Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Part 1

Just got in a DVC Open I ordered several months ago.   That’s right; I said Open.  It’s for astigmatism, you can tell your friends.  This isn’t optics to carry in your purse.  This is race optics.  Hey some people like to track spec miatas or a spec E30 while others like a GT3 or Z06.  Whatever!

Back to the DVC Open – not much has been said about them from people who’ve gotten them, so let’s end that right now with some pointless comparisons and trivial superficial observations. 

Overall the quality looks good.   The finish, both the barrel and the gun, is not as shiny as some pictures had indicated and to me that’s good.  No blemishes on the outside. 

1442057473_zps5c610f95.jpg

After disassembling, I noticed a burr on the bottom of the slide on a hole that had been milled.  A quick filing ended that issue.  Lock up is tight; the slide is tight, just as it should be on a new gun.  Here it is next to a Trubor:

1442057159_zps00ed4c53.jpg

It does come with a threaded mag release on which I installed a button.

1442057436_zps97cdd80a.jpg

The tool-free guide rod is standard too:

1442057128_zpsb70ac24a.jpg

The stippling and undercuts are well done.  Next to a Dawson Signature Series:

1442057512_zps5a54c96d.jpg

• Cajun cracker, slemmo, Jack Steele and 2 others like this

On injured reserve.

#2 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

Part 2

The gun came with a 140 and a 170 magazine.  That’s a decent upgrade and it’s appreciated.  Brazos is a first class vendor as well.  I took it out to fire, but it was sprung pretty strong and the 9.3 grain of 3n38 I use on the Dawson was not enough to cycle the gun, so it was shoot one rack one so I put it back in the case after about 10 shots and will work out a spring/load combination later.  However, the gun did come sighted in very close, which was nice as well, and the early indication is it will be plenty accurate.

For the hell of it, a shot next to Tanfo’s.

1442057347_zps5da0bfcd.jpg

How’s the trigger?   About even with the Trubor in which I had installed a trigger upgrade kit from Brazos.  So that makes it pretty nice.  I didn’t measure it, but it’s much lighter than the stock Trubor – I can’t see doing anything more to than using it at this point.  It’s not the glass-breaking nirvana of the Infinity trigger, but that Infinity has a lot of rounds through it and it is super light and crisp – perfection (the real kind).

The racker borders on great.  The ball detents mean easy on and off, and easy switch to either side.  The racker is textured well and it’s a good size; the only improvement I’d like is for it to be angled up like the Infinity.

1442057210_zps2c89d26a.jpg

1442057289_zps25a8aa05.jpg

• GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#3 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

Part 3

The compensator is slightly changed from the Trubor; mostly just a couple of extra slots on the side.

1442057182_zpsca4c1263.jpg

Here’s the Dawson, a Trubor, the DVC Open, and an SVI:

1442057008_zps2cccb9d8.jpg

1442057089_zps8e6bde34.jpg

1442057026_zps66aad2fc.jpg

• GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#4 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

Part 4

Compared to the Trubor, it’s a nicely upgraded piece.  It’s in line with the Dawson Signature IMO.  It’s not an Infinity.  Let’s break that down.

1442057375_zpsdbb243bb.jpg

As mentioned, the Infinity trigger is simply fantastic.  The one I have is well used (mostly not by me) and was set up to be great rather than a production piece and it is well ahead.  How much practical difference that may make I don’t know but a fine trigger is worth noting.  However, the DVC trigger is ready to go out of the box even if it’s not at a truly hand tuned level.

The magwell nod goes to the Infinity as well (at least the one I’ve got), as the larger unit supports my hand during gripping better and is a more generous target for reloads. 

1442057236_zpsea09155f.jpg

1442057405_zpsf4818934.jpg

The Infinity grip wins for me.  The shape of it really encourages the hand to ride very high in the grip.  It’s a slightly different shape that makes a real felt difference.  Also, no grip safety is a plus in my book.

1442057320_zpsf224ae7d.jpg

1442057041_zpsa87adfaf.jpg

The Infinity mount is a slight winner too, as it moves the sight back more than the standard STI.

1442057262_zps10f87eea.jpg

Last comment on the Infinity:  I also like the thumb guards and if I end up shooting the STI’s will see about getting some installed.

Alright, so that’s it.  Nice gun.  Aside from dealing with spring weight and load development, it’s ready to rock and doesn’t need more crap done to it. 

• GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#5 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

I bet you like broadway showtunes, are an expert on fashion, and run a bed and breakfast in Key West with a life partner named Biff.  

You should just bring your "guns" out of the closet already.  We won't judge.  Much.  

• Trigger Warning likes this

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#6 pmt

pmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

I like broadway showtunes, am an expert on fashion, and run a bed and breakfast in Key West with a life partner named Biff.  

But enough about me,... nice write-up.

• Harry Palmer, ZachJ and Trigger Warning like this

#7 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Great write-up!

Any plans on adding the infinity steel grip to the DVC? I have the DVC 40 s&w and I've been thinking about an upgrade to the infinity grip. I also need to do some polishing on the internals of mine too, did you use flitz or something else?

#8 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

I just picked it up at PDHSC Thursday, broke it down, oiled it up and fired a few rounds through it so I haven't really been through it yet.  I just used a rough file to get rid of the burr.

I do like the SV grip better, but I'm impressed by the DVC - I like it a bit over the Dawson.  

Overall it seems like a real quality piece; I put a lighter recoil spring on it and I'll have it out again next week and see if I can get it running.

Nice thought on the grip and I'll do some checking on that for sure.  I'm going to run it a bit and see if I like it over the Dawson as a back up.

• Will likes this

On injured reserve.

#9 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Very thorough review but you forgot to mention that Open is dumb.
  • Miculek is a Noob, GuanoLoco, Frask and 1 other like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#10 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Shit I knew I missed something. I got distracted by mentioning purse optics which is dumber even if only slightly.

On injured reserve.

#11 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

What, no dot comparison pictures? Fail.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#12 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:21 AM

Got shiny Lyman digital trigger gauge in.

The DVC measured about 2 pounds 8 ounces. The Dawson 2 pounds 2 ounces. The Infinity 1 pound 3 ounces.
  • GuanoLoco likes this

On injured reserve.

#13 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

Got shiny Lyman digital trigger gauge in.

The DVC measured about 2 pounds 8 ounces. The Dawson 2 pounds 2 ounces. The Infinity 1 pound 3 ounces.

Are you going to sue STI?

#14 barry owens

barry owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Jeebus, 2.8 LBS? How do you even pull such an atrocious trigger?

Full Retard Custom Guns

M-m-m-making shooters h-h-h-happy, since 2012.......no refunds.

WARNING!!!!! My posts contain no actual shooting value.

#15 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

I think the way a trigger that heavy was meant to be pulled is to use both index fingers.  Seems the only way.

Anyway, so far the NYC trigger isn't the biggest obstacle or the sole basis for a class action since I still don't have it running.  I put a lighter spring in it and it is still a single shot.  Time to break out the chrono and the heavier loads.  This is the life of a mid-pack open shooter.

On injured reserve.

#16 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

since I still don't have it running.  I put a lighter spring in it and it is still a single shot.  

An STI open pistol that doesn't function right out of the box? Unheard of I say!!!

• Trigger Warning likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

I think the way a trigger that heavy was meant to be pulled is to use both index fingers.  Seems the only way.

Anyway, so far the NYC trigger isn't the biggest obstacle or the sole basis for a class action since I still don't have it running.  I put a lighter spring in it and it is still a single shot.  Time to break out the chrono and the heavier loads.  This is the life of a mid-pack open shooter.

There are no mid-pack shooters on Doodie.

Everyone here is a Champion, Real Champion, Champion* or at least above average relative to all the other Doodies.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#18 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

An STI open pistol that doesn't function right out of the box? Unheard of I say!!!

Show me an open gun setup for major that will run on factory / minor ammo out of the box. Thinking you can change the springs and run the gun is wishful thinking, not a fuckup by STI.

They get a bad rap because they make guns for people who understand how guns work but sell them to any jackass with a couple grand to blow.

A fucking Chrono to work up open major loads? No shit - that should be step one.
  • peterthefish likes this

#19 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

It's telling that you like your own post.  On the other hand I've seen a lot of new STIs that wouldn't run out of the box, best to buy one from Dawson or have it shipped direct to a competent gunsmith to get it going first.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#20 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

I'm not a 2011 scientist like a buyer of an STI should be I guess, but I'm not trashing the gun.  If it fails when I take the time to work up loads for it and go through it I'll be sure to post up so my misery can be enjoyed!

On injured reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users