#41 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

I am having the same issue with my CZ. Hasn't happened in practice, but has in two of my last four matches. Drop me a line if you figure it out and I will do the same.

Current theory is that the ejection failures were gunk build-up behind the extractor. I had been blasting it out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner every few thousand rounds, but there was a horrific amount of black goop behind it when I drifted out the pin and pulled the extractor. All clean now, and we'll see how it runs this weekend.

#42 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

Current theory is that the ejection failures were gunk build-up behind the extractor. I had been blasting it out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner every few thousand rounds, but there was a horrific amount of black goop behind it when I drifted out the pin and pulled the extractor. All clean now, and we'll see how it runs this weekend.

I was surprised how quickly junk accumulated behind the extractor on the CZ compared to other guns. At least it's easy to pull.

#43 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hmm, extractor is one thing I haven't pulled yet on Tanfos.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#44 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

Took a day off work to sling lead with Twinkie and another friend. We started off with CM 08-02 Steeler Standards, which neither of us managed to hundo. My best runs were in the high 80% range with several spectacular blow-ups. I was regularly hitting the magazine release during the weak-hand transfer, and on several occasions sent the magazine downrange. Gotta fix that shit, as it happens in dry fire as well. The real tough part was how pressure built after two solid strings. One set was solidly in GM territory but I just couldn't hold it together on the third string. I still have much work to do convincing myself that it's like me to casually lay down GM scores on classifiers.

The practice stage mixed up a bunch of classic partials and 6" and 8" plates. The upper-A-zone one out around 20 yards ate my lunch, as I was often flinching and putting the bullet an inch or two low into the black. The partials with vertical hard cover weren't really a problem.

• Twinkie, BenB and GuanoLoco like this

#45 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

I might be a little jealous.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#46 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

Fun dry-fire drill:

Set three Metric targets at a simulated 10 yards. At the buzzer, draw, fire one shot on each, reload, and fire one shot on each. Pick a par time where you have to hustle but can hit with a fraction of a second to spare. I was using 3.5 s.

The actual drill is to beat the par time ten times in a row. Gets fun once you've completed the first five or so.

• BenB likes this

#47 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

Fun dry-fire drill:

Set three Metric targets at a simulated 10 yards. At the buzzer, draw, fire one shot on each, reload, and fire one shot on each. Pick a par time where you have to hustle but can hit with a fraction of a second to spare. I was using 3.5 s.

The actual drill is to beat the par time ten times in a row. Gets fun once you've completed the first five or so.

I'll give it a try tomorrow, sounds interesting.

#48 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Fun dry-fire drill:

I ran this last night.  Thanks for sharing!

#49 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

I ran this last night.  Thanks for sharing!

How did it go? Frustrating as hell for me, which is why it will become a regular part of my practice!

#50 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

How did it go? Frustrating as hell for me, which is why it will become a regular part of my practice!

I could get 3 or 4 in a row and then I would flub the reload.  Or call a delta.  

Excellent drill, you're right.  I think it will find its way into my regular rotation.

It may be a pleasant unintended consequence, but I think this one has big benefits for shot calling.  With a 3.5 par time, you don't have to go balls to the wall, so anything less than an Alpha or close Charlie is unacceptable.  And one "shot" only makes it easy to see where your front sight was superimposed over the target when you pulled the trigger.

#51 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

I call it "the Andreas."
  • Sweet T likes this

#52 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

It may be a pleasant unintended consequence, but I think this one has big benefits for shot calling.  With a 3.5 par time, you don't have to go balls to the wall, so anything less than an Alpha or close Charlie is unacceptable.

Exactly! And there's time to look the fresh magazine into the well—you don't need to blindly slam it in and hope things work out.

I think you could run just about any dry-fire drill like this productively.

