84 replies to this topic

#1 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Had a terrible and frustrating match last week that I'm using as motivation to finally get one of these up and running so I can review what I need to work on and any progress being made

I shoot production with a gen 3 glock 34. Currently Unclassified but should end up in B fairly soon.

Been lurking around doodie since before it was a forum, always wanted to get into USPSA but costs and school got in to way and the nearest match was 90min away (all excuses, I know). Randomly shot some IDPA and local action pistol matches with borrowed gear over the last few years but not what I'd call serious training or shooting. Even went to Front Sight in Nevada and and got their "distinguished graduate" award as the top shot in the class. Lol. Finally stopped making excuses last summer and started getting serious about gaming while helping organize a shooting club and team at my school this year and dove into USPSA about 7 months ago.

Most of my practice is dryfire and this will be where my effort is focused. Currently pretty sporadic and unfocused in training so this journal will hopefully help staying on track. Daily dryfire starts now.

More live fire would be nice but as a very recent graduate, I ain't got that kinda money. Live fire range sessions will need to be more focused on particular things and planned out before hand. Thinking I will cut back to 1 uspsa match and maybe 1 other per month and try to get 2 good range sessions (vs 3-4 matches of various types and maybe 1 shitty practice session)

Goal is A class in 6 months, M by next summer and GM by the end of 2016.

• GuanoLoco and JohnnySr like this

#2 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Last match, SLOSA Pro Am.

Shot like a total shithead.
Botched reloads with dropped mags (which I picked up. Idk why). Getting a crap grip on the draw/after reloads made made sight recovery awful. Need to work on that a lot dry.
Biggest problem was just missing most of my shots. Poor grip plus rushed sight picture and mediocre trigger control makes for piss poor shooting. Even when I slowed down to get hits I had serious accuracy issues (20 yard plate rack ruined me) which is not something I usually have difficulty with. Gotta check my zero with this load and work on accuracy on the timer. Still WTFing at this as I hit out to 100+yards without much trouble the day before in practice. Must be flinching and jerking when the pressure is on.

Not a lot of movement or stage planning required so those went ok for once.

#3 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Dryfire today, round 1:

Bought bens 2nd dryfire book to mix it up a bit from the first one. I like this better, feels more organized, focused and immediately accessible.
Worked through some draws really focusing on grip and speed.

-need to grip harder on left hand. Wrap around more and "pull" against back of strong hand.

-get left hand closer to the holster on the draw and on the gun sooner, not lazily chasing it.

-move gun from holster, out faster (especially with earlier 2 hand grip) my draw speed has been coming from getting to the gun fast and slowing/getting sloppy in the second half. Probably why my left hand grip is inconsistent as I'm meeting the gun late and lose with less time to lock in

-right hand position before drawing helps with consistency. Keep it in the same shape/position relative to the wrist that it will be on the gun. Seems to help with achieving consistent placement on the gun.

-1 hand draws: get aggressive in stance, lean into it. helps stabilize presentation.

Also worked the transition drills. Fuck me 1.6 is fast.

-gotta focus on grip. LEFT HAND!!

-don't get lazy in the sights

-seriously doubt I can work my actual trigger anywhere near this fast as my splits usually suck (.20 at best) Rubber band trigger better? Gotta fix the SIRT for sure.

micro drills on transitions: is there a reason to start from gun at extended 45 degree low ready? This was an epic fail as I can't seem to get the gun up fast or get any kind of sight picture at all. Off a draw, no problem but this just feels awkward as hell. Is it worth working on and is there any value to that skill outside these drills?

Next practice session after work tonight.

• Stubb and GuanoLoco like this

#4 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

I'll do for you what Twinkie and Stubb did for me months ago and recommend Lanny Bassham's book, With Winning in Mind.

#5 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:17 AM

I'll do for you what Twinkie and Stubb did for me months ago and recommend Lanny Bassham's book, With Winning in Mind.

Thanks! I'll have to grab that one.

#6 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

Second dryfire session of the day

Found out the classifier (CM 99-47) for the match Saturday so made that session 2

GM score is 5.7 hf and up. Yolo.

Planned strings for a with all A on bodies and B on headshots. Head box A probably isn't worth the time to guarantee so getting it is nice but not counted on.

Figured dryfire at 75% of goal times should be good. A little worried about recoils control weak hand as it's usually not good so really focusing on grip.

Strings
1-2 hand- live 3 sec -dry 2.25
2-strong- live 3.8 -dry 2.85
3-weak- live 5.5 -dry 4.125

Notes
Hadn't really put much time into one hand stuff in a while, took some brushing off the rust. After an hour it started to feel ok and the times were doable.

Trigger control with the left hand needs work, too many pulled shots into hard cover.

Gotta work on looking the gun to an exact point (center of available A). Decent number of shots called A but only by a hair. Need more margin for error.

#7 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

More 99-47 dryfire.

Those times are freaking tight. Couldn't make it on 2 hand string and finally realized I was using a 2.1 par time. I feel better.

Good grip weak hand is a MUST. Practice more.

Blisters are annoying.

#8 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Blisters are annoying.

They'll turn to calluses, then pick up a callus shaver to keep that shit under control.

• Buck Turgidson likes this

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

I was getting a lot of calluses then my skin toughened and they are mostly going away.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#10 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:02 AM

Lol I thought I had enough calluses, 2-3 hours dryfire a day is proving me wrong. Kinda wish my 34 was a bit newer, the corners of the beaver tail on the original gen 3 frames are brutal. Thanks California for making gen 4 illegal... Oh well, Cloth tape it and drive on.

Kept going more on classifier a bit, staying relaxed in the shoulders but tight in the hands is the trick to making the times, especially string 1. Gotta work on getting that grove on the first run, not after 5 or 6 tries. Also left hand grip off the switch is sucky...

