267 replies to this topic

#21 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

There still is no effort by the board to communicate to the SCs and the SCs to communicate to the MDs what the fuck is happening.

Maybe this is just me, thinking I'm a special snowflake, but there is some effort.  But it's personal effort, not anything institutional.

I send an email out to all the clubs and SCs in Area-1 before every Board meeting, after every Board meeting, and whenever something noteworthy happens in between.  I ask for input on the published agenda, I invite people to comment or share a position on what we're planning to do, and afterwards I offer up my perspective on why things went they way they did.  I send out to about 120 addressees (~12 SCs, ~57 clubs, a bunch of MDs, all the RMs in Area-1, and a few others, like past SCs, Angry Chuck, and people that have asked to be added).  On average I get maybe 5 responses.  Maybe 10 if I ask a "please give me a yay or nay on this" question, like "should we give Production Optics a try?". 

Not sure if that means nobody cares, or they're all laser-focused on local issues and putting on good matches for their shooters, or they're sick of hearing from me and wish I'd shut up and EABOD, or whatever.  It kinda feels like an echo chamber sometimes.  Especially when, later, some of those same folks complain that "nobody told them what was happening".

$.02

• Miculek is a Noob, Mike Foley and JohnnySr like this

Disclaimer: I post here as an individual member of USPSA, and speak only for myself...

#22 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

Have budgets been done on time?

The agenda for a September 3rd "Special Meeting" has been posted on uspsa.org

Item #1 is "Budget review and approval"

Disclaimer: I post here as an individual member of USPSA, and speak only for myself...

#23 Sprewell

Sprewell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationBanned

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

The 2016 budget, right?

#24 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Maybe this is just me, thinking I'm a special snowflake, but there is some effort.  But it's personal effort, not anything institutional.

I send an email out to all the clubs and SCs in Area-1 before every Board meeting, after every Board meeting, and whenever something noteworthy happens in between.  I ask for input on the published agenda, I invite people to comment or share a position on what we're planning to do, and afterwards I offer up my perspective on why things went they way they did.  I send out to about 120 addressees (~12 SCs, ~57 clubs, a bunch of MDs, all the RMs in Area-1, and a few others, like past SCs, Angry Chuck, and people that have asked to be added).  On average I get maybe 5 responses.  Maybe 10 if I ask a "please give me a yay or nay on this" question, like "should we give Production Optics a try?". 

Not sure if that means nobody cares, or they're all laser-focused on local issues and putting on good matches for their shooters, or they're sick of hearing from me and wish I'd shut up and EABOD, or whatever.  It kinda feels like an echo chamber sometimes.  Especially when, later, some of those same folks complain that "nobody told them what was happening".

$.02

The day our club contact or MD gets an email like you are describing, I'm quite positive they will faint over dead of complete surprise.
  • ZackJones likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#25 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

I know, I actually read the uspsa.org website.

I know the answer to my question, but I wanted someone in authority, namely an HQ employee or BoD member to answer it.

#26 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

One more off the cuff comment. In my experience, when someone refers to someone as being "super smart, like genius smart" it usually reflects more on the person making the comment than the person being referred to.

Bruce, if you're a member of Mensa my apologies.
  • bgary likes this

#27 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Bruce

When I was trying to get Production Optics on the agenda and then approved, I typically emailed all 8 AD's and the President. Ocassionally I received a response from a AD, I never received one from the president. Like the response or not, I always received one from A1

Kudos to Bruce

#28 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

I've taken the test, just for grins, but made sure to sleep in a Holiday Inn Express the night before just to cover my bases.   <g>

#29 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

The day our club contact or MD gets an email like you are describing, I'm quite positive they will faint over dead of complete surprise.

Feel free to forward their contact info.  Even if not in Area-1, I'd be happy to add them to my list.  Maybe it will piss off motivate their own AD enough to join the movement... <evil grin>

• LeadChucker likes this

#30 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Feel free to forward their contact info.  Even if not in Area-1, I'd be happy to add them to my list.  Maybe it will piss off motivate their own AD enough to join the movement... <evil grin>

PM sent.
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#31 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

PM Sent
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#32 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

One more off the cuff comment. In my experience, when someone refers to someone as being "super smart, like genius smart" it usually reflects more on the person making the comment than the person being referred to.

Who told you that?  ;)

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#33 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Who told you that? ;)

Who told me what?

#34 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Maybe this is just me, thinking I'm a special snowflake, but there is some effort. But it's personal effort, not anything institutional.

I send an email out to all the clubs and SCs in Area-1 before every Board meeting, after every Board meeting, and whenever something noteworthy happens in between. I ask for input on the published agenda, I invite people to comment or share a position on what we're planning to do, and afterwards I offer up my perspective on why things went they way they did. I send out to about 120 addressees (~12 SCs, ~57 clubs, a bunch of MDs, all the RMs in Area-1, and a few others, like past SCs, Angry Chuck, and people that have asked to be added). On average I get maybe 5 responses. Maybe 10 if I ask a "please give me a yay or nay on this" question, like "should we give Production Optics a try?".