#53 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

A couple runs on a practice stage with Twinkie and another pal. The first position had three plates at 5 yards, a partial at ~10, and three more plates at 20. Then came a mix of targets between 3 and 10 yards with the last two targets being partials at 25 yards. The 20-yard plates and 25-yard partials seriously tested our mettle. It was rare for me to go one-for-one on the steel and punch Alphas or close Charlies on the last targets. Each make-up shot on the 20-yard steel added about 2/3 s to the stage time.

Obvious areas where I need to improve are shooting the close steel more quickly (Twinkie kicked my ass there) and transitioning faster onto the last targets. It seems like I was shooting the targets in the middle well enough. I'd sometimes throw a Charlie or two, but many runs were all Alphas until I got to the last two targets. It's tough to stop from a sprint and make such shots quickly and accurately.

• Twinkie and LeadChucker like this

#54 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Exactly! And there's time to look the fresh magazine into the well—you don't need to blindly slam it in and hope things work out.

I think you could run just about any dry-fire drill like this productively.

I like this. It's an interesting challenge. It adds a little bit of mental practice dealing with the pressure through the runs. One thing I do leading up to a major match is focus on concistency and do something similar. I'll take a skill I'm working on and do drills focusing on that. I'll finish the drill by doing 10 successful runs in a row.

I've found one key for me on reloads is to look the mag OUT of the gun.

I focus on seeing the mag come out of the gun. That ensures my focus is on the magwell, where I want to bring the new mag. There is plenty of time to get visually focused on the magwell while you hit the mag release and your weak hand reaches for the new mag.

#55 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Horrific shit show today that started off with three Ms on a Virginia-count stage and went downhill from there. They were a complete miss on a head shot at ~12 y, just into hard cover on a tuxedo slightly farther away, and another complete miss WHO on an open target at ~18 y. Stage two was kind of slow but passable. Just hit a no-shoot on stage three along with shooting at a snail's pace. Stage four was the bright point in the day—shot with a purpose and came in 5th overall out of 70. Stage five was adequate but slow. And I've omitted CM 99-14 Hoser Heaven from the video to maintain some dignity—zeroed that one by murdering the fuck out of the no-shoots. Two of the no-shoot hits were on the freestyle string. I've no excuse…

• Twinkie and Surfer like this

#56 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Seems like that was going around today.

Also you guys have a really cool range set up there, looks like fun

#57 J.A.Nine

J.A.Nine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Seems like that was going around today.

Also you guys have a really cool range set up there, looks like fun

South River Gun Club is pretty sweet, they even have real bathrooms.

Ben told me, "Grip it harder."

#58 not that bryan

not that bryan

Fuckstick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

South River Gun Club is pretty sweet, they even have real bathrooms.

South River is nice, but that video is of Cherokee Gun Club

#59 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Shit the bed on a third match in a row. Fortunately didn't record any of the mess on video.

Stage 1: CM 99-48 Tight Squeeze

Put one round into the black by ~1/2" on the back target. Otherwise would have been an M-class run.

Stage 2: CM 09-02 Diamond Cutter

Just clipped the perf of the NS on the last target (2A, NS). Otherwise would have been a 100% run. Did the same thing on a re-shoot.

Stage 3: Short course with four poppers and four Metrics, all close.

Needed two or three make-up shots on the poppers due to rushing. Fuck.

Stage 4: Short field course with five Metrics and two poppers.

Fucked up something in my reload, so the old magazine was still there when I brought up the fresh one. Then missed one of the poppers over and over, necessitating a standing reload. Nothing good to say here.

Stage 5: Long field course with lots of targets.   Put one round into the black by ~1/2" on a partial at ~20 yards. Otherwise adequate execution of my stage plan.

Made margaritas when I got home: fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice, Jimador Blanco, splash each of Cointreau and Grand Marnier, and agave nectar for sweetening. They were good.

But I need to stop sucking at shooting.

#60 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

On the classifiers were you shooting for As or center of the brown? I've been wondering how to decide when it's worth the risk to go for the A after choosing poorly last match

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users