#41 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

Local 2 gun match today.

Rifle is frustrating, shooting a borrowed AR means not practice with it ever. Height over bore isn't a thing I think of much...

Pistol portion went ok, had to re-lube my gun and got oil all over the grip. Not helpful. Also went full retard missing super close steel like a jackass 2 different times. Ugh.

Overall, plans were good and went pretty well. Felt all right on movement and transitions as well.

Gotta work on trigger speed, I really suck at fast splits and a REALLY heavy activator needed some fast shots to trip and I took a full mag to do it. Local match so no big deal missing out but something that needs work

#42 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hour of dry fire today and a thorough gun cleaning after dropping it in the dirt. dumb.

Did a lot of 4 aces, distance draws, and reloads.

Had a bit of an epiphany with reloads doing the 6-R-6-R-6 drill. something clicked in getting the mag out of the pouch and up faster than i have before, almost a feeling of snapping it right up there. i think I'm getting my left hand moving earlier and spending less time acquiring a grip on the mag. not sure but i could consistently hit a reload in under 1 sec which has always been a breaking point. it felt like there was way more time to get it all done. i also noticed I'm bruising the crap out of the first knuckles on that hand (towards the tip) so maybe pimp slapping the mag pouches isn't the perfect technique...

still need to get better about reacquiring a solid left hand grip afterwards.

gonna have to drill this a lot this week, I'm not sure what changed but i want to burn it in.

#43 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I need to do less on 4 aces and more on 6R6R6. Trigger finger needs limbering up. And...add a step on the reload.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#44 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Yesterday: draws and reloads for an hour, trying not to lose the speed I found on them. Took a bit of warming up to get into them but definitely feeling faster and smoother. Cool.

Today: trigger control and SHO/WHO for 20 min this morning.

My trigger feels really shitty and its driving my nuts, I've detail stripped and cleaned everything 3 times and I can't figure it out. It feels like it gained about a pound and the break is stagey now where it was light and totally smooth before. WTF!

Gun took a dirt bath last match and the trigger got real bad with all the dirt so I hosed it full of oil to get it useable for 2 stages. Cleaned it when I got home but the break sucks ass now...

#45 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Gun took a dirt bath last match and the trigger got real bad with all the dirt so I hosed it full of oil to get it useable for 2 stages. Cleaned it when I got home but the break sucks ass now...

It's a Glock. Lock the slide back and run it through the dish washer.

• Surfer likes this

#46 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Gunscrubber, compressed air, CLP aerosol, compressed air. Factory new in 5 minutes. 8 bucks a can seems pricey, but saves an hour or two detail cleaning dirty as fuck guns. Or if I feel like being nice to the environment, ultrasonic cleaner in place of gun scrubber.

#47 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

The thing is I'm not even sure where else to clean, i did a pretty thorough job on it with 3 full detail strips. I've run this gun close to 5,000 rounds without cleaning with no real issues but one little dump in the dust fucks with it... strip #4 commences shortly. I'm really appreciating the simplicity of the glock design

Were I less poor, an ultrasonic cleaner would be the only way to go. Cleaning guns is as dumb as mowing a lawn, eats time, usually serves no purpose and its just going to be nasty again next week. screw that noise.

• Stubb and barry owens like this

#48 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Did you try the gunscrubber / break cleaner route? Probably shit in the trigger pivot, possibly in the firing pin block if you got shit in the slide.

#49 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

Someone shit in your gun?

What a butthole.
  • Surfer, GuruOfGuns and ToddKS like this

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#50 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

Did you try the gunscrubber / break cleaner route? Probably shit in the trigger pivot, possibly in the firing pin block if you got shit in the slide.

Not yet, out of town for a few days. Didn't get into the trigger pivot yet, that's a good idea. It just took a nose dive into the dirt so I don't think it got much in the slide and I cleaned in there anyway. Almost feels like rubbing on the trigger bar but can't find anything

What a butthole.

