• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:14 AM

10/6/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 1st of 2 - 100%
Overall - 1st of 13 - 100%

Well I won an indoor match. I don't think I shot very competently- felt slow, wasn't on my game. Pulled a mike into the hardcover shooting strong hand which is atypical for me, I made it up on the weak hand portion but of course that's a procedural for extra shot. It was enough to win, but oh well.

#62 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:16 AM

10/7/2015

Dryfire Report

Started with component transitions and went to a full transition drill. It's nice to do learning drills sometimes to refresh them fundamentals.

After that I designed a quick stage based around tight movement in my house. Mini stages like this will help me with my explosive movement. I see that too often I move with full strides, which is sloow for short distances, I need to make quick, short foot movements.

Misc

Have a 3 gun match this weekend that I'm going to and I gotta decide what I want to take. I suppose I should DF with irons some so I look a little more like I know what I'm doing.

#63 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

10/9/2015

Dryfire Report

Did 3 gun stuff in prep for the weekend. Halfheartedly tossed shells into my shotgun to refresh, did DA/SA with my USP, and made sure the SCAR was still on target. Just about as much work as I wanna put in for funhaving.

#64 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

10/10/2015

Match Report

HK USP45 / FN SCAR 17s / Stoeger M3000
Heavy Optics Div - 1st - 100%
Overall - 23 of 68 - 70.875%
Raw time 465.24 + 12.5 seconds for penalties

I shot Custer's once-yearly Z-Pocalypse charity match for Toys for Tots. We raised I think about $8500 for charity and had some fun. The weather was crazy, it alternated between nice, very windy, and pouring rain. Poppers and props were blowing over and I got soaked. I won because shooting heavy is like shooting in L10, you have nobody to beat but yourself.

I thought I shot okay, I can't really drop praise or take my criticisms too seriously when I just don't practice with my rifle or shotgun at all. I made a bunch of mistakes, mostly related to stage planning and target engagement. Going back to shooting irons with no warmup is a trip, though, I can't hit anything. What are these things on the top of the gun? You have to line them up?? Also the paddle mag release on the USP gives me trouble. I engage it with my middle finger and it's easy to miss. And you really have to not cheat on your grip when shooting .45!

Stage 3 was my favorite. You had 3 heads with a marker under each to tell you what gun to use and knocked over one head at a time. The barrels blowing over during my run just made it more dramatic.

Back to USPSA.

#65 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

10/11/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 1st of 7 - 100%
Overall - 2nd of 54 - 96.918%
Classifier 09-09 "Lightning and Thunder" - 82 HF - 91.11%
689 of 760 available points - 99A 5B 44C 4D 1NS - 90.66% (91.97% without penalties)

First match as A. I accomplished a mini-goal today, winning a weekend club match. I knew I could probably do it when everyone was off at nats. :D

I managed to shoot another M-score on the classifier. I don't think I racked my gun at the make ready but I still got the 6 shots on target before the buzzer. I think racing it knocked me out of a 95%, since I accepted charlies to race the par time. Derrrp. I had a NS on stage 5 which was disappointing. Rolled right in and shot carelessly at a partial and ate the NS first shot.

I hope I will be M soon?

#66 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:09 AM

10/12/2015

Dryfire Report

I was really tired today so I just tossed up El Prez. I was really sloppy to start but once I got warmed up I found I was edging inside the 3.5 par! I even felt like I was in control and not moving crazy fast. That excites me. I did it for about 30 minutes, nailing it every time, but then I started to get tired and got sloppy with my reloads so I called it for the day.

#67 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

You gonna shoot marysville Sunday?
I am gonna see if I can. Will be first match since spring if I can. First time shooting the cz in months.

#68 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

You gonna shoot marysville Sunday?
I am gonna see if I can. Will be first match since spring if I can. First time shooting the cz in months.

Yep! You should come!

10/14/2015

Dryfire Report

Did movement practice, particularly with starting off with long strides and ending with quick steps at a fault line. I watched that open super squad video from nats and was wanting to try some of the pro movement techniques.

I noticed Max Michel has a strategy of coming into a fault line with his heel, shooting, and then using his heel to push off the fault line. Simple idea but surprisingly effective.

#69 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

10/15/2015

Livefire Report

Shot a couple stages today for practice. I ended up minorly pulling my right quad and it didn't agree with this whole practicing thing anymore, so I didn't do a lot. I'm gonna have to take it easy with the movement for awhile... which isn't easy.

Misc

I am officially A-class. Also at a higher percentage than I thought due to how the classifiers slotted into the update.

MCOVrJo.jpg

1%'s not that hard right?

• Stubb likes this

#70 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

Nice!!!
  • NickBlasta likes this

#71 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

10/16/2015

Dryfire Report

To keep things easy on my quad I did some SHO/WHO at first and then blake drills. My surrender to WHO transition was a little spotty so I wanted to work on that. Tightened it up pretty well by the end.

#72 ThumblessKorean

ThumblessKorean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

LOOOK WATT I Found!!

This is why you come up on the top of the match results :D

• NickBlasta likes this

#73 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:46 AM

LOOOK WATT I Found!!

