Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

What's up with the reloads?

On stacked targets, it's usually easier to tag the bottom one first then transition to the top one.

Targets at 1:30 could have been taken while backing out.

The no-shoot targets at 2:30 and 2:39 violated 4.1.3. Fun idea, but illegal. Nice transition onto the second one.

#22 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

Things I noticed:

Hunting/scanning for targets.  Being out of position/shuffling.  

Probably a walkthrough + visualization issue? 

Are you burning in your plans?  I just got my very own reality check on this topic yesterday.

#23 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

What's up with the reloads?

On stacked targets, it's usually easier to tag the bottom one first then transition to the top one.

Targets at 1:30 could have been taken while backing out.

The no-shoot targets at 2:30 and 2:39 violated 4.1.3. Fun idea, but illegal. Nice transition onto the second one.

Reloads were just a bunch of suck. I think it's a combination of poor visualization of the actual reload and not practicing more stage like things dry and live. In dryfire I have no problem hitting reloads but when I try to do them in a match which other stuff going on, this is what happens.

Definitely need to work on shooting my way into and out of positions more

And I have no idea what the hell that transition was lol.

Probably a walkthrough + visualization issue?

Definitely.
Sad part is this is better than that usually goes where my plan vanishes when the buzzer goes off. I'm terrible at making a decent plan and burning it in.

Any ideas on improving that besides running more stages?

#24 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

Make a point of developing a correct and simple plan in the walk through.

Rehearse the plan during the walk-through and mentally after the walk-through as many times as possible.

Hold yourself accountable when you fail to execute on the plan. WHY did you get off plan? Did you get back on plan ASAP or improvise the rest of the stage (aka cascading shit show).

I'm not claiming I am good at this, but I've given it thought and learned/improved a lot since Ben kicked my ass on it back in November.

Two matches this weekend - in 3 of 12 stages I failed to execute the plan properly and did various levels or improvisational or downright stupid things moving me from top 5 or top 10 overall to mid pack each time.
- Not dumping last round before slide lock reload (IPDgay)
- Missing the final target on a walk through (2nd shooter, I was busy draining my bladder while the 1st shooter was shooting) and not demanding a re-shoot because of clear SO negligence in failing to point out the last target to me personally.
- Forgetting an early reload (USPSA).

Unacceptable.
  • Surfer likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#25 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

Dry fire yesterday

Trying to mix it up, shuffled around some partial targets, a 90 transition, reload, 2 on the move and into a final shot around a barrier (chair). Bought bens mini targets after, the paper gets torn up too easily when moving around.

Reloads were ok but dummy mags seat much easier than fully loaded 10 rounders. Definitely need to make a point of seating hard. Still not consistently shifting full focus to the reload while I do it = some pretty screwed loads as well.

Experimented with lowered reload position, i can see how it might be easier to get a full grip sooner but I'm not sure its worth it, getting the mag out before the next one is rather tricky, ended up hitting it back it, punching it across the room, and even smacking it straight up into my face. not even sure how thats possible. may experiment more but this isn't the biggest problem with my reloads

Played with my grip a bit. Still experimenting with trying to get higher and more forward, Vogel style, but I can't seem to make it work. End up twisting the sights off of straight, with an uncomfortable grip that feels much less secure. Lower doesn't have the leverage advantage but I can grip hard, solid, and consistent. hmmm...

Also played with my right hand position slightly as the back left corner of the beavertail area was starting to seriously hurt my thumb. massive callus there but i think it was just smacking straight into the bone. Shifted around a touch and it feels worlds better but I can't get my trigger finger where I like it on the trigger and have to use more of the tip. ill try to run it this way for a while and see if my trigger control/speed suffers as it feels like it might

Also got my new 5lb striker spring. Figured if Mr_White trusts it for reliability, I can probably do the same. Trigger is noticeably lighter and seems to have less of a wall and a bit more of a roll to it. that might be just because its lighter though. Either way, really liking it, especially working on some SHO/WHO.

#26 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

I tried the Vogel grip thing for a while. Meh.

