Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Ok finally getting back to training

20 min dryfire today, little bit of everything just to get back into it

New goal of 21 days of dryfire straight to form the habit.

#62 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

Update finally

Life has been getting in the way of practice. Getting back on it now

Match Saturday:
Shooting mechanics were ok, good accuracy. Draws and reloads a bit slow and sloppy, transitions kinda blew. Lack of practice shows, subconscious control of the gun just isn't there

Mental game sucked balls. Just felt off the whole time, not in the game. Plans were ok but execution was slow and just had no confidence. As soon as the buzzer went off it started feeling like "what am I supposed to be doing? Oh yeah right..." Gun malfunctions didn't help with a failure to extract, one botched slide lock reload that jammed up, and a casing that split perfectly in half, ejecting the rear half and having the front stay in the chamber and jam up the next round and the one I tried to rack in after. Really got to get my backup gun set up better, stock glock sights and a 7lb trigger aren't fun.

Lessons?
Practice
Make better ammo
Lube my gun (lol)
Set up backup gun soon

#63 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Alright I'm back. Took some time off as life got crazy. New job, new city, etc. Time off was good, I'm motivated and I'll have a bit better training budget now.

First match back felt good. Been shooting my work gun with a 10lb NY trigger so jumping into the match gun I had a few shots on the first stage that went off a hair earlier than expected and clipped a no shoot. Oops.

Otherwise felt surprisingly solid, accuracy was good andstage plans went well aside from one nearly skipped target I went back for.

Only issue was a malfunction just about every stage. Borrowed a friends reloads which are super light for his shadow and they just won't run the 34. Oh well.

To work on:
Do stuff faster. I'm still just kind of slow on things, especially position entry/exit and aggressive movement. This felt a bit better than average for me but it needs work.

Mental game. I expected to do poorly since I hadn't been practicing and I think the lack of expectations was beneficial. Something to keep in mind. Fairly simple stage designs also helped.

Video coming soon
  • GuanoLoco likes this

#64 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Video. Comments appreciated

• GuanoLoco likes this

#65 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

I think you are a quick little rabbit with a lot of potential but you need to unfuck your gun and stage/reload planning.
  • Surfer likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#66 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

you need to unfuck your gun and stage/reload planning.

True story. Thanks buddy!

#67 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

Generally easier to work bottom to top for stacked targets. That way your blaster doesn't obscure the next target. You did this a few times but not others. Try to avoid standing up when you enter a position only to have to bend your knees again before leaving.

• Surfer likes this

#68 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

You shooting reloads? Your own? Might be time to learn the basics of making ammo fit in gun.

Can't be a gun problem because Glock perfection - I have never seen a Glock choke that much ever.

Even when I was using worn out mag springs with +2 extensions.

#69 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:23 PM

I believe he mentioned shooting borrowed reloads that were intended for his friends undersprung wonder gun.

#70 Maxamundo

Maxamundo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

The loads were 125gr blue bullet, ~3.5gr titegroup, federal gm100M pistol match primers, 1.090" OAL (short for CZ), crimped with Lee factory crimp die.

I chronoed them out of my shadow (4.7") at about a 970 average or 121 PF. Made way too many by mistake with this low charge and use them for 3 gun and practice. Out of a G34 (5.3") they should be going over 1000 but it could depend. Probably extremely close to 125 or just under.

They've been running flawlessly in my undersprung wonder gun (shadow 11# spring). I was using the same loads in my match video.

Maybe this info will be interesting to somebody.

#71 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

Yeah ammo that doesn't make PF will not cycle a factory sprung Glock. TLDR the rest.

Now, get an 11 lb recoil spring in that bad boy and lighten the load up a bit more and you'll be cooking. If you hit a chrono just tell them you accidentally brought your steel challenge ammo.

#72 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

It's running a 13lb right now, haven't tried 11, is it worth going lighter?

Since I got it this gun has hated light loads regardless of the springing I've tried.

#73 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

Bump the loads up a little. My hands can't tell the difference between a 125 PF load and a 135 PF load. Perhaps that is why I am still C class?
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#74 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Bump the loads up a little. My hands can't tell the difference between a 125 PF load and a 135 PF load. Perhaps that is why I am still C class?

There isn't a difference.

#75 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

It's running a 13lb right now, haven't tried 11, is it worth going lighter?

Only if you want to cheat. I used a 13#. I also shot ammo that made 135 PF.

#76 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

yeah my loads are about 135 and run pretty well but my press needs to get sent in and fixed so i was shooting borrowed ammo

#77 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

What did you do to you press that requires a trip to the OEM?

#78 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

What did you do to you press that requires a trip to the OEM?

If I knew, it would be working right now!

Its a square deal b and the shell plate intermittently locks up hard on the arm that is supposed to rotate it. its like the arm has too much play and gets out of place but everything looks ok, is assembled correctly and well lubed. Dillon guys on the phone were great and sent replacement parts but that didn't fix it either so they said send it in. It'll go soon, I've just been too busy lately

#79 M91196

M91196

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

If I knew, it would be working right now!

Its a square deal b and the shell plate intermittently locks up hard on the arm that is supposed to rotate it. its like the arm has too much play and gets out of place but everything looks ok, is assembled correctly and well lubed. Dillon guys on the phone were great and sent replacement parts but that didn't fix it either so they said send it in. It'll go soon, I've just been too busy lately

Did you take it off the bench and take it all the way apart via remove the disassembly pin?

Can't image you couldn't get it running.

#80 Surfer

Surfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Good practice session Tuesday, about 250 rounds. As my previous videos show, stage planning and execution are probably my greatest issue in matches so we tried to work through by running some mini stages. We ran them once, critiqued areas of improvement, ran it again, more critiques and a few dry runs focused on those areas and then another run live.

My theory is that by feeling what it is like to really know the plan, stick to it, and move as fast as I can, I'll have more of a baseline of what I want to be able to do on demand in matches. Im not sure this exact formula is the most efficient way to improve that but I definitely felt a difference. Our stages were about 20rnds and about 15-20 seconds long. On every one I cut 2-3 seconds or more off almost entirely by executing with more confidence. My times were within a few tenths of my training buddy (Maxamundo) who usually destroys me on speed.

It was particularly interesting to me that I could pretty much tell before my run if it would be a good one. Stages where I felt iffy on a part of my plan usually went to shit right in that part where the ones I felt the most sure of went great. Now to replicate that on the first run in a match...

Speed at this practice and the last match really felt good to me, I don't know why but I've felt like I've been overly restrained in my shooting and moving in the name of control to the point where I end up overthinking and moving slowly. Finally getting those training wheels off or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users