Not sure if that means nobody cares, or they're all laser-focused on local issues and putting on good matches for their shooters, or they're sick of hearing from me and wish I'd shut up and EABOD, or whatever. It kinda feels like an echo chamber sometimes. Especially when, later, some of those same folks complain that "nobody told them what was happening".

$.02

USPSA needs a good dose of process engineering and continuous improvement to capture, automate and incrementally improve on such processes at the organizational, area, section and club levels.

How about hiring someone who actually understands and can execute on this type of thing, and who is willing to eat heir own dog food while doing it. This should be a core competency of the organization, yet it appears to be anything but.

Nationals for example: Where is the project plan / schedule that shows all the crap that needs to be done from soup to nuts, including lead times for contracts, approvals, etc. that can be refined and repeated by others?

Or, does every Prez just get to figure it out from scratch every time (or not, and delegate it to save face)?
  • Will and Mike Foley like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#35 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

USPSA needs a good dose of process engineering and continuous improvement to capture, automate and incrementally improve on such processes at the organizational, area, section and club levels.

How about hiring someone who actually understands and can execute on this type of thing, and who is willing to eat heir own dog food while doing it. This should be a core competency of the organization, yet it appears to be anything but.

Nationals for example: Where is the project plan / schedule that shows all the crap that needs to be done from soup to nuts, including lead times for contracts, approvals, etc. that can be refined and repeated by others?

Ain't nobody got time for all that!

• Miculek is a Noob and effbomb like this

#36 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Or, does every Prez just get to figure it out rfom scratch every time (or not, and delegate it to save face)?

IMO, communication at a broad scale is not even that complicated.  In my case, it took about an hour of mining the website to build my email list, and from then on it is a trivial amount of time to "communicate" - I just send an email, like I do 100 times a day.  It used to be even easier.  Back in the 2000s, we used a "yahoo group" for broadcast emails.  People could opt-in to the group by registering their email address, and then everything sent to the group was forwarded to all the enrollees, so all the clubs and sections and MDs in Area-1 could have a "conversation", at whatever level they wanted to participate.  It worked.  Maybe not the most elegant and technologically advanced approach, but... it worked.

The issue isn't tools.  We have plenty of tools.  It isn't even process, IMO.  What we lack (Bruce's Opinion) is a corporate culture that revolves around actual, constructive engagement with our "customers" - the clubs and members of the org.  I personally believe that how we interact with our clubs and members is an indicator of how we view their place in our priority stack.  If we truly believed that our clubs and members are the most important asset we have... it would show in the way we engage and communicate and deliver services.  On everything, from strategic decisions through routine meeting report-outs to broad-scale marketing research (polling, etc). 

Right now we're doing very little of that.  I'm hoping our next president, whoever that is, will help not just with the operations, but will bring a fresh perspective to our culture. We need to build a culture where it is patently unacceptable to NOT communicate effectively.  JMNSHO.

If we get the culture straight, I believe the processes will change as a matter of course.   They'll have to.

• Stubb, LeadChucker and Mike Foley like this

#37 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Maybe this is just me, thinking I'm a special snowflake, but there is some effort. But it's personal effort, not anything institutional...

Bruce, (and I'm asking this only because I was likely referred as one of "two Ken's guys" that Phil wanted to be "hit by a bus" in this podcast, even so a) I'm not a Ken's guy and b) I know at least 5 or 6 people who are working on various PS stuff).

So, was issue with scores from PS not being posted to USPSA site been discussed at the BoD and what was the course of action decided on that?

• Miculek is a Noob likes this

#38 bgary

bgary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

It was discussed at the in-person Board meeting, but I don't know if a specific plan has been drafted on the USPSA side.

When I last talked to Ken about it, it seemed like it would be fairly straightforward; we'd need to get a competent programmer on the USPSA side talking with the team on the PS side for a day or so to work out the feeds and flows, and the actual work should be fairly straightforward.

I've offered to help facilitate that effort (I speak both "USPSA" and "geek"), but I ... uh...  am not currently involved in the work being done, if any.

That probably means the bus is headed for my neighborhood first.

#39 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

That was the most annoying part of the podcast for me. There's such paranoia on the part of Kim, Phil, and the board members who are technophobes... "we don't understand what that Ken Nelson guy does or how Practiscore works, or have any vision of how awesome the tech could be with just a little effort, but he's rich and successful and therefore must be shunned like he's a Bond villain."

Ferchrissakes, has Ken ever said he doesn't want match scores getting posted to USPSA? Fuck no, he said right on the podcast that the APIs were ready to go and he just wanted it to be a two-way street.

ETA: this doesn't include Bruce, but I have little faith in the rest of the board. And heaven help us if Manny wins, Mr. I-Can't-Get-My-Ipad-Charged guy.

• Stubb, LeadChucker and bgary like this

#40 euxx

euxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

It was discussed at the in-person Board meeting, but I don't know if a specific plan has been drafted on the USPSA side.

Hmm. What's the point to discuss anything if nothing happen after that?

PS: appreciate the answer though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users