This is why you come up on the top of the match results :D

You found my secret. Hey man, very fitting avatar. :lol:

10/18/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 3rd of 16 - 88.995%
Open A - 1st of 6
Overall - 3rd of 54 - 88.987%
Classifier 99-13 "Quicky II" (15A 3B 6C 15.67s) - 7.0836 HF - 67.46%
904 of 970 available points - 148A 6B 36C 3D 1M - 93.19% (94.74% without penalties)

Felt like I had a good match. I couldn't do quite what I wanted on several stages with my pulled quad- I had to rein it in pretty hard to keep from straining it again, but a lot of the stages were stand and shoot or more technical limited movement so I could hang.

I sucked out loud on the classifier which is very disappointing. Fumbled my reloads pretty bad. At least it's low enough that it won't count against my average.

#74 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:47 AM

10/19/2015

Dryfire Report

After yesterday I decided to target reloads again. Did 6-reload-6-reload-6 for awhile and felt pretty good about it. I can do about 4.8 seconds without missing the magwell or fumbling.

One thing I forgot to mention in the match report from Sunday is that I'm starting to realize, as I get more experienced, that I have a real problem with shooting cold. My first stage is invariably my worst, and my last stage is usually one of the best, with a sliding scale of worst to best as I move through the match. This is a problem.

#75 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

10/20/2015

Dryfire Report

Had some interesting ideas on helping the cold start. I think I might try doing a stretch routine before the first stage, to warm up my muscles, and maybe do a couple full-speed walkthroughs to get my brain in gear. Because it's not just being physically cold, it's mentally cold too. We'll see if this helps.

Today I basically practiced the classifier I failed on on Sunday, Quicky II, since it's revealed a weakness I can target. Mostly this consisted of 3 targets, engaging them, reloading and transitioning to SHO/WHO. I know what I did wrong- in livefire I was attempting the reload while dropping into my offhand stance, bad idea. In dryfire I reloaded and then dropped into the stance on the hand transition, much faster. I was able to nail it in DF. One thing I noticed is I'm getting more comfortable using my left eye for WHO rather than bringing the gun over a bit to find the dot with my dominant eye. It feels a lot smoother in practice and I have fewer moments where I have to shuffle to find the dot. Interesting!

#76 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

10/21/2015

Dryfire Report

Tossed up good old Prez today and ran through it a bunch. I think I like to use this drill as a benchmark for my shooting ability. When I started I could barely scrape 4 seconds, now I can nail it really well in 3.3. Fun stuff.

10/22/2015

Dryfire Report

Draws and reloads focus today, started with bill drills and then went to blake drills and blakes with reloads. I think I'm gonna work on changing my hand position for my draw. Previously I would index my hand on the optic with my thumb on the lens housing. Now, if I have my wrist on the magazine floorplate, it's considerably less movement/less awkward. Gonna see if I can switch.

#77 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

10/24/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 5th of 21 - 87.139%
Open A - 1st
Overall - 5th of 107 - 87.195%
Classifier 06-04 "Fluffy's Revenge 1" (6A 1B 1C 3.12s) - 12.1795 HF - 82.13%
623 of 685 available points - 89A 19B 24C 3D 2M 1NS 1P - 85.11% (90.95% without penalties)

I decided to go down to Oregon for a match because I'd be leaving basically the next day for vacation. I like to shoot, okay?! It was an interesting match and I didn't shoot particularly well, there were several cases where I didn't take enough care for shooting at partials. I also hate it when people decide to use a random squad order on every stage. Just go one down each time, jeez. But I shot a little above exactly the score I needed on the classifier to (by my calculations) make M next month.

Since this is an outdated update I'll mention I went on vacation right after and didn't do any gun-stuff at all. A lil' break has me jonesing for shootin'.

#78 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hey it was great to meet you and get to shoot together. Looking forward to the next time!
  • NickBlasta likes this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#79 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:40 AM

11/7/2015

Livefire Report

Haven't touched a gun in two weeks! I was in NYC and apparently they frown on that kind of thing there? Now that I'm home again I decided to head out to a range that had been recommended to me. It's a quiet range about an hour away but they have some little action bays so it might be suitable for practice. I didn't spend a lot of time there because they gave me an orientation for like an hour, but I did practice after that for about 300 rounds. I fired mostly drills with my old Limited gun, it's always weird to go back to, but I plan to shoot Limited tomorrow at the match as kind of a fun offseason thing. Hopefully with this new range I can LF more frequently.

#80 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

11/8/2015

Match Report

Limited Div - 7th of 23 - 70.18%
Limited B - 1st of 2
Overall - 23rd of 53 - 58.37%
Classifier 99-47 "Triple Choice" (10A 1C 4M 18.42s) - 0.76 HF - 12.11%
565 of 620 available points - 93A 23C 4D 4M - 84.68% (91.13% without penalties)

I didn't end up using my G35 after all, but for fun I ended up trading gear with one of our Limited GMs. I used his Glock 24 setup and he used my Open gun. It was pretty fun, and I did okay other than being rusty shooting a gun with irons. I sucked out loud on the classifier on the weak hand portion, all but zeroed it. Interesting classifier though, haven't shot that one before. It was a fun off-season diversion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users