Reload micro drills moving reloads to wrap up, felt surprisingly relaxing after hammering those draws. Going to need more balanced variety in my practice to not burn out but I want to see what a fuck ton of dryfire in a week can do for the classifier especially.

#11 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Found out the classifier (CM 99-47) for the match Saturday so made that session 2

Strings
1-2 hand- live 3 sec -dry 2.25
2-strong- live 3.8 -dry 2.85
3-weak- live 5.5 -dry 4.125

The first two seem super human. I set this thing up and am finding 3.3, 3.7, and 4.2 to be sporting par times.

#12 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:07 AM

The first two seem super human. I set this thing up and am finding 3.3, 3.7, and 4.2 to be sporting par times.

They're tight, i find myself just leaving the headshot as the buzzer goes on string one if i tense up or don't drive hard enough. String 2 is doable but I really have to hit a good grip or I waste time hunting for the sights a lot

I'll post a video in the morning running it cold for a little added pressure. so far I haven't hit any cold runs at all so should be fun.

Few draws, and reloads and 15 min of wide and 90 degree transitions with the SIRT tonight to give my hands a bit of a break. 

Tomorrow AM dry fire, live fire in the afternoon and dry again after work

#13 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Ugh cold runs are still awful. sloppy grip strong and especially weak hand, probably would have been a few C's. didn't make the time on string 1 or 2 either, still having trouble finding the balance of relaxed and aggressive coming out the gate 

videos for honesty

https://youtu.be/HlDpDi6DhHs 
https://youtu.be/1mWsMMyJ7G8
https://youtu.be/r25hNpGzRKY

#14 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

Live fire at the range.

Can't quite hit the time goals and accuracy suffered badly, ended up throwing lots of mikes into hard cover and clean missing the headshot weak handed. Discouraging. Definitely need more live fire 1 hand practice, it's ugly as hell.

I think my goal tomorrow will be just getting all alphas and not worry about the time. Oh and shoot accurately and smooth the rest of the match.

Lots of lefty dry fire needed tonight. Much suck and fail there.

#15 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

Match day.

Ow. Zero'd the classifier and tanked pretty good in general. Finished 26 out of 62.

The good:
-Accuracy was generally good today, especially on steel with only a few misses. Felt good after the pro am disaster.
-Executing stage plans also went better than usual, had a few really dumb moments but got back on track and on with the plan. Something I usually have issues with so its nice to see the work paying off a bit.

The bad
-Shot kinda slow. Felt myself holding back for most of the match, even on close wide open shots so as to get good hits. Ok for now but something to work on.
-Not making up shots. A few times I knew I should take a makeup and didn't because I was on autopilot and that was apparently set to Virginia count. Probably practicing that classifier too much but still pretty stupid. Don't do that.
-Stage plans themselves. They need work, several stages could have been run more efficiently or just less sloppily. Program better/more specifically with positions and such.
-Movement. Move yo white ass!! God damn.
-Reloading like a bitch. Need to stop sticking it in halfway all gentle like and expecting that to do anything, ram it in like a man and get back to work. More thoughts on this later.

The ugly.
-The classifier. Oh god. Apparently dry fire alone does not prepare one hand shooting skills. First string went great, all As in the low 3s, after that... Yeah. Something to work on on the range for sure.
-Clipping no-shoots and hard cover. Stuck one in the no shoot on a long and tight shot, called it there and then didn't make it up. Double dumb. Same thing on a half-hardcover swinger. Knew it needed another shot, didn't take it. Kind of a planning issue, I didn't program a solid picture of aiming at the available target instead of the whole thing. So I got a borderline C and an A in the hardcover portion. Actually pretty happy with hitting it that well considering how fast it was moving, just didn't aim in the right spot.
  • Stubb and ZachJ like this

#16 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Try a one-handed accelerator during livefire sometime. I ran a couple at my recent practice as an evaluation. Two times each hand. Starting on far with the DA pull. 1 C per run, rest As SHO. WHO 1 hit per target at most... Pretty eye-opening on the WHO and impressed me SHO as I haven't practiced it much. Also did one shot 90 degree transitions with one-handed.. Same hits generally as accelerator.
  • Surfer likes this

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#17 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

I like this, accelerator is an awesome drill

Yeah WHO was surprisingly bad compared to dryfire where it was starting to feel comfortable...

#18 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

So my thoughts on the mag change issue (which I had before and thought I had stopped doing)

Part of it I think is not doing enough mini stages in dryfire and outside of matches. Practicing standing reloads or with a shuffle or two is fine but in a stage there is a lot more going on and I tend to start worrying about what's coming up next, ignore the reload and not commit to seating it as my focus has already shifted to the next thing.
I think this is also a function of visualization (which I am improving but still suck at). I haven't really been visualizing the actual mag change itself and really sticking it before moving on, just thinking of a quick "do it here" between positions or targets. So of course that's how I end up shooting it (or not shooting in this case as the mag wasn't seated). I suspect this also accounts for some of the sloppiness and fumbled reloads I get in stages that I don't see in dryfire because I'm practicing just that skill so my focus (visual and mental) is where it should be to hit the hard and fast.

#19 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

The ugly.
-The classifier. Oh god. Apparently dry fire alone does not prepare one hand shooting skills. First string went great, all As in the low 3s, after that... Yeah. Something to work on on the range for sure.

Yeah, I'm also back to the drawing board in how to dry fire SHO & WHO skills productively after zeroing a classifier with tight SHO & WHO shooting. My draw to weak hand was acceptable, but things turned to shit as soon as I started pulling the trigger.

• Surfer likes this

#20 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Video time: comments and constructive insults much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/xTNCN4SVl-Q

but things turned to shit as soon as I started pulling the trigger.

Couldn't have said it better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users