Try: Slide your weak hand fingertips slightly further over your strong hand knuckles and crush your strong hand into the pistol grip.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#27 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

I tried the Vogel grip thing for a while. Meh.

Try: Slide your weak hand fingertips slightly further over your strong hand knuckles and crush your strong hand into the pistol grip.

I think I saw you post that in someone else's journal and it is awesome! That's what i was doing at the range and match las week and its definitely an big improvement on my recoil control. Best I've shot on the dot drill.

I just get periodic moments of weakness where I wish I could get my gun to run as flat as Vogel and I was playing with grip anyway to get my thumb to a less painful place. Screw it, back to the good stuff!
  • ZachJ likes this

#28 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

Went surfing instead of dryfiring this morning to give my hands a break. Small day but got some nice rides.

I think the Pro Shop has improved its shipping or something, targets are here already. Tonight my roommates will rue the sound falling mags and position entries...
  • Stubb likes this

#29 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

Went surfing instead of dryfiring this morning to give my hands a break. Small day but got some nice rides.

I think the Pro Shop has improved its shipping or something, targets are here already. Tonight my roommates will rue the sound falling mags and position entries...

Have you practices malfunction clearing yet? Racking the slide seems to be what grinds my folks' gears at night.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#30 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

Have you practices malfunction clearing yet? Racking the slide seems to be what grinds my folks' gears at night.

Ha! I like your style

I have a glock so I'm always resetting the trigger. Nice quick rack every few seconds no matter what drills I'm doing

#31 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

Ha! I like your style I have a glock so I'm always resetting the trigger. Nice quick rack every few seconds no matter what drills I'm doing

Put a rubber band or small o-ring in the ejection port and quit with that slide racking bullshit.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Surfer likes this

#32 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

Put a rubber band or small o-ring in the ejection port and quit with that slide racking bullshit.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I rack not because I should or must, but because I can.

Also is helping me get used to the Shadow's front slide, it's a glossy type of finish and it's extremely hard to get a decent hold of. It has front cocking serrations but they're not far forward enough like a tanfo's. I have to land the web of my hand just in front of them but not so far forward I get my fingers forward of the muzzle. At speed.

I am unafraid to miss.

#33 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Last time I shot a shadow and did that one of the sights took a chunk out of my hand. Still not sure how it happened. And what works the best for holding the ejection port open are hair ties that girls forget at your place in the morning.

#34 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

I can see that if you ram your hand forward into the front sight sliding it on the slide.

I am unafraid to miss.

#35 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

That's got to be it.

7am dry fire for 45min. Draws and reloads mostly and the same array, moving reload array as before.

Reload notes: seems a little more consistent. Gotta make sure I'm seating mags hard though, the practice mags slide in easy and I think I get lazy letting their momentum do the work for me sometimes which breeds bad habits. Stop that.
Requiring a good grip with the left hand seems to be improving as well.

Draw: stop chasing the gun. Haven't fully burned in the lower left hand position on the draw even though it's definitely better. Get the hand close to the holster and on the gun ASAP and come out from there. Much more secure and fewer screw ups. If I do it...
Also still finding a balance between a high hard grip with the right and being able to work the trigger. Can't seem to get both completely so I end up a hair lower than I'd like for recoil control so that I can move my trigger finger with any sort of speed. I'm guessing gripping hard will make up for it but it's annoying.

Mini-moving drill: seriously I suck at programming even a 12 shot stage I made myself and have done 20 times... Wtf. Kinda depressing. Will be doing a lot more like it with the new targets.

This does seem to be a good way to work on the skill though: set various targets around randomly and make up a way to run through them (doesn't have to make sense) to get the programming and execution practice. Also nice that I don't have to worry about setting up a perfect drill/stage with distances and a good plan, just throw them up and go for it. Seems more approachable that way and forces me to stick to a plan I made.

I'm giving a bit of the credit for stupidity to being up this early on 4h sleep. Makes it better practice for early matches though

Also noticed I really don't like entering low and hard on my left knee. Makes sense with several previous injuries but I hadn't realized I was favoring it as much before. I don't think it's an issue but interesting to note. Entering more relaxed and upright ended up faster anyway

#36 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

We've all got our pet collection of physical issues and partially recovered-from injuries. Knees aren't my long suit.

