36 replies to this topic

#21 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

It's telling that you like your own post. On the other hand I've seen a lot of new STIs that wouldn't run out of the box, best to buy one from Dawson or have it shipped direct to a competent gunsmith to get it going first.

As old as you are I bet you've seen a lot of manufacturers guns that won't run out of the box. Probably saw the rise and fall of Colt. What's your point?
  • Miculek is a Noob likes this

#22 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

I'm not a 2011 scientist like a buyer of an STI should be I guess, but I'm not trashing the gun. If it fails when I take the time to work up loads for it and go through it I'll be sure to post up so my misery can be enjoyed!

Reloading is a science. Imagine that.

#23 yomamma

yomamma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

How's it compare to a $3000 Salient Arms Glock?  

• Frask likes this

#24 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

As old as you are I bet you've seen a lot of manufacturers guns that won't run out of the box. Probably saw the rise and fall of Colt. What's your point?

My point is a STI Open pistol is close to a kit gun, even with good major power ammo most won't work out of the box, that's a lot of money to pay for a kit. Lot's of little independent gunsmiths out there can sell you one that will work sometimes for less money especially when you consider what you'll spend to get your factory gun running. Just fact that's my point. I like STIs just think they aren't that good a value when they don't work, even some Limited Edge types don't run out of the box. My point also is they should. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer them for you.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#25 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Why can't somebody make a 2011 that runs for $1200?

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#26 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

My point is a STI Open pistol is close to a kit gun, even with good major power ammo most won't work out of the box, that's a lot of money to pay for a kit. Lot's of little independent gunsmiths out there can sell you one that will work sometimes for less money especially when you consider what you'll spend to get your factory gun running. Just fact that's my point. I like STIs just think they aren't that good a value when they don't work, even some Limited Edge types don't run out of the box. My point also is they should. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Maybe STIs used to suck. I have yet to run across one that won't run out of the box except for user error.

And BENOS is littered with custom guns that need to go back any number of times to run.

#27 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:41 PM

I've had three and all ran perfect out of the box.

Good troll on sarge in the off center pin strikes

#28 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

I've had three and all ran perfect out of the box.

Good troll on sarge in the off center pin strikes

What, me, troll 💩?

#29 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

Dawson slide on the left; DVC on the right. Check out the DVC extractor.
1443127837_zpskbcsl9e0.jpg

On injured reserve.

#30 peterthefish

peterthefish

Banned.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

Dawson slide on the left; DVC on the right. Check out the DVC extractor.
Posted Image

Such a shitty pic. What are you trying to illustrate?

#31 Miculek is a Noob

Miculek is a Noob

V.C.R.O.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:00 AM

I know! The Dawson slide is shitty because it's off center.

#32 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

The DVC extractor is just forward enough it might keep the gun slightly out of battery?

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#33 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Need to take two pictures directly above each slide if you want a real comparison shot. I think you might be pointing out the amount of clearance between the extractor hook and the case rim on the right hand slide. In other words the distance the hook is from the breach face. It probably is a bit too much, can't tell on the left slide because of the angle the pic was taken. It looks much tighter (closer to the breach face)  from what you can see. Too tight and you can have feeding problems, too loose and you can have extraction problems. I would assume either company would make sure the barrel relief is enough to prevent it from striking the extractor.  The extractor on the right is fit so the extractor hook engages the inside groove of the case, on the left it might (can't really tell because shitty pic) be set up so the case "rim" engages the inside part of the extractor and the hook doesn't contact the inside groove, both ways work some gunsmiths do it the first way and others the second.  Other than that I can't think of what you're trying to show.

#34 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

You were right - I was thinking the distance was an issue. I replaced that extractor with an aftec and extraction problem is gone. Had some failure to feeds - working on that now. Haven't shot it much yet I was too tightly focused on coming in mid-pack at our sectional this weekend.

On injured reserve.

#35 Gunshy

Gunshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Dvc is crap!

#36 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

You were right - I was thinking the distance was an issue. I replaced that extractor with an aftec and extraction problem is gone. Had some failure to feeds - working on that now. Haven't shot it much yet I was too tightly focused on coming in mid-pack at our sectional this weekend.

If you have both springs in your AFTEC try it with just one, the feeding problem might disappear.

#37 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

I appreciate the tip and will try that if it gives me more problems.  

I've run a few hundred rounds through it now with no problems.  I even shot it with minor today and it worked.

On injured reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users