#21 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

NRA D1 has a D zone? X,10,8,5 is what I see. Admittedly it's been ages since I shot my one and only GSSF match so please explain.

For the record I think the D1 is the best target without a head. 

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#22 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:12 PM

In GSSF X and 10 = A/B zone (no penalty), 8 = C (+1 second or .5 PVH), 5 =D (+3 seconds or 1.5 PVH)

#23 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Just got back from the gunny match.  Shot two entries like a retard.  Second two entries went better.  64.xx in Heavy Metal and 47.xx in Major Sub.  Might be in the money.

I do NOT like shooting in the rain.  

#24 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

In GSSF X and 10 = A/B zone (no penalty), 8 = C (+1 second or .5 PVH), 5 =D (+3 seconds or 1.5 PVH)

Thank you.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#25 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

NRA D1 has a D zone? X,10,8,5 is what I see. Admittedly it's been ages since I shot my one and only GSSF match so please explain.

For the record I think the D1 is the best target without a head. 

Sorry... meant to put this pic on there.

nra-d1-with-gssf-scoring.jpg

I like my Glocks like I like my women; 19 and in my pants.

#26 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for all of the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#27 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:26 PM

Now Amateurs and Masters are awarded prizes separately, and there are less than 10 Masters in Unlimited at the GSSF matches I attend. So the prize is $100, but it only goes to 1st place.

Whoa, they caught me sleeping. There's a local who's hard to beat in Unlimited and I'm just throwing away money and ammo. And I guess I threw away money on a C-More mount.

Shoot the plates last.

No, shoot plates first, M next, 5 to Glock last. Assuming you warm up and shoot better as you go along. Plates are the least important stage and don't decide anything. (Except the 6 round divisions.) The match is won or lost on the long targets of 5tG.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#28 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

I've done the best shooting the paper first and plate's last.

I did shoot my .380 first the last time... one shot each slowed me down a little bit.

#29 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

No, shoot plates first, M next, 5 to Glock last. Assuming you warm up and shoot better as you go along. Plates are the least important stage and don't decide anything. (Except the 6 round divisions.) The match is won or lost on the long targets of 5tG.

I'm going to try that next time.  I have always shot the plates last.  I just looked back at my scores and there is never more than a couple seconds difference in my best to worst plate rack stages.  

#30 ZackJones

ZackJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

I skimmed through the rules and it looks like you can only clean up/polish stock Glock parts so my DK trigger and other goodies would have to come out. I may just shoot my Open Glock 17 to get some experience shooting the match.
Not to be confused with ZachJ

#31 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

I'm going to try that next time.  I have always shot the plates last.  I just looked back at my scores and there is never more than a couple seconds difference in my best to worst plate rack stages.  

Exactly. Look at the top Ms and the time spread on the plates is a few seconds, what you will give away with one bad shot on 5 to Glock.

Team F.T.P.

#32 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

I'm going to shoot my first GSSF match next month. What kind of tips can you guys pass on?

GSSF tips:

The 8" circle is the true target throughout the whole match, on the plates, the poppers, and the NRA D1 targets. There is nothing worthwhile to do but shoot that 8" circle all day long.

The scoring system is more than twice as punitive as IDPA for inaccurate shots.

See every sight picture, call every shoot. Shoot the center of every target with every shot.

Dispense with ideas of 'this target is closer, so I can go faster or push a little.' As soon as you toss a single +1, it will not be worth it.

Shoot the center of every target with every shot.

I personally do best treating the 5 - 10 yard targets carefully like they are all at ~10 yards, and the 15 - 25 yard targets really carefully like they are all at ~25 yards.

If your gun malfunctions, you are supposed to get a reshoot. You are supposed to be allowed this reshoot once per stage. So if your gun malfunctions (first time only), stand there looking stupid and don't clear it and continue. You should get a reshoot. After the first time, clear it and drive on because you are not supposed to get repeated reshoots.

Most of the best GSSF shooters in my area shoot the Plates, then Glock'M (mixed paper and steel), then 5 to Glock (the all paper longer range stage.) Their logic seems to be to warm up on plates, where as long as you don't miss so much as to leave plates standing, there is little cost to misses - just the time to make them up. I do the opposite. I have a lot easier time starting really tight on 5 to Glock, then turning up the gas a little as I shoot Glock'M, and then I can put the hammer down on the plates. The one time I tried it their way I was sorry I did - was too sloppy on 5 to Glock. For me, the match is generally won or lost on 5 to Glock.

Know your POA/POI, especially if you are shooting multiple guns and loads. Nothing more annoying than a sweet ass tight group in the -1/-3 because you aimed in the wrong place.

Follow the designated squadding procedure or your match might take a really long time.

You should shoot the center of every target with every shot.

Did I mention that you will get the best score if you shoot the center of every target with every shot?
  • Linkscoach likes this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#33 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

The only thing I could add to this tip is to not lose your mind and forget to shoot the center of every target with every shot.

I can see how a dude with ice water in his veins, like Mr. White,  might do better shooting the plates last.  I'm going to try the other way and see if it calms my jitters down.

#34 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

I definitely seem to be in the minority on which order to shoot the stages.

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

#35 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

I definitely seem to be in the minority on which order to shoot the stages.

I thought you were in the majority with shooting the plates last.  There is a good chance that I have been led astray by the rocket surgeons on Glock Talk that think breaking a hundred is pretty baller.  

#36 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

I shot the order you described (plates last) and I believe that was the right choice for me. I will shoot them in the same order next time.

#37 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

It may work differently for different people. Yard Sale is a good data point too. So that's a national level GM and all the top GSSF shooters (including Chuck, another national level GM) in my area besides me, who start with the plates.

#38 RockOutGLOCKOut

RockOutGLOCKOut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationA5

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

"Know your POA/POI, especially if you are shooting multiple guns and loads. Nothing more annoying than a sweet ass tight group in the -1/-3 because you aimed in the wrong place."

I fucked myself with this at a match earlier this year.   Ate way to many penalties in with really tight groups because I figured "I'll just hold a little low with this gun", KNOWING it hit a little higher than my others.    I ordered the correct height sight the next day.

#39 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

OK, boomer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

I used to shoot plates last. A good run for me is 2.55, a bad run is 3.55, a disaster is 4.0. Still less than one bad hit (+3 seconds) on paper.

If you have stock sights or night sights, black them out with a sharpie. It will come off with brake cleaner on a Q tip or rag. Stock rears can be turned backward to be all black.

LOL, national level GM.

Okay-GIFS.gif

Team F.T.P.

#40 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

I always shoot plates last cause I need to be comfy with the recoil and bounce from one plate to the next. I don't ever get to practice on a real plate rack, so that is my most nerve racking stage. I do well if I can break 14 seconds.

I like 52g, glock M, then plates

Or sometimes glock m, then 52g, then plates.

Last month I shot g26 subcompact for 54.xx
With two d"s that I instantly regretted and knew.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GSSF, Glock Perfection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users