#1 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

Decided to borrow a couple Glocks and give GSSF a go. It seems like they give away a lot of guns so I figured it was worth a shot.

Any strategy tips from those with some experience? At a glance it appears that there is a premium on staying inside the B ring.
  • JohnnySr likes this

#2 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:45 PM

Don't miss! Lol, what guns did you borrow? The major sub pocket Glock whatever division is easiest to win cash/gun in. It's the division for a Glock 30/36 where you are limited to 6+1. Pretty much have to go 1 for 1 on the plates
  • ToddKS likes this

#3 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

Also, work the match if you can. 2 free Glock credits and I usually get about 3-4 thousand pieces of 9 brass per match.
  • RockOutGLOCKOut likes this

#4 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

I have a Gen 2 G22 and G21 and a Gen 4 G17. I will likely shoot the G17 in Civilian and Competition and the shoot Heavy Metal with the G21. Thinking of shooting master stock as well but not sure.

The G22 was the first one I came up with but I will likely not shoot it. I was not expecting the G17 to show up but I am thankful it did as I think I will do better with it.

#5 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:29 AM

Load up some .40 minor for the G22.

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#6 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:15 AM

The last two matches I've shot i have got three second places.  : (

Set up practice targets and shoot 7-8 second strings on 5 to Glock, 6 seconds on "M" and 4-5 second plate rack times.  Total time of 60 seconds, including penalties, might win a gun around here.  Might not.

#7 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

I just looked at last years scores from Kansas, would have come in second there also with my better times.  Need to work on the plate rack.

#8 ron169

ron169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

Is not easy to beat Bryan Dover if he is going to be there... Dude is a machine

#9 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

I've done really shitty without purposely getting out of the USPSA mindset that some C's are okay as long as they are fast.   Less penalties = better even if you slow down (obviously, to a point).   So, see what you need to see to get A/B hits, and try not to drop any Cs.

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#10 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

Load up some .40 minor for the G22.

That was my original plan when I only had the .40. The Gen 4 with the beaver tail back strap feels much better in my hands though. The trigger on the G17 also seems to be better.

#11 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

The last two matches I've shot i have got three second places. : (

Set up practice targets and shoot 7-8 second strings on 5 to Glock, 6 seconds on "M" and 4-5 second plate rack times. Total time of 60 seconds, including penalties, might win a gun around here. Might not.

That was sort of how I was thinking. I have to figure out what par time I can run and consistently not eat penalties. My primary concern is not dropping a ton of time penalties on the far targets on 5 to Glock. The math says that I can lose on those two targets alone.

The plate rack should be my best of the three.

#12 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:18 AM

You can definitely fuck yourself on those far targets. One entry in the last match I had only 2 seconds of penalties except for that one 10 second miss.

#13 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

Is not easy to beat Bryan Dover if he is going to be there... Dude is a machine

I don't think I have to. Based on my limited understanding he is a master shooter and I would be amateur under the rules. Hate to be that guy but under these circumstances a class win will be just fine.

When I was reviewing past results I had taken note that Mr. Dover did appear to be the best overall. There was another guy right there with him in most of the divisions as well.

#14 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

To be clear, the second place finishes I was bragging about were second high amateur.  I think Dover shoots every single match.  Doesn't look like it would be very profitable after expenses.

#15 JAnderson

JAnderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

I have shot 3 GSSF matches and ROed one in the last 2 years and won 4 guns (3 from 1st place wins, 1 on an RO drawing), some cash and an E-tool. B class Production shooter in USPSA, so I was shooting in Amateur for GSSF. First 2 matches I only won 1 division per match, last match won both divisions. I only shot in two divisions each match, Guardian and Competition. What I have found is if you can get under 60 seconds total you will more than likely win some guns. Each of my wins were for total times less than 60 seconds.

Practice your low ready, or tucked in start. Accuracy is very important, some C's are okay but D's and Mikes will throw you out of the running quick. Fast splits are not that important, but transitioning quickly is, as most I have seen can shoot quickly on a target but transition slow as shit.

Practice your plate rack using paper plates and if you can burn them down it will allow some more C's and D's on the other stages. Learn the scoring area of the targets so you know where to put your sights for the 25 yard target on 5 to Glock as you probably will not be able to see the perforations. If you don't have D-1 targets to practice on just use paper plates and pencil in A/B and C zones. Be smooth, watch your sights and have a good trigger press and it is pretty easy.

I have been told by a member here on Doodie that GSSF is like the Special Olympics of the shooting sports, but they are fun, quick to shoot and pay out more than I have ever gotten in USPSA. The Glock employees told me that if you are a A or B class USPSA shooter you should be able to win pretty easily.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Jon

#16 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

If you could shoot GSSF with just one Glock which would you choose? I'm thinking either a 19 or 17 would be the best choice. I'm looking for one gun that would let me shoot the most divisions with.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#17 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

If you could shoot GSSF with just one Glock which would you choose? I'm thinking either a 19 or 17 would be the best choice. I'm looking for one gun that would let me shoot the most divisions with.

A G26.  The G30 would let you shoot the most divisions though. I guess a G29 would be the same as the 30 except for leaving all that 10mm brass on the range.  I'm guess you will be able to get that back with interest though.

#18 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

It's a bullseye match dressed up like an action pistol match. 

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#19 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

It's a bullseye match dressed up like an action pistol match. 

I've only shot one but it seemed closer to NRA Action to me, would be fun if you didn't have to shoot a Glock.

• Zazz Blammymatazz likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#20 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

I've only shot one but it seemed closer to NRA Action to me, would be fun if you didn't have to shoot a Glock.

There was a funny thread on enos where some guy range lawyered up an argument about why his M&P should be legal.

• GuruOfGuns likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users