Find what works and run with it as best you can.
  • Surfer likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#37 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

About an hour of dryfire today Worked some of the marksmanship drills out of bens book and wrapped up with 4 aces and bill drills. Draw: distinctly noticed that the sights were ending up where I was looking on the 25yard draws, so if I got lazy and looked at a C or the edge of the A, that's where the sights go. Gotta make a point of looking directly at the right spot on both draws and transitions. I knew that but hadn't actually seen it happen before. Cool. Also worked on S/WHO draws and grip. Still need more consistency. Tried tucking my thumb downwards and putting pressure in with it which seemed to help stabilize the sights and make the grip feel a bit more solid. Will have to verify that live of course though. 4 aces: I have 2 seconds as the goal in my head but holy crap that's fast. At 2 yards jacked up on red bull maybe someday but... Damn. Bill Drill: really working on pushing my trigger speed, for some reason I can't seem to shoot splits under .19 or so. Especially weird cause with a SIRT, paintball gun, or Xbox controller, my trigger finger is faster than most. I think I need to isolate the finger more and not let tension from my grip slow it down. Felt a little progress in the drill so maybe there's hope.

#38 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

4 Aces in 2.0s: Make it a goal for a month or so and drive it down 0.1s at a time. If you get stuck take a few days off then pick it back up. Sometimes it takes a little time for the body to adapt and the mind to gel.

Splits haven't been a long suit for me. 0.20 is about as good as I run live fire and usually much slower. Fortunately I rarely need to run splits any faster. It will be interesting to see whether that is a breakable barrier for me tho.
  • Surfer likes this

In Doodie, Veritas.

#39 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hit 4 aces again for 30 min this morning. Finally got 2 runs under the 2 sec mark right at the end! I just couldn't let it totally beat me.

I think where I was losing time was breaking the first shot and after the second. Actual reload and draw speed didn't change but I'm pretty much hitting the trigger right as the gun gets out there on the draw and really trusting my index to have the sights on target. Generally they were where I needed them which is good cause I don't think there's time to refine them if they're not. Same kind of thing with the reload, I was wasting time on "follow through" or something after the second shot so I need to really dive for the mag as soon as the shot breaks.
Gotta stay more relaxed to move fast enough too.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#40 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Yesterday: not much time so just 30 minor draws and wide (90-180) transitions. If you do enough of them its kind of an ab workout! Gotta drive with the eyes...

Also listened to some Action Shooting Radio and Enos at work, getting on the mental game. ASR basically summarized "With Winning in Mind" as it applies to shooting sports. Very cool, definitely going to come back to that and actually start the book (thanks 007). Enos was Enos which is always something.

Today: moved dryfire to the back yard for 2 hours for some movement drills. Hopefully no neighbors see and freak.

Shooting on the move: felt ok but my sight pictures weren't very stable. Sweating buckets so my grip wasn't great but needs work. Also I seem to get visually lazy and just look in the general direction of the targets resulting in aiming in their general direction (true in all the drills today). If I can switch on the focus and really look where I want to shoot, there the sights will appear. I ended up looking in weird places a lot when shooting and moving and I'm not sure why. More practice needed.

Also not totally sure how to move while shooting or if I'm moving fast/far enough). If I'm moving parallel to the targets I end up wanting to cross my steps which seems like a bad idea (martial arts beat into me to never cross yourself up) but i can't really find an alternative. More experimenting and watching GMs is needed.

Entry and exit: felt ok. Needs practice to make it more of a subconscious thing, especially footwork on entry. Leading into the box with the inside food is definitely the way to go, smooth and stable as soon as I'm in and it shows on the timer. Exits felt... Weird. Not sure I figured the timing of this drill yet and didn't have time to keep working... Something to come back to and do more research (video watching) on as well.

Mental game note: Attempting to have a more positive outlook on myself and my shooting. I can and will learn to shoot like a GM and I will dominate every challenge along the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users