Huh and here I thought buttholes were for other things

#51 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Finally back to training. Did about 45 min of tune up, draws, loads, and entry/exit

Amazing how much rust shows up taking anew days off, consistency especially seems to go down fast.

Figured out my trigger issues as well I think, there was crap in the slot in the plastic housing for the rear trigger assembly (idk the name) that was getting it gritty so a more accurate cleaning and some oil and it's much better

#52 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

What a butthole.

Wonder if he lives close to a golf course?

• Surfer and barry owens like this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#53 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

Finally back to training. Did about 45 min of tune up, draws, loads, and entry/exit

Amazing how much rust shows up taking anew days off, consistency especially seems to go down fast.

Figured out my trigger issues as well I think, there was crap in the slot in the plastic housing for the rear trigger assembly (idk the name) that was getting it gritty so a more accurate cleaning and some oil and it's much better

I hope you don't mean the firing pin sleeve, you shouldn't oil that part. Dry firing is also very hard on that part so it needs to be checked often.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#54 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:07 PM

I hope you don't mean the firing pin sleeve, you shouldn't oil that part. Dry firing is also very hard on that part so it needs to be checked often.

nah in the frame, the piece the connector is in, sleeve is nice and dry. what should i look for on the sleeve though?

i hadn't heard of that being an issue with dryfire

#55 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

Finally updating!

just been busy, trying to get an hour in a day but not always making it. seems to be paying off though

livefire session friday, worked on long shots, the dots, and reloading between positions with my shooting buddy. interesting stuff, we both seemed to find it faster to just run as fast as possible and kinda do the reload as best you can on the way vs hit a fast reload and then run which i thought was how ben recommended doing it. i could be wrong on that though

saturday match: practicing seemed to help my consistency a lot, fewer really stupid moments or botched reloads. I did have one reload go wrong when the rim of the case stuck on the grip plug in the back. I'm going to experiment with reshaping the plug to prevent that as i think its happened that way before but i didn't realize what was going on. never saw it dry because i use weighted dummy mags from my sirt and they have no case rim to get caught...probably need some weighted dummy rounds to use with a real mag sometime too.

had a malfunction on stage 6 that made me think i had run dry and do a useless reload that screwed with my plan. should have got back on it better but it happened early and got in my head. sucks cause my shooting felt solid but the rest sucked

stage 5 ate my lunch. knocked a mag off a barrel that i had to pick up, forgot a target and ran way back for it and then threw a mike on it, shot texas stars starting on the bottom or side... just a bunch of fail there.

classifier stage 1 went mostly ok, just dropped a C which was lame and then totally missed my footing coming into the second box which cost me a lot of time waiting to get on target. ugh. still looks like it'll be a B class run so ill take it for now, gotta start somewhere. 1 more classifier and I'll be something so thats fun.

For an initial classification do they just use the first 4 up? I have 2 around 70% and a big fat 0.5% on one so I think I'm just about guaranteed to be a D. lame

https://youtu.be/w6P7-h4nAeI

• GuanoLoco likes this

#56 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Watching the video it looks like you grip is not consistent. There are times where the muzzle is really jumping and other times where the gun is relatively flat. Just an observation.
  • Surfer likes this

#57 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

Watching the video it looks like you grip is not consistent. There are times where the muzzle is really jumping and other times where the gun is relatively flat. Just an observation.

This seems to be true, thanks, I'll have to work more on that. Kinda just realized (again) what a really tight grip is so I need to get that every time

#58 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

Dragged my dad to his first IDPA match today. He had fun and I got to beat up some old dudes. Not sure I leaned much but it was good times

• Stubb likes this

#59 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

I'm jealous. My dad croaked a long while back from the cancer at 55. I think he would have made a good IDPA dude.
  • Surfer likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#60 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm jealous. My dad croaked a long while back from the cancer at 55. I think he would have made a good IDPA dude.

rough man, sorry to hear it. 

IDPA, sport of dads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users