod, Sweet T and Thunder Nuggets like this

#289 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Oh I like that.

#290 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

Another comparison video from the same match, here with a buddy who's a solid A-class shooter that's moving up fast.

I'm mostly pulling ahead based on faster splits and quicker transitions on targets past 10 yards, and a little bit with movement efficiency and shooting sooner when coming into positions. I'm not much faster shooting close targets, as can be see at the start of stage 6.

• SlivGod likes this

#291 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

Set up Distance Change-Up as the first drill today and shot it cold. I was feeling quite amped up and yanked one of the head shots to the side despite trying to impose some sight discipline. Fuck.

I somehow pulled a 2.70 s run with 5 A, 1 B out of my ass on the second try. Shot times were:

The two head shots felt amazing, like the connection between my brain and trigger finger and received a bandwidth upgrade. It felt like the signal was getting there faster and with better isolation, with the rest of my hand was staying more still when I pulled the trigger. Subsequent runs were a roller coaster, with excellent runs followed by things going sideways. The good runs had 0.4 s splits on the 15-yard head box that felt rock solid, which is a new thing for me. I was going for, and regularly getting, two Alphas there.

Bill drills at 25 yards were improved from my last range trip with tighter grouping and fewer shots pushed low. Consistency just isn't there yet when I push times down toward 3 s. Actually, my grip will sometimes go sideways and a Delta will pop up shooting in the high 3 s range.

I pushed the three targets (open, head only, open) to the same distance and worked the array at 15, 20, and 25 yards. Head shots at 20 and 25 yards are a struggle, but I was surprised that I connected from 25 yards at all.

At the end of the range session, I went through nearly 200 rounds trying to get four straight runs on Distance Change-Up without a miss on the head. I was pretty tired at that point, which didn't help. This is one example of how USPSA practice can degenerate into an exercise in self hatred.

• SlivGod, Sweet T and racetaco like this

#292 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

I think that much of the improvement came from upping my honesty on dry fire, particularly when shooting small partials. I'm looking to establish and maintain the same grip pressure that I'd use in live fire for the duration of the drill, and it's something I'll check after shooting the last target, particularly if there's a reload involved. Also getting a precise sight picture and holding it absolutely steady on targets like a 15- or 20-yard head box. It took a bit, but things started to click with these things happening automatically.

There's still room for improvement on my technical skills, but I think that most of my gains in match results will come from mindset and self-image. Blowing up on a stage because I'm nervous will undo casually punching 2A on a head box on an earlier stage where I had my shit together.

In other news, my hands feel like hamburger today. Demoing drills for tomorrow's class will be entertaining.

#293 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

Taught my second class on Saturday, which went very well. I put together a one-day curriculum that I'm calling an 80/20 class. The Pareto principle suggests that ~20% of the causes give ~80% of the results. Reviewing match videos and scores brought me to the conclusion that raw shooting speed, particularly on targets past 10 yards, transitions, and efficient position entry/exits are the 20% for USPSA. The class focuses on these items while touching on additional items like draws, shooting on the move, reloads, etc.

Working with six students seems to keep the class moving at a good pace. People have enough down time to reload, eat, and socialize without getting impatient to shoot.

Demoing skills for the students adds a satisfying amount of pressure to perform. I missed a few draws to an 8" plate at 15 yards but nailed some A-zone head shots on a position entry drill. We concluded the day with 25-yard Bill Drills. My first two were unremarkable, but the second two were 5A, 1C in ~3.50 (didn't nail my draw) and 6A in ~3.30 s, which was pretty sweet.

• SlivGod likes this

#294 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

Related to improving my shooting speed on far targets, perhaps a third of my practice rounds the past few months have been shot doing Bill Drills or Ben’s Doubles Drill at 20 or 25 yards. Initially, I was barely keeping everything on paper at 25 yards when pushing below 4 s on Bill Drills. Now I’m regularly getting 5 or 4 Alphas and 1 or 2 Charlies shooting at a 3.3 s pace but still messing up too frequently and punching a Delta or two or having the time slip to 3.7 s or so due to a missed draw. My goal over the next couple months is mostly consistency, where it’s unusual for me to throw more than 2 Charlies when pushing speed close to 3 s at 25 yards. Much of this comes down to grip pressure and precise trigger control.

There's big money to be made in matches from keeping the pedal down on far targets and not hitting the brakes when partials show up.

• SlivGod, CheesyD and racetaco like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users