31 replies to this topic

#1 BDSoverflow

BDSoverflow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

The Source was prolly the best part of the DVD just to get that outta the way from the start here

Foundations

The newly released DVD "Foundations" by Ben Stoeger is another must see for those wanting to become better shooters and more importantly for the beginner who has decided to take competition shooting seriously and are hungry for knowledge to honing their shooting skills. Foundations will serve as a reference and useful tool going hand in hand with his previously released DVD last year and Ben's multiple dry-fire and pistol shooting soft backs.

Foundations was produced with the quality of a Hollywood blockbuster and not a third rate indie documentary. Rob Lisak did a great job in the picture and sound quality with multiple points of views and video speeds to enhance the viewer's ability to interpret clearly the points Ben was emphasizing. The background and lighting effects were easy on the eyes and allowed the viewer to easily focus in on even the most subtle movements throughout the film. This was truly a top notch production.

Ben takes a different approach in Foundations than from his previously released Skills and Drills and completely breaks down all the fundamental elements that are key to becoming a competitive shooter vs a weekend range shooter. He goes over in great depth of the Draw, Reloads, Stance and much more. I'd list them all but to get the full appreciation of this you'll have to purchase the DVD. I was impressed at the time and attention to detail that Ben conveyed in every different aspect of the fundamentals of competitive shooting. A beginner will be able to take these 80 minutes and have a clear and justified understanding of where to start to begin shooting competitively and how becoming effective and efficient in these foundational skills will form a solid framework to start from in USPSA.

The highlight of the DVD for me was the last segment on "Shot Calling" and how it plays a vital role in USPSA. Ben seemed to effortlessly explain what can be a hard skill to interpret for a newer shooter. His use of "technology stolen from the Russians during the Cold War" highlighted how shot calling is seen from a shooters point of view behind the sights.

Throwing in a mix of round table discussions and interesting tidbits from "The Source" kept the DVD from being monotonous of just Ben talking.

I would highly recommend buying Foundations if you really want to understand why these basic and fundamental skills are so vital to competition shooting and how to become proficient in these skills. You will leave with the knowledge needed to train correctly and properly under the pressure of the timer. Two thumbs up from this viewer!!!
  • ncav8tor and JohnnySr like this

#2 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

Digital Download is here!

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/38151

• GuanoLoco and Will like this

#3 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:43 AM

That trailer seemed awfully familiar. Finally figured it out. https://screen.yahoo...-000000670.html Basically, be Ben Stoeger.

#4 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

Figures. I break down and order it and it will be delivered tomorrow and this is out today. Oh well I will just wait another day for it.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#5 Fordfan485

Fordfan485

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Dammit. I knew this would happen I ordered the DVD last night.

#6 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

Figures. I break down and order it and it will be delivered tomorrow and this is out today. Oh well I will just wait another day for it.

Man I am sorry. =(

#7 mx5

mx5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the least populated state.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

I just downloaded the video. Haven't watched it all, but it's great so far. The video quality is outstanding, and OMG who is the knockout blond sitting in the front row?

"...wheeling out to my vehicle (in a wheel chair) with a walker across my lap."

#8 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

I just downloaded the video. Haven't watched it all, but it's great so far. The video quality is outstanding, and OMG who is the knockout blond sitting in the front row?

You're perving MFCEO's wife Kita

#9 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

must be a problem with my email. My coupon code hasn't arrived yet

• ncav8tor likes this

#10 Conspiracy Brother

Conspiracy Brother

Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationBanned for something?

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

You're perving MFCEO's wife Kita

And?

I'll give you $13 for the DVD (before Miculek is a Noob offers you $8)
  • ncav8tor likes this

#11 ChuckNLedd

ChuckNLedd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

I bought the DVD, then ripped and uploaded it to the cloud.  Now I can stream it like the cool kids.  

#12 ummm

ummm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

I bought the DVD, then ripped and uploaded it to the cloud.  Now I can stream it like the cool kids.  

I was wondering where the torrent got it's source...I guess we all have you to thank, so thanks!

#13 mx5

mx5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the least populated state.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

Well I watched the video. It's one of if not the best video I have seen regarding the fundamentals of shooting. In fact, I even put the video on pause, geared up, and tried a few things in dry fire. Ben is so right about several things he presents in the video and I am going to make a few changes. Here are three changes that I am going to try:

1. I got into USPSA shooting a single stack Les Baer with a Smith and Alexander mag well. I did my reloads down low and up close just as Ben suggests. When I went to the fat gun with the huge magwell I started doing reloads up high and in front of my face like the cool kids. Problem is, when I get in a hurry I still revert back to the old way, and of course when I reload on the move I do it in close. Also, when I do the reload up high and farther out I sometimes end up chasing the gun with my support hand aand I get a crappy grip. Screw it, I am going back to lower and closer.

2. When I started shooting USPSA I brought my support hand to my waist every time. In my search for those nano-second reloads I started rounding the corners off so-to-speak and my support hand would meet my strong hand farther out from my body. Hell of it is, if my timing is off I end up chasing the gun with my support hand and I get an inconsistent grip. I am going to focus more on indexing my support hand properly and getting a good grip from the get go.

3. When MFCEO started talking about squeezing as hard as possible with the support hand, I just sort of blew him off. I drank the 60/40 and 70/30 Kool-Aid years ago. When I started having problems with arthritic hands, my grip strength seemed to vary from day to day and it was tough to get consistent pressure. I don't know how many thousands of draws I have made with the pistol pointing off to the left. Then the light came on and I hit pause. Duh, sure as shit if I grip as strong as I can with my support hand the grip pressure is consistent and the sights line up. Well duh, I learned something new. I haven't tried it in live fire, but I will soon.

Honestly guys, this video is a must have for new shooters and I can promote the item without feeling like a nuthugger. It's even a great review for experienced shooters. Good job Mr. MFCEO. BTW, I thought Kita seemed like a relly nice person, until she went to kick you in the balls during the out takes. No doubt you deserved it.

• Twinkie likes this

"...wheeling out to my vehicle (in a wheel chair) with a walker across my lap."

#14 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

I watched Foundations and immediately won my next match!  It works!

#15 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Is there a segment on revolver shooting? If so I'll buy one. I'll even pay full price.

#16 Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

Is there a segment on revolver shooting? If so I'll buy one. I'll even pay full price.

Whats a "revolver"?

Is that like a "spinner"?

#17 phil datpus

phil datpus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

This better be good. I am getting this instead of my blood pressure meds this month. If it doesn't pan out the combined impact of no meds and no improvement may prove to be the last straw.
  • GuanoLoco, ZachJ and mx5 like this

#18 jayohee

jayohee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

As a fundamentals training video I thought the info was spot on. I really wish something like this was available for me when I first started. That said I felt like the 'panel' was really underutilized and didn't really have purpose outside of a device for asking questions. We see clips of them shooting drills and stages then.... nothing. I would have liked to see breakdowns of each of their techniques from least skill to most skilled. it would be nice to see that progression and have Ben analyze it for the draw, reload, transition etc.

#19 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:34 AM

It's a $30 video, not a $500 2-day class.

• mx5 likes this

#20 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

As a fundamentals training video I thought the info was spot on. I really wish something like this was available for me when I first started. That said I felt like the 'panel' was really underutilized and didn't really have purpose outside of a device for asking questions. We see clips of them shooting drills and stages then.... nothing. I would have liked to see breakdowns of each of their techniques from least skill to most skilled. it would be nice to see that progression and have Ben analyze it for the draw, reload, transition etc.

That's a good observation.

They probably have tons of extra footage and tough choices had to be made in editing. Who knows.

I like the concept